Help

Sammysprinklers

New Member!
Feb 22, 2017
Kentucky
I have an American elite strat and it's my first start on electric even tho I'm an intermediate player already. It buzzes when played acoustically or plugged up but at low volume when plugged up. Is this normal ?

Fendereedo

Most Honored Senior Member
May 7, 2014
Bollocks
Agree with the guy's above, get your Strat a good set up. Then get yourself onto YouTube and watch a few set up and tech vids to save you money in the future.

Sammysprinklers

New Member!
Feb 22, 2017
Kentucky
Just making this clear it buzzes with the string. U can hear the note the note rings out but it doesn't choke the string. And u can hear it when the amp is at a good volume

Mandrax

Senior Stratmaster
Mar 25, 2013
UK
Find a reputable luthier in your area and let him do his stuff. You will not regret it. The other option is to do some research and sort it out yourself.

Ebidis

Providing the world with flat bends since 1985
Nov 14, 2013
Alabama
Just making this clear it buzzes with the string. U can hear the note the note rings out but it doesn't choke the string. And u can hear it when the amp is at a good volume
As everyone has already said; your guitar needs a setup.

Guitarmageddon

Dr. Stratster
Apr 19, 2014
Canada

If you are an intermediate acoustic player and changing to electric for the first time - everything is going to buzz no matter how good the setup is. Acoustic requires a heavier hand. Electric requires a light touch when strumming and fretting notes / chords....

So if a setup doesn't fix it don't get discouraged, you just have to adapt...

heltershelton

Vivamus libero Vivamus duris
Jun 5, 2013
Texas
If you are an intermediate acoustic player and changing to electric for the first time - everything is going to buzz no matter how good the setup is. Acoustic requires a heavier hand. Electric requires a light touch when strumming and fretting notes / chords....

while i know you know your stuff, i disagree with the hilighted statement. i am very heavy handed and my electrics dont buzz at all. if i were any more heavy handed i would snap my neck in half, lol.

Sammysprinklers

New Member!
Feb 22, 2017
Kentucky

I've played acoustic with 12's for a while. I'm just now using 10's on electric. I've gotten setups. I've did my own. The only way it stops is super high action. Then the intonation sucks and my playing so sloppy

Guitarmageddon

Dr. Stratster
Apr 19, 2014
Canada
I've played acoustic with 12's for a while. I'm just now using 10's on electric. I've gotten setups. I've did my own. The only way it stops is super high action. Then the intonation sucks and my playing so sloppy

Seems to me you're a very heavy handed player by your description....

Guitarmageddon

Dr. Stratster
Apr 19, 2014
Canada
while i know you know your stuff, i disagree with the hilighted statement. i am very heavy handed and my electrics dont buzz at all. if i were any more heavy handed i would snap my neck in half, lol.

I've heard your playing, you're not heavy handed...when I say heavy handed I mean wild crazy super hard acoustic strumming with wide strokes and basically beating up on the guitar and every note sounds sharp....

Sammysprinklers

New Member!
Feb 22, 2017
Kentucky
I've heard your playing, you're not heavy handed...when I say heavy handed I mean wild crazy super hard acoustic strumming with wide strokes and basically beating up on the guitar and every note sounds sharp....
when I play with a singer I chill but normally I play folk and bluegrass. Up on stage and gotta go like a sturdy strum to get the sound. And if that still isn't heavy handed then idk what to do

Ebidis

Providing the world with flat bends since 1985
Nov 14, 2013
Alabama
There is the possibility that you need a fret level. Unfortunately, it's a common affliction even on brand new high dollar guitars.

milcs

Strat-Talker
Nov 20, 2014
Paris
Just a quick perspective from another Elite owner.

My Elite is by far, the nicest guitar I have played (and my current favorite). Nevertheless, there were quite a few problems with it when I have received it. Unlevelled frets; frets were not crowned and polished; and the fret ends were protruding from the neck. Appalling fret work, really... The guitar is now with my luthier to fix something that should have not been there from the start.

In saying this, this guitar doesn't really buzz (unless I want to make it buzz) and is the nicest, best sounding, more confortable Strat I have ever played. As some mentioned, you have to try to play softly (coming from an acoustic this is even more important). The neck of the Elite is great for preventing truly problematic fret buzz, chocking, etc... The compound radius is great, makes the guitar an amazing one to play and I really can't get enough of it. So, if you don't have notes chocking when fretting, if the notes sound without dieing... I would say you are good to go!

So... to sum up... Learn to play more gently, take it to a good guitar tech and enjoy the Elite. It is a (potentially... if you don't have a complete lemon) wonderful guitar!