Hendrix Flying V

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by WhiteWabbit, Nov 20, 2020 at 7:26 PM.

1. Chuck8436

Chuck8436 Strat-O-Master

Ha I understand. Its definitely more of a standing position guitar. But its more comfortable to play seated than an explorer

abnormaltoy and StratoMutt like this.
  2. StratoMutt

StratoMutt Senior Stratmaster

A friend of mine and I were looking to burn a roll of film for photography class. One of the survivors.

Another. The LP Special up front was an original early 60s TV Yellow model. Love to have snapped that up, but mostly ignored the P-90 to the "superior" dual coil humbucker back then. :(

Rack_s.pg.jpg

abnormaltoy and Chuck8436 like this.
  3. Chuck8436

Chuck8436 Strat-O-Master

Ha wow. I would've made the same mistake. I've made some similar ones. My first Gibson was a 90s gothic explorer. Bought it for 300 and sold it for 500. Thought I was a master at buying and selling guitars. Now theyre worth at least twice as much and rarely pop up. Not as bad as passing up that special, but thats probably the worst I've screwed up with guitars so far. Im sure I'll make more mistakes though.

4. StratoMutt

Do not recall what the Special was selling for, but it was attainable iirc. Was the same shop I bought my used more expensive '73 LPC from.

5. Chuck8436

Chuck8436 Strat-O-Master

I always thought LP customs were cooler anyway. Ha

6. StratoMutt

They are the coolest. Did not know it then.

Oddly enough I wanted a Standard like Jimmy Page had. The used then well worn for a three year old Custom was $300+ cheaper than a new Standard. Cheaper was better.

The double cut Special was the best lower end guitar Gibson ever made and in the classic TV Yellow color no less. I was conditioned by the guitar media of the late 70s to think the P-90 was inferior to the dual coil humbucker back then.

The best example was the early 50s Les Paul Goldtop Tom Scholz of Boston had. He ripped out the P-90 and stuffed a DiMarzio Super Distortion in its place.

My upcoming build will feature a set of https://www.mojotone.com/Pickups_x/P-90Pickups_x/Mojotone-56-Quiet-Coil-P-90-Soapbar-Pickup

I wish I had bought that TV Yellow Special... such a great body shape.

7. Chuck8436

Chuck8436 Strat-O-Master

I like standards too. I have a '76 LPC and I put a Dimarzio super distortion in there too. I still have the original pickups in the case. Even though the special would probably be more valuable, I think you made the right choice

8. StratoMutt

:)

The black and gold Custom is pure class. Tuxedo formal. Not that I am tuxedo formal - never was.

Interesting you have a '76 - the year I went LP shopping. The "problem" with the mid 70s Standards and Customs is what is now regarded as the "Clownburst" finish. An opaque cherry or tobacco outer spray over the translucent yellow center. Not a good look.

The guy I went picture snapping with had a Japanese LP Special copy. I really liked it then, minus the Jurassic P-90 string microphones.

I was a teen punk that thought humbuckers were a necessity.

I'd not care about value now really. That flat double cut shape is what makes it.

9. Chuck8436

Chuck8436 Strat-O-Master

Ha mine is a cherry sunburst. I like it! id post a picture of it but I dont have one handy and its in its case right now. There was a clown burst thread a while back and I posted a pic of it there. And thats why I like SGs. Something about the double cut special just doesnt do it for me

10. abnormaltoy

abnormaltoy Mouth draggin' knuckle breather Silver Member

$10k is a lot of money, certainly no more "outrageous" than some of the collector guitars that come out of the Fender Custom shop (what did Brownie go for?). This is a collector item, it's not meant to be an entry level guitar. This sounds like some fan-man mockery...understandable, since this is a competitor site, I understand...I'm a Gibson guy.

I wouldn't buy one for several reasons, chiefly...it's about $9575 out of my price range right now, I don't like their wiggle stick, I'm not a fan of Hendrix...and...I know it's petty, but I dislike the headstock (it was different on mine).

I think Flying Vs are really comfortable to play sitting down. I could sac punch myself for getting rid of mine.

I agree with @simoncroft it is awful the way his family is milking this dead horse...like Elvis and Ozzy.

s5tuart, simoncroft, Neil.C and 3 others like this.
  11. Chuck8436

Chuck8436 Strat-O-Master

Ah yeah, I totally agree with the Ozzy thing.

abnormaltoy likes this.
  12. abnormaltoy

abnormaltoy Mouth draggin' knuckle breather Silver Member

I thought better of the Ozzy thing, removed it...then put it back when I saw it had been quoted.

s5tuart, StratoMutt and Chuck8436 like this.
  13. StratoMutt

Glad you like the finish. :)

Back then I'd not have cared. Fast forward to today? Not so much.

14. Chuck8436

Chuck8436 Strat-O-Master

Here are the pics from the clown burst thread. It currently has double cream dimarzios and cream plastics. Gold speed knobs too 20200222_185307.jpg 20200403_200935.jpg

Buzzgrowl and StratoMutt like this.
  15. StratoMutt

That was the Custom in this image:

[​IMG]

Chuck8436 likes this.
  16. JamesE

JamesE Strat-O-Master

If you haven't already read it, get Robert Frank's book "Richi$tan" - a very funny book about what it's like to be Nouveau Riche. The desperate rush to have the longest motor boat (yachts have sails IMHO), most expensive car, a wristwatch so phenomenally complicated it's difficult to know what the time is...

By the end of the book you might feel sorry for them!

simoncroft likes this.
  17. axis69

axis69 Senior Stratmaster

idk if thats 10k worth of guitar but if some rich dude wants to blow his wad i cant blame gibson...I think there are some randy rhoads les pauls and jacksons that go for 10k+.
    Im sure gibson isnt happy when slash says mim strats are great and a bargain.
    There are great guitars at the low end of the price spectrum.

Chuck8436 likes this.
  18. Boognish

Boognish Senior Stratmaster

I know Ford makes new owners sign a clause that when you buy a new Ford GT, you can't sell it within a year, maybe it's 2 years. I like the idea for the reasons you stated. I would not like that idea if Fender did that to buyers of a player series Strat. Double edged sword.

19. jbylake

jbylake Regular Dude Silver Member

WhiteWabbit likes this.
  20. jbylake

jbylake Regular Dude Silver Member

:eek: After all of these years, I've never seen a picture of, or heard of Hendrix playing a Flying V. (I was listening to him when he was alive). Just routine, learn something here every time I log on.