Hendrix pick ups

Discussion in 'Pickup Forum' started by Rbert0005, Aug 1, 2020.

1. Rbert0005

Rbert0005 Strat-Talk Member

What’s the difference between the pups in the MIM Hendrix and the Fender Hendrix pups?

Bob

2. jrbirdman

jrbirdman Senior Stratmaster

Probably a couple hundred bucks...sorry, couldn't resist.

But i'm sure Jimi could make anything sound good.

3. dirocyn

dirocyn Senior Stratmaster

From a quick Google search, the MIM Hendrix guitar has American Vintage 65 pickups. I couldn't find a pickup set from Fender that's called a Hendrix set. The Custom Shop Limited Edition Jimi Hendrix Stratocaster has "hand wound '69 Strat" pickups.

Measured info on the custom shop 69 pickup including bode plots is included in this database: http://www.echoesofmars.com/pickup_data/viewer/

If the American Vintage 65 is the same pickup as the Pure Vintage 65, then that pickup is also included in the database.

CS69: loaded resonant frequency peak 4.1k, inductance 2.15 henries
    Pure Vintage 65 3.85k and 2.669 henries.

So the CS69 will be brighter and lower output.

4. billy1187

billy1187 Strat-Talk Member

It’s not my primary sound, but I have some decent history with both CS 69 pickups and Jimi’s music (was partly named after him).

My .02: a set of 69s will do fine in a not-overly-bright Strat but I felt replacing the bridge with an SSL5 was a lot more sensible. It’s just a good vintage Strat sound which is really all you need if you can play the songs well.

Other folks can point out more exact options or equivalents for what Jimi used, and info on amps/rig, but I can guarantee this will more than do the trick on the guitar side of things. Very tried and true for me.

Today I give myself a lot more leeway and don’t worry so much about re-creating a given tone, so for Hendrix sort of things I usually reach for my Strat with SSL2s and ‘59 bridge. Play well enough and really doesn’t matter too much, within reason.

None of this answers your actual question, just throwing it out there.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2020
  5. freddy

freddy Strat-Talk Member

for JH tone you dont need any special or fancy stuff , vintage Marshall , decent strat with vintage inspired pickups i personally prefer the PV 59 and the rest lays in your hands

nickmsmith and Mankonis like this.
  6. jtoomuch

jtoomuch Strat-O-Master

And about 15 4x12 cabs.

7. AxemanVR

AxemanVR I appreciate, therefore I am... Strat-Talk Supporter

Any difference in “quality” is subjective at best... I turn to the Eddie Van Halen / Ted Nugent encounter:

Apparently Eddie Van Halen let Ted Nugent try out his gear, and, guess what? Ted Nugent still sounded like Ted Nugent even when using EVH’s setup...

Last edited: Aug 4, 2020
    Baelzebub likes this.
  8. HazyPurple

HazyPurple Strat-Talker

The ' Jimi ' MiM uses pure vintage '65s. They are just turned upside down.

I picked up a mint green scratch plate, and the wife is away, so thought I'd pay attention to my second love.

The mint definitely goes with purple.

The Seymour SSL 7 definitely goes nice in the bridge.

Aged white control knobs go better than white.

I'll probably put the SSL 5 in the middle, with aged cover and maybe put a cream cool rails in the neck.

Jimi tribute is a good guitar imo IMG_20200806_120657.jpg IMG_20200806_141820.jpg

9. Chubbles

Chubbles Strat-Talker

I could sound exactly like Hendrix if I could afford the guitars, amps and pedals. Oh, talent. I wish I had some his talent too. I have none.

Baelzebub likes this.
  10. gretev

gretev Strat-Talker

If american vintage are built to the same specs as CS 65 Strat pickups then the biggest difference to the 69 CS pickups is that the 65 are wound with polysol coated wire and 69 pickups are wound with enamel wire. This translates to a sound within the 65 pickups that is characterized by heavier mids and quite often they are pretty hot. The 69‘s are very mellow and have heavily scooped mids. My personal favorite Strat pickups are 69‘s or really any enamel coated wire Strat pups (64, 66 and beyond...)

David Garner and EC Strat like this.