Hendrix tone on "Wind Cries Mary"

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by TNTales, Apr 30, 2010.

1. gretev

gretev Strat-O-Master

in 1964 Fender changed from using formvar wire to enamel wire which gives the Strat a very mid scooped tone. In 1965 for one year only they changed to polysol wire which gives the Strat a very pronounced midrange and an upper midrange squawk. in 1966 and subsequent years Fender switched back to enamel wire. I agree with the consensus that any Strat pickup with enamel wire will get you Hendrix tone for days. In my opinion a 1966 Stratocaster specifically renders that "Wind Cries Mary" tone. It has a scooped mid sound, it is dark and yet has pronounced highs.

sonny wolf likes this.
  2. TheDuck

TheDuck Most Honored Senior Member

Pretty good video on the subject ...

3. Electgumbo

Electgumbo Not Of This Earth

TheDuck likes this.
  4. Cerb

Cerb Anti conformist reformist

I'd say that the exact make and model of pickup is one of the least important bits in the signal chain to get the sound of WCM. Just use any strat with a neck single coil and look into the amp/effects.

Blackmore Fan and TheDuck like this.
  5. Martins Strat

Martins Strat Strat-O-Master

That's a great video, thanks for sharing.

6. Pythonman

Pythonman Strat-Talk Member

I heard a guy just about nail that tone long ago using an American Standard Strat into a tweed Blues Deville or a tweed Blues Deluxe with just a hair of reverb. If you listen to Jimis guitar tone on the Are You Experienced album the sounds are fairly attainable on Manic Depression and Hey Joe, and the rest of the album forget about it. Wind Cries Mary the guitar sounds almost like an organ, and Purple Haze is completely unreal. Nobody now nor ever is going to get those sounds. Will I live Tomorrow? No way. Love Or Confusion? I’ll take Confusion for $500.

Cerb likes this.
  7. gretev

gretev Strat-O-Master

Here is my guess: a 1964 or 1966 Stratocaster plugged into a circa 1965 Fender Twin Reverb blackface. Why? 1964 and 1966 Strat pickups both use enamel coated wire which gives the pickups a very scooped mid and mellow tone like you hear on this track. I am thinking it is the neck pickup. The widely available Custom Shop 69 pickups are a close approximation of this pickup.

8. Erik_C

Erik_C Strat-Talker

I've always thought that Jimi used a '63 Strat on the first album which includes 'The Wind Cries Mary'. Don't take my word for it, though.

https://www.mattsguitar.shop/en/guitares-stock/fender-stratocaster-1963-jimi-hendrix

I'm a huge Hendrix fan and all I can say is that the CS '69 pickups I have in my American Standard Strat don't work at all for me in my attempts to get the early Hendrix tone. The MIM Jimi Hendrix Stratocaster - with its American Vintage ’65 pickups - sounds much better. But that's just my personal opinion.

9. Lost Sailor

Lost Sailor Senior Stratmaster

I think that the strings being upside down on those pickups (reverse stagger) has something to do with it.....being a lefty, I can get most of Jimi's tones and sounds. An off the rack CBS Strat strung lefty can get those tones all day.

Electgumbo likes this.
  10. freddy

freddy Strat-Talk Member

for me the following nails by 90% the hendrix tone :

Guitar : classic 50's strat with vintage inspired pickups ( more like 59's )
    Strings : 9-42 pure nickel tuned half step down
    Amp : Marshall SV20 - with both channels jumped guitar plugged to top hole played trough 2X12 loaded with G12-35XC speakers
    played on neck PU with volume around 7-8 and for the dirt tone some Ge vintage fuzz

the rest is in your fingers

11. Powderfinger62

Powderfinger62 New Member!

There is a video of the Jimi Hendrix Experience of Wind Cries Mary from 1967 that shows Jimi playing a Gibson Flying V. I've always played this on my Strats using the neck position pickup and backing down the tone control half way. I also played this on a Gibson ES-335 with the neck pick up and it also sounded right. One of the unknown secrets is he plays those first 3 bar chords (Eb-E-F) while barring the 6th string (the 5th) on each chord.