Hendrix

Discussion in 'Tab & Music Forum' started by Yves, Sep 9, 2019.

1. Yves

Yves Most Honored Senior Member

Do you enjoy learning to play Hendrix?

Do you feel like you're getting something out of it, something you take away and becomes yours?

2. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Guy Who Likes to Play Guitar Silver Member

Yes, but I don't try to copy him note for note. I like to learn some of his techniques and use them as building blocks.

3. Yves

I tend to work on it very sparingly. Picking up a few bits here and there that I like such as the intro to Castles made of sand for instance, or that of little wings.
    It challenges me to adopt a fingering style, chord shapes that out of my comfort zone.
    But never do I try to play the whole thing. Making sure I can still enjoy listening to it.

Chubbles and guitarchaeologist like this.
  4. Yves

I tend to work on it very sparingly. Picking up a few bits here and there that I like such as the intro to Castles made of sand for instance, or that of little wings.
    It challenges me to adopt a fingering style, chord shapes that out of my comfort zone.
    But never do I try to play the whole thing. Making sure I can still enjoy listening to it.

5. Yves

So I think I pretty much do the same as you @Triple Jim

6. Yves

So I think I pretty much do the same as you @Triple Jim

Triple Jim likes this.
  7. mabley123

mabley123 Senior Stratmaster

I try and learn everything note for note. Not just Hendrix, then I will embellish my own stuff into it after I have done the best I can vs the original.

8. gibsonsmu

gibsonsmu Senior Stratmaster

I try to learn note for note. I feel that way I get all the little stuff

9. fezz parka

fezz parka fezz parka

I take what is useful to me. Mostly his Mayfield inspired stuff.

FWIW...I've been playing a lot longer than he did. I just might know stuff he didn't. ;)

10. Yves

I do have Hendrix playing in my ears on a 2-3 times a week...maybe more. It's almost like smoking to me it seems, I seem to be addicted to this stuff.
    By listening over repeatedly I start to understand some of his riffs and find myself able to replicate them.
    I can't though get myself to work over a complete number aiming at playing the whole thing.

**It seems the forum is back running fine now

Andrew Wasson likes this.
  11. fezz parka

fezz parka fezz parka

What he plays...is pretty straight ahead. How he plays it...what he puts into it...is where the rubber meets the road. :)

12. circles

circles Resident Pinball Enthusiast

Honestly, while I understand and respect his influence on rock guitar, I've never been inspired to emulate him, or study his music. Love much of his music, but it has never inspired me like it does the guys I currently jam with.

Whenever they wanna jam on a Hendrix song they just shout over 'f sharp minor mike' or something, I hack through my turn with lots of distortion and delay, and wah if I remember. They can jam with that feel a lot better than me.

Yves likes this.
  13. WhiteWabbit

WhiteWabbit Senior Stratmaster

I try to cop his feel. No other guitar player inspires me as much.

14. himijendrix

himijendrix Senior Stratmaster

I play a few of his songs, like Axis and Wind Cries Mary, to pick up his techniques and a few licks.

In particular, his use of the major pentatonic scale has been a big influence on my playing.

15. thebowl

thebowl Strat-Talker

Bearing in mind that Jimi's background was backing soul musicians and playing a lot of rhythm in a relatively large ensemble, I tend to focus on his rhythm work. No better way to understand how to use double-stops to move around the major pentatonic scale. That and ungodly string bends.

guitarchaeologist, mabley123 and Yves like this.
  16. Electgumbo

Electgumbo Not Of This Earth

Ah Jeez Dat Guy??? Whooee!!!

17. Chont

Chont Most Honored Senior Member

I wish I could take lessons from @Electgumbo. Then I might get somewhere with it. I usually get frustrated because I can’t get that Hendrix thumb over bar chord with the pinky hammer on thingy. Among other things.

I also would love to take some delta/country blues lessons.

18. spyglass

spyglass Strat-O-Master

Been working on Hendrix stuff amongst other things for years and know the ins and outs of his playing pretty well I'm screwing around with his Woodstock and band of Gypsies stuff now as I have the tab books which get me through it pretty easily and its always been a joy to learn his material,I have gained so much from it,Especially different chord embellishments.

19. guitarchaeologist

guitarchaeologist Guitartist Silver Member

The take away for us mortal guitarists is the way he takes a simple song and fills it. Think how basic VooDoo Chile is, then think about how weak we all sound when trying to play it!

@fezz parka mentioned his Mayfield-style stuff, @Yves mentioned Castles Made of Sand & Little Wing... to me, this is the important stuff we can take from Hendrix.

Once I worked out a version of Little Wing, it changed the way I had played guitar for years.
    Use of the over-neck thumb (& consequently almost abandoning the standard barre chord); chord embellishments (made possible by use of the over-neck thumb), fills between chords (also made easier by the over-neck thumb), and best of all, getting at least a small understanding of where that stuff is coming from (theoretically and historically).

Another opinion I will share- if you want the best primer in learning Hendrix, learn these three songs:
    Hey Joe (circle of fifths theory stuff)
    Little Wing (intro has all the stuff I mentioned above- thumb over chords, embellishments, fills, etc.)
    Castles Made of Sand (similar to Little Wing, but different)

I posted a vid a few days ago about playing rhythm guitar. For me, Hendrix is the ultimate rhythm guitarist.

Oh, I'll add this. A couple months ago I started jamming with some local expats. I ended up being the main guitarist (we all played guitar, but some went over to bass, drums, and keyboards). We played Sittin on the Dock of the Bay a couple times then moved onto to some other shiny new song. A few minutes later, one of the guys said, Hey, let's go back to that Otis Redding song. I love that Hendrix stuff John was throwing in there.
    There was no lead in that song, just rhythm.
    I think my head grew three sizes. Best compliment ever.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2019
  20. fezz parka

fezz parka fezz parka

Take what you need and be you for the rest of it. From my Birthday Blues thread:

Andrew Wasson, Nate D, Cerb and 8 others like this.