Hey guys! Can someone help to identify if this is a real strat or a fake one?

Rocket123

New Member!
Jun 27, 2022
Lebanon
I saw this fender strat and i'm interested in buying it, but there's not a serial number on it or where it's made, i asked about it and they said that the owner removed it from the back of the headstock, polished it or something like that. So can you help identify if it's real or a fake one? And they're selling it for 200$ because the serial is removed.

Attachments

• IMG-20220627-WA0119.jpg
    IMG-20220627-WA0119.jpg
    169.7 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG-20220627-WA0120.jpg
    IMG-20220627-WA0120.jpg
    143.4 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG-20220627-WA0122.jpg
    IMG-20220627-WA0122.jpg
    183.3 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG-20220627-WA0121.jpg
    IMG-20220627-WA0121.jpg
    189.2 KB · Views: 68

jamesn1229

New Member!
May 26, 2022
Dallas, Tx
Definitely the headstock gives it away IMO. Font looks off to me, and the cut around the circle looks shotty to me.

HOWEVER... for the 200 dollar range I wouldn't immediately pass. I would ask to take the pickguard off to see what type of pickups you have. If they have Tex Mex or better pickups in it, that one puts the guitar at 100 dollar + value on that piece alone. Not sure what they really do differently at the Fender factory vs China/Indonesia to wind those pickups, but the difference is always noticeable in the tone, and eventually you'll be forking out 100 bucks to get better pickups anyways so that alone is a 100 dollar question.

Look at the body size as well. If it's a real "thin" strat then I'd walk on it, but if it's got good size for a strat body then that's still a good buy depending on if you plan on stripping it in the future. Those real thin strats that you typically see with Squires, or DIY kits really are a one-and-done when it comes to finishes because of the need to sand it down. Personally I'd spend 200 dollars on a fake Strat myself IF it had a nice body that I could strip down, and take apart to rebuild a guitar on par with at least an 800 dollar MIM strat.

With a guitar like this, just look at it as an investment of your time, and what you'll have to do to it. Otherwise it'll be a guitar you'll probably not be taking a loss when you go to sell it, or it'll be wall art when you want a much better strat and end up forking over 1000 bucks anyways.

Ebidis

Providing the world with flat bends since 1985
Nov 14, 2013
Alabama
Definitely the headstock gives it away IMO. Font looks off to me, and the cut around the circle looks shotty to me.

HOWEVER... for the 200 dollar range I wouldn't immediately pass. I would ask to take the pickguard off to see what type of pickups you have. If they have Tex Mex or better pickups in it, that one puts the guitar at 100 dollar + value on that piece alone. Not sure what they really do differently at the Fender factory vs China/Indonesia to wind those pickups, but the difference is always noticeable in the tone, and eventually you'll be forking out 100 bucks to get better pickups anyways so that alone is a 100 dollar question.

Look at the body size as well. If it's a real "thin" strat then I'd walk on it, but if it's got good size for a strat body then that's still a good buy depending on if you plan on stripping it in the future. Those real thin strats that you typically see with Squires, or DIY kits really are a one-and-done when it comes to finishes because of the need to sand it down. Personally I'd spend 200 dollars on a fake Strat myself IF it had a nice body that I could strip down, and take apart to rebuild a guitar on par with at least an 800 dollar MIM strat.
No way that is worth $200.

You can buy guitars like this for less than $100 all day long on Ali Baba.

It is a cheap counterfeit. You'd be better off buying a Glarry, at least you would have some kind of warranty.

FrieAsABird

Senior Stratmaster
Mar 18, 2020
Germany
That's not even a Squier. It's a generic Chinese made counterfeit.
It might have been a Squier once, the neck shape, heel, headstock size etc are very very close to a ca 2005 MiC Bullet neck i used to own, but again, definitely not a Fender and far from worth 200!

jamesn1229

New Member!
May 26, 2022
Dallas, Tx
No way that is worth $200.

You can buy guitars like this for less than $100 all day long on Ali Baba.

It is a cheap counterfeit. You'd be better off buying a Glarry, at least you would have some kind of warranty.

I agree. You'd certainly want to talk them down because you can get probably a better DIY strat for 100 bucks where you'd be needing to do just as much work on that one as you will this one. The question for me is really based on how big the body is. If you order a 100 dollar Ali Baba you are probably assuming that its the thinnest cut you can imagine. Either way you are going to eventually need to A. replace the pickups/switches/pots and B. Do fret work so there's no point in paying 200 dollars when you can just pay 100 dollars to get you started. But the body size IMO is the thing you are looking for that might be worth paying a bit more for if you luck out and fine one with a buy like this.

Ebidis

Providing the world with flat bends since 1985
Nov 14, 2013
Alabama
I agree. You'd certainly want to talk them down because you can get probably a better DIY strat for 100 bucks where you'd be needing to do just as much work on that one as you will this one. The question for me is really based on how big the body is. If you order a 100 dollar Ali Baba you are probably assuming that its the thinnest cut you can imagine. Either way you are going to eventually need to A. replace the pickups/switches/pots and B. Do fret work so there's no point in paying 200 dollars when you can just pay 100 dollars to get you started. But the body size IMO is the thing you are looking for that might be worth paying a bit more for if you luck out and fine one with a buy like this.
Find a used Glarry or Donner or Mono Price guitar for probably less than $100, or even brand new, less than $200 and you will have a finished full size body.

No need to deal with shady garbage like this.