HH. guitar pot suggestion , the volume knob riders

Discussion in 'Tech-Talk' started by SilvaStrat, Nov 12, 2019.

1. SilvaStrat

SilvaStrat Strat-O-Master

this question goes for the guys that use the volume knob to effect distortion on a deluxe reverb or 5e3 type amp

I am not happy with two guitars of mine with HH configuration, they affect the volume very little till 7, and on 9 the are fully open, but there is a jump, on 10 there is a 3 millimeter of knob twisting that does not affect the sound, I kinda like the idea of being fully open when on 10, but not the jump, any suggestion on what look for ?

2. Believer7713

Believer7713 The Pink Bunnyman Frankenstein Silver Member

I like using B500K pots even on volume. They are smoother through the entire sweep. Some will say not to use them but they work fine.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

SilvaStrat likes this.
  3. nutball73

nutball73 Senior Stratmaster

You might want to check what pots you have. The best control is using A500k pots, which are audio taper (logrithmic). It sounds a bit like you've got linear pots in (B500k).

Volume isn't linear to output, so a logarithmic pot should give a smoother response to the ear.

If not, try the opposite! Whatever suits you.

4. SilvaStrat

one of my humbuckers set are too bright, I am also considering going 250 k pot, they are a set of Lollar El Rayo, they are very low output, is that a good idea ?

5. Believer7713

Believer7713 The Pink Bunnyman Frankenstein Silver Member

It really comes down to personal preference. Tone is very subjective and there's nothing wrong with experimentation to find your perfect fit. 250k won't do any damage and it isn't hard to change back. The one thing I would suggest before going that deep would be to turn the knobs in the EQ section of your amp and pedals first...if you haven't already. A little EQ adjustment can go a long way.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

SilvaStrat likes this.
  6. sam_in_cali

sam_in_cali Scream for me Strat-Talk! Silver Member

One of the first things I do to any guitar I know I'm going to keep, is replace the stock volume knob with a Seymour Duncan YJM speed-pot. I don't do a lot of volume swells or stuff like that, but I do rely on my volume control to quickly go from cranked to clean/off with minimal friction and for that, its a great easy upgrade. Beware, it will spoil you for any other knob though, haha

SilvaStrat likes this.
  7. Seymour Duncan

Seymour Duncan Senior Stratmaster

Yeah, I love the YJM Pots, but I also use them for tone controls, too- I am constantly using them, so I need quick, precise control of them. The OP may need to try out a bunch of different pots to see which ones work. They can have different tapers, and might work in a linear or log way.

8. Ash-Man

Ash-Man Senior Stratmaster

The DiMarzio custom tapers are solid gold man, I control my gain structure with the volume knob and I wouldn't leave home without 'em I swear by em in my HH strat

9. nutball73

nutball73 Senior Stratmaster

I wouldn't do that - it's hard to get the brightness back when you need it! Use your tone controls to dull it a bit.

I'm assuming this is a strat style with 3 knobs? If so I'd wire Volume, Tone, Tone with a tone control for each pickup, giving you the most flexibility.

On a Les Paul I'd recommend the old 59 wiring, which makes the tone controls do wierd and wonderful things in conjunction with the volume controls; you can get some great sounds that way.

10. jvin248

jvin248 Senior Stratmaster

Measure your volume pot actual kohms. It may be stamped with '500k' but it can range from 450k to 550k and still be 'in spec!' where it matters just like 250k vs 500k trends.

250k will darken your too-bright pickup, which can range with actual build between 225k and 275k. Old Gibson LPs shipped with 300k pots (which varied widely as well) to give a darker sounding humbucker output. So a low side 500k or high side 250k pot may be a good experiment.

However, I'd start with pickup height adjustments, including 'tip' E vs e side, if you haven't tried that yet. I will also lower humbuckers and raise the screw poles to get better tone, more Tele bridge or P90 type of tone and less fizzy humbucker output.

The post above with the 59 references the 50's style tone control wiring where the volume and tone interact so you never get what you expect (turn the tone down and the volume goes down). A treble bleed circuit with modern tone pot wiring will work much better, but the TB needs some tweaking of resistor/cap sizing (basically try a few using alligator clips to see what you like before hard soldering it in).

11. freddy

freddy Strat-Talk Member

in terms of pots , since i have discovered the TVT pots made by crazyparts i am not using any other pot on my guitars , highly recommended to all .

i have an A2 Humbucker in as HSS strat shape guitar with 50's wiring with 1 volune and one tone and the 250K TVT pots mentioned above , it totally changed the sound of the guitar and now its sounds better that when it left the factory with better volume and tone control .

i have tried the treble bleed mod as mentioned but i didnt like it that much i still prefer the 50's wiring .

if you are handy guy and you have a soldering equipment this mod can be done is about 30 minutes , you will be surprised with the result .

12. Guppy

Guppy Strat-Talk Member

This doesn't work like that when your amp is compressing the signal. Your ear could work logarithmic but the valves don't necessarily.

Believer7713 likes this.
  13. 93-Strat

93-Strat Strat-O-Master

Sounds like a J taper volume pot is in order if you find one in the value you need. A lot of players use a linear taper volume pot and audio taper for tone pots. A 10% audio pot in a guitar is kind of like an on-off switch. Okay if you leave it all the way up or only move it a little but like you say below 7 or so you can bearly hear it.

SilvaStrat likes this.
  14. SilvaStrat

now that is something I didn't know it existed , I definetly will have to look into it , thanks for the advise

93-Strat likes this.
  15. gjohnson441496

gjohnson441496 Senior Stratmaster

250k pots do darken the tone. I like that about them. I haven’t been soldering long, about 2 years now. Don’t know what I did and haven’t been able to duplicate it but my volume and tone knobs on a single P90 JR I had worked as 2 volumes. It was super easy to dial in the tone I wanted.

SilvaStrat likes this.