Hi, Bryan from GearSecure

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by GearSecureBryan, Mar 13, 2016.

1. GearSecureBryan

GearSecureBryan New Member!

Just wanted to introduce myself and what I do. I have set up a site at http://gearsecure.net to work on the stolen gear problem. In it, you can store your serials and photos to keep them safe and away from home so you always have a record. You can add a police report for anything that might be stolen. You can search for an item you're looking at in any marketplace by kind and serial to verify ownership of seller. Hopefully we can slow or stop the stolen gear problem. We're also providing useful info in our wiki (and would love your help on that) including info on counterfeits and authentication. We're a big community, and through the tools we're creating, can work on stopping this problem.

I won't slip any further ads in, probably buy a banner when I get something behind this.

I'll post any stolen item in proper forums to increase awareness, and visit as I can, but I'm most active on Facebook, and Twitter. I promise I'm very accessible for any questions you may have about anything, anytime. We're behind the music and creative communities for anything they may need.

2. ZlurkCorzDog

ZlurkCorzDog INMATE #7XX7XX7

Howdy, maybe sounds like a good plan.

3. Guy Named Sue

Guy Named Sue Censored

Hi Bryan,

That sounds like a great thing you're doing, if there is anything you need just ask.

Welcome to the forum!

4. DeanIversenGreen

DeanIversenGreen Strat-Talk Member

seriously you people are going to give a total stranger your addresses and the exact gear you have in your home? wow, I would take out extra homeowners insurance on musical instruments just in case and take pictures and document each instrument as well..

for those who don't know this system is already in place, its ran by every LEA in the country and they are ALL networked together along with pawn shops and so on, its actually already the law for business's buying and selling new and used gear, even Guitar Center must enter the serial number into the system and wait 30 days when they take in any used instrument, they have access to the network as do all pawn shops and so on, its now the law they have this system and use it..

just a heads up when giving your ID and other vitals to total strangers, especially if you are going to tell them exactly what you have in your home

and please, this is not intended to be insulting, derogatory or a flame fest in anyway shape or form, even the poster should identify with that, its more of a heads up on what systems are already in place in regards to dealing in used gear, what if this website gets hacked?

peace

Last edited: Mar 18, 2016
    ocean likes this.
  5. ZlurkCorzDog

I see your point. We might should red flag this one, eh?

6. ryunker

ryunker Senior Stratmaster

I live remotely close to the town gearsource has listed. I viewed the site and it looked interesting. The other post brings up valid issue of current data in place, but me as a consumer do I have any access?

I don't think I will jump on this train at his time and enter my data, but looks like a great idea as long as they are not crooks.

7. Guy Named Sue

Guy Named Sue Censored

I agree it sounded like a good idea at first but the other post got me thinking.

And also, did the other post just got his/her membership yesterday used it first post only to reply to this thread? This is a bit too weird for me.

8. TSims1

TSims1 Most Honored Senior Member

I already have a gear security system in place. It's a Glock.

9. ZlurkCorzDog

Right on. Let's keep this thing alive till it gets sorted out. First posts promoting anything seem suspect IMO.
    Don't forget the OP was a first post too & just joined.

10. henderman

henderman Most Honored Senior Member

I do not want to throw the battle axe as a first reaction, but surveys and personal questions are how you are targeted and qualified for a sales presentation, theft or anything else.

You should see the one Scientologists send out, you will be blackmailed forever if you fill it out. It's true so I am saying it.

Generals win wars with information alone, not bullets. Do not tell your enemy what he needs to know to take you out without them even firing a shot...

ocean and Textele like this.
  11. echoes71

echoes71 Senior Stratmaster

Yeah exactly, no thanks, even if you are legit, I just give that info to my insurance company.

12. Hash McBrown

Hash McBrown Senior Stratmaster

It was the asking for driver's license info that spooked me. I'll pass

13. ZlurkCorzDog

Good intel man. Keep it coming if you can.