Hi there...Rocky Stratocaster paint advice.

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by JLD Cymru, Apr 12, 2021.

1. JLD Cymru

JLD Cymru New Member!

Hi everybody.

I was hoping for some advice if possible.

I am hoping to create a replica of the George Harrison Rocky Stratocaster.

I was intending to buy a sonic blue alder body finished in polyurethane from North West guitars and then paint the art work in day glow paint to match how Rocky appears.

This is the first time I would have attempted such a thing and I am not the most knowledgeable or practical of people. From the limited research I have done and I understand that the best way to achieve a good result would be to rough up/scuff the existing finish that is to be painted in order for the artwork paint to setter bind to the body. I think George may have used enamel paint (mainly) but the day glow paints I have seen are acrylic paints. Therefore I intended to use acrylic paint if it was suitable. When the artwork paint was finished I think it would be necessary to seal the new painted artwork with a further polyurethane spray finish to seal it and prevent it degrading.

Does this sound correct/sensible?

Any advice would be appreciated in terms of securing the best finish possible.

Many thanks

Johnathan

tery likes this.
  2. FrieAsABird

FrieAsABird Strat-O-Master

Welcome to the forum! There’s some sort of YouTube documentary about strats in general, somebody posted it recently, where George himself talks about the paint he used. That may be helpful. Cool idea though, I love George :)

Stratman84 likes this.
  3. JLD Cymru

JLD Cymru New Member!

Thanks Frei'.

I think I've seen that one. In it he is a little vague about the exact paint type, though he does reference Pattie Boys nail varnish which I think may be the green glittery bits on the headstock

FrieAsABird likes this.
  4. J4ME5

J4ME5 Strat-O-Master

Croeso :–) !

This sounds like a really fun project! I'm NOT an expert on 'Rocky', the Beatles or painting / refinishing of any kind – but I wonder... could it be an idea perhaps, to source a cheap body – to give a practice-run on? You know... I bet you would learn a TONNE on the first run, seeing what works and what doesn't... – getting any mistakes out of the way!

Just a thought!

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/Wood-Unfini...734613?hash=item5b8da9ba15:g:3TAAAOSwSF9gW4AI
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/100...earchweb0_0,searchweb201602_,searchweb201603_
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/330...earchweb0_0,searchweb201602_,searchweb201603_
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/100...earchweb0_0,searchweb201602_,searchweb201603_

It is a BIG job – but I'm sure it will be a lot of fun, best of luck with it :thumb: !

JLD Cymru likes this.
  5. Seamus OReally

Seamus OReally Mr. Serious Gold Supporting Member

I would assume you can get day-glo enamels at a hobby shop.

6. JLD Cymru

JLD Cymru New Member!

That's probably the sensible thing to do but I cant see myself as having the patience to do it twice. Good idea though

J4ME5 likes this.
  7. Black59

Black59 Strat-Talker

Some insights on paint from the Fender CS video:

JLD Cymru likes this.
  8. tery

tery Dr. Stratster

Welcome to Strat-Talk :)

JLD Cymru likes this.
  9. JLD Cymru

JLD Cymru New Member!

Hello @ForeverFabFour I hope you are well. Im not sure if this message will reach but having searched the forum Im aware that you have relativly recently made a Rocky Stratocaster replica.. I was wondering if you were able to offer advice in terms of the finish. Any help would be gratefully appreciated. Thank in advance. Johnathan