High e string breaking at bridge block

StratsoundFan

Strat-Talker
Aug 13, 2021
Norway
I bought a 2018 Squier contemporary strat a few days ago. I really like the guitar, but the high e string broke two times since I bought it, which effectively makes the guitar unplayable. What's weird is the string always breaks at the bridge block. How do I deal with this problem? Here are a couple of photos:

IMG_20220616_200842.jpg IMG_20220616_200826.jpg

StratsoundFan

Strat-Talker
Aug 13, 2021
Norway
For the record, I have five electric guitars, and this is the only one that has this issue. I've never had a single string broken on any of my guitars before, and I bend strings like crazy all the time.

Guitarmageddon

Dr. Stratster
Apr 19, 2014
Windsor, Ontario, Canada
For the record, I have five electric guitars, and this is the only one that has this issue. I've never had a single string broken on any of my guitars before, and I bend strings like crazy all the time.

Looks like a burr at the bridge plate? The hole the string passes through? Check where the high E comes out.....do you have a magnifying glass?

Afishman9

Strat-Talker
Gold Supporting Member
Jul 29, 2013
NC
Hopefully it’s just a sharp edge or burr. If it’s not, strip the insulation from a piece of wire and put it on the string where it comes out of the block.

CB91710

No GAS shortage here
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Feb 24, 2019
SoCal
Is it breaking at the top of the block/bridge plate, or on the saddle?

Hanaywhat

Strat-Talker
Mar 23, 2022
Vancouver Island
I bought a 2018 Squier contemporary strat a few days ago. I really like the guitar, but the high e string broke two times since I bought it, which effectively makes the guitar unplayable. What's weird is the string always breaks at the bridge block. How do I deal with this problem? Here are a couple of photos:

View attachment 570279 View attachment 570280
I wonder if an Ernie Ball Paradigm string would break.

Jimbo99

Senior Stratmaster
Jun 5, 2021
Palm Coast, FL
How old are the strings sets ? 2 breaks for a 2018 guitar might just mean you need 9.5's or 10's instead of 9's ? Eventually all 9's will break from tuning fatigue even. I've had strings break at the tuning peg (sometimes a binding nut slot), other times the string has broken where the ball end is. Inspect the sting thru holes for a rougher burr & string break angles.

StratsoundFan

Strat-Talker
Aug 13, 2021
Norway
The guitar playes reaaly well, it's set up reasonbly well, I'd say, and the strings were brand new. There has to be something with this very guitar which causes high e string to break repeatedly. I use pure nickel strings on all my guitars, and I can bend two whole steps on high e, and two and a helf steps on b string on all guitars, no problem, except this one. One thing I've noticed regarding the Squier guitar, is the tension is much higher on the high e string relative to other strings. I find it very odd. I've never experienced this with any other guitar.

CB91710

No GAS shortage here
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Feb 24, 2019
SoCal
How old are the strings sets ? 2 breaks for a 2018 guitar might just mean you need 9.5's or 10's instead of 9's ? Eventually all 9's will break from tuning fatigue even. I've had strings break at the tuning peg (sometimes a binding nut slot), other times the string has broken where the ball end is. Inspect the sting thru holes for a rougher burr & string break angles.
I've not broken a string in 40 years.
My first electric... pawn shop LP copy... used to break the D at the bridge.
I think the last one I broke was the octave G on my 12 string acoustic.

Jimbo99

Senior Stratmaster
Jun 5, 2021
Palm Coast, FL
I've not broken a string in 40 years.
My first electric... pawn shop LP copy... used to break the D at the bridge.
I think the last one I broke was the octave G on my 12 string acoustic.
Play them long enough, they'll break & the weakest one of the most often played is the most likely to break. Defects are defects. Every steel based string on this planet will eventually rust or wear out. I've never had an EADGB ever break, the 10 or 9.5 of any set has always lasted a little longer than the 9.