High performance/modern 2 point trem drop in replacement (maybe with rollers?)

Discussion in 'Tech-Talk' started by neandrewthal, Oct 10, 2021.

1. neandrewthal

neandrewthal Strat-Talker

I'm in the planning phase of pimping out my 2 Strats to the max and the ugly rough finish block steel saddles have got to go. I ordered a pre-owned American Professional II tremolo for my Olympic White "vintage" style one and I need something something for my "modern" bastardized humbucker strat (which will be getting a complete new pickguard and rewire with a passive humbucker/single coils).

IMG_20210805_104406459.jpg

I could just get better looking polished offset block saddles but I thought why not go all out. I fell in love with this one this one. I love the look of it, the roller saddles, the screw on (I hate screw in) arm. I almost ordered it then I realized it doesn't fit at all and I should have noticed a lot sooner.

So I tried looking through other options and couldn't find any with rollers. So farthis one seems like my favorite option even though there is nothing really fancy about it. Has anyone used this one? It's pretty cheap. I can't find the technical specs on it though because it seems Wilkinson doesn't have a website.

I thought that money was no option until I saw the Vega-Trem. That one is a bit steep. This one looks interesting:
    image-2376130679.jpg

Does anyone know what it is? Or are there any options that are more like the original Schaller Vintage Tremolo I posted but fit the Fender spacing? I'm looking at the Gotoh 510 series but they aren't really speaking to me. If anyone has a particular recommendation in that line I would take a closer look at it.

2. neandrewthal

Ok I looked at the second picture a little closer (it was a random picture from my inspiration folder) and determined it's a Deluxe Strat Plus with a Fender mini Floyd Rose. Those aren't available as replacement parts.

This video had a few I hadn't heard of but I decided against all of them for various reasons (mostly expensive and ugly).

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5338148356&icep_item=123880684383

Has anyone tried this no name one? It looks pretty ugly and janky to me....but it has rollers...for cheap. Interesting.

So far I'm still leaning towards the Wilkinson WOV08 even though it's not much of a technical upgrade. It seems attractive, affordable and solid though. And to be clear when I say high performance I mostly mean staying in tune. Not like locking Floyd rose staying in tune but hopefully just a bit better than a normal Fender trem hence why I wanted to try rollers. I really hardly ever trem on my Strat but I thought I might use it more often if it stayed in tune a little better and didn't screw in (I hate screwing it in).

3. nutball73

nutball73 Senior Stratmaster

All 2-point bridges perform pretty much the same if set up correctly. So that leaves ease of adjustment and aesthetics.

I personally don't like the VS50/100 bridges because of the need for an Allen key to loosen the saddles. Its one more tool you need, one more screw to lose, and I've had one strip.

I prefer this Wilkinson bridge - nice and solid, smooth finish that doesn't dig in your hands, easy to adjust, push-in trem arm. They do 2-point and 6- screw versions. You can use the existing Fender posts or install the Wilkinson ones.

upload_2021-10-20_8-59-3.png

Leofender and neandrewthal like this.
  4. PCollen

PCollen Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

If the American Standard trem and bridge is good enough for him, it's good enough for me. Don't pimp it, PLAY IT.

JB.jpg

neandrewthal likes this.
  5. Groovey

Groovey Dr. Stratster

True, true.

That said. It's Super Vee Trem for me.

Bowmap, neandrewthal and PCollen like this.
  6. PCollen

PCollen Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

I wouldn't use roller saddles ..never liked the concept or designs I saw.

neandrewthal likes this.
  7. Fenderbaum

Fenderbaum Strat-O-Master

Use locking saddles.. not roller saddles.

[​IMG]

8. Believer7713

Believer7713 The Pink Bunnyman Frankenstein Silver Member

neandrewthal likes this.
  9. Audiowonderland

Audiowonderland Strat-Talker Silver Member

What model is that? It looks like a gotoh 510.

I have always loved the VS100. The saddles being secured is a big plus to me

neandrewthal likes this.
  10. nutball73

nutball73 Senior Stratmaster

I think it's called the Wilkinson Wave.

neandrewthal likes this.
  11. neandrewthal

Wow. I wasn't expecting this thread to take off. I already got the Wilkinson WOV08 and moved onto a new thread about the dilemma installing it. TL/DR new Wilkinson posts don't fit in the fender anchors, I don't want to drill them larger and risk a blowout and the fender bolts are too tall to mount the new trem. I might try trimming down the fender bolts and try it out or I might return it and get something truly drop-in.

So true, true, false :D

Thanks for the suggestion but I imagine the asymmetry between the 2 mounting grooves would drive me crazy. The difference between me and Jeff Beck is he is a real musician so he has more important things to worry about than how his bridge looks. I don't :p

I have seen and never really strongly considered that big one but the mini version is new to me, and it's speaking to me too! And it's available in gold:

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5338148356&icep_item=183234021362

The only thing that concerns me is the saddles look very tall with deep slots. How well do they work for palm muting?

12. tinkertoy

tinkertoy Strat-O-Master

The second pic shows a fender floyd rose bridge from the plus deluxe/ultra lines from 94ish to the end of the production run

13. Believer7713

They are the most comfortable saddles I have ever played on. Palm muting is effortless on them and you don't have those pesky grub screws jabbing and scratching your hand. I've even just bought the saddles only and put them on Fender/Squier bridges. All of my builds have either these bridges or Floyds.

14. neandrewthal

I've almost talked myself into the Babicz. It seems like a cut above the quality of a Wilkinson or even a stock trem while being a lot cheaper than premium ones like the Vega Trem , Blade Runner, Rail-Tail etc... I'm just hung up on the screw in Tremolo arm. How do you find the height of it and have you tried leaving it in while you put your guitar away in its case? I just think if I have to screw it in every time I will never use it.

15. Believer7713

I never leave mine on in the cases. But they will take the stock arm from most strats. Here are some pics of mine (4 of them)
    20211021_182819.jpg 20211021_182827.jpg 20211021_182844.jpg 20211021_182855.jpg
    The last 2 are arms that I cut myself into shorties which takes away from the heights and they would probably fit in a case depending on the construction of the case.
    It literally only takes me a couple seconds to screw one on and then to remove it so I don't worry about that much. I use the bars all the time too.

16. neandrewthal

Many thanks for the pics. They don't seem to really dive down close to the body when you spin them in opposite direction (away from the pickguard) like a Fender screw in does. In fact I just tried this on my other Am Stand Strat before changing its bridge and I found it sort of does fit in the case. But then I changed it to an American Professional II bridge and I guess I sort of misunderstood what a pop-in arm is. I thought the point was to make it easier to install and remove. It's the extreme opposite because you have to depress the bridge all the way down and screw a hex key inside each time. And the arm also sticks up proud throughout all 360 degrees of its rotation so there is no way to fit in a case. Welp, I guess a screw in arm is what I want after all. And as for my Pro II bridge I might have to put one of my Standard blocks on it and then I will have just an expensive platform for holding non-offset saddles :D