Highest quality pots?

Discussion in 'Tech-Talk' started by Guitarmoron, Jul 19, 2015.

1. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh needs you to go ahead and come in on Sunday, too.

This.
    You can also get Orange drop caps for under $2 all day long. Why skimp out on those when the difference for an entire build is a few dollars?

2. stratman323

stratman323 Dr. Stratster

I'm surprised anyone else is still posting after Ron Kirn's earlier post. What else is there to say after that?

Caddy likes this.
  3. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Most Honored Senior Member

here's a bit of my experience... Over the years, occasionally someone will order a guitar who's output it a "straight line, or may be interrupted by a single volume pot... in either case,t eh goal was to eliminate as much "stuff" in the signal path as possible.

Those guitar consistently have a clarity simply not found in a guitar with the "full Monty" as far as electronics go.. and those with very complex circuits, usually sound as veiled as can be..

RK

EAllen likes this.
  4. stratman323

That makes sense. But with trebley guitars like Teles & Strats, one might ask just how much "clarity" is desirable. Strats & Teles are more likely to have too much top end than too little, so perhaps a little extra in the signal path is a good thing? I can't think of few things worse than an ice pick guitar sound that sends people in the front rows running for cover.

5. Vindibona1

Vindibona1 Most Honored Senior Member

6. Ronkirn

OK... Videos from guys that apparently know little... help no one..

I made it as far as 3:00 where he says the little "nibs" on the pot are for balancing the installation of the pot into the Les Paul... NO... that is incorrect..

the two nibs are positioning tabs, ... when chassis are made to accommodate the pots, the standard mounting hole of 3/8ths is accompanied by a couple of smaller holes, located at "3 and 9" to receive those nibs... this positioning the pot in the designer's correct position.

allowing those protrusions to pierce the inside of a top runs the risk of leaving some sort of "beauty" mark on the finished surface.

Ron Kirn

EAllen and Believer7713 like this.
  7. Ronkirn

There is a difference between "clarity" also known as articulation, and trebly. Articulation impacts the entire audio spectrum whereas "trebly" is confined to the higher frequencies.

Example, in high resolution sound reproduction, the sound of the Bass Drum will be crisp, you can hear the "snap" of mylar "skins"... an immediate transient as the pedal slaps the drum head... it has an "alive" sense to it.

In low resolution reproduction, the same drum would have more of what we call a "Juke box" sound... where the characteristics of the sound that yield the alive sound are smeared, or simply not reproduced.. This is the sound those with the super automobile audio systems think make for superiority, where the "bass" reproduction can make change "jump" on the trunk lid (the boot lid) as it's being played...

This effect is true through out the entire audio spectrum, I used the Bass drum example simply because many are familiar with what a "live" performance on a Bass Drum sounds like, as compared to the gawddawfull "juke box" sound < talking '50's / 60's ca. Juke Boxes..

rk

8. tomasino

tomasino Strat-Talker

Personally, I can't stand the Log pots. Just not enough fine tune control.
    Taper pots all the way! The more Linear the better, but as long as it tapers I'm fine.

Got introduced to the CTS Linear Tapers' in the ThinLine build (Thanks Telenator!)

Got the Emerson Pro CTS pots in the queue for the Paulownia Strat build.

9. Vindibona1

Vindibona1 Most Honored Senior Member

Ok.. Video errors aside, I have wired guitars with Gibson pots and can personally attest to their quality. Also used CTS and most recently the Dimarzio/CTS pots. All of them work but the Gibson just feels of quality.

10. Namelyguitar

Namelyguitar Most Honored Senior Member

+1 Another vote for Bourns.

11. SteveAye

SteveAye Strat-Talker

You don't need more accurate pots, like I said it does not matter. The important thing is the quality of the adjustment mechanics. Even most capacitors are 20%, electronics don't have to be super accurate unless you are designing high precision measurement equipment requiring 1%. Trust me, this old dog worked in advanced electronic labs.

Bourns is one of the better device manufactures. Big in resistors..

12. Ronkirn

I don't think I said anything to counter that... in fact, I'm a big proponent of using higher quality parts, even when the quality is meaningless, simply because such "stuff" gets in your head, and can really screw with your opinion of an otherwise great guitar.

I routinely use upscale caps in my guitars, simply because I put myself in "your" shoes, and If I plopped down big bux for a guitar, and popped the top and found 3 cent parts in there, I'd be a bit set off too

There are many that routinely replace perfectly good components as part of a tone quest.. the ultimate goal of which doesn't exist..

There is no reason on the planet to pull a perfectly good CTS, as an example, and replace it with some 40.00 esoteric pot, other than the reason, "I just wanned to dooit dammit...." and that's the only justification anyone needs to do anything to the guitar..

there are those that feel a 40.00 pot has to sound better than a 5.00 pot... or a 60.00 Bumble Bee cap has to sound better than a 3 cent chicklet... nothing could be further from reality. Simple fact is, those electrons oscillating back 'n forth in that copper, doesn't have a clue if that carbon element cost whatever... all it knows is it has to respond as per the dictates of electronics, and get something on down the "pipeline" to excite that driver...

Ron

EAllen and Otisblove like this.
  13. SteveAye

SteveAye Strat-Talker

My 2005 GTO runs better when I change the oil. Shell oil even makes it run much better.

Electrons do not flow inside the wire. The electrons only flow on the surface of the wire.

If you are on a tone pursuit look at your own hands and buy a good effects processor and good amplifier. The thickness of the pick also has an impact on the tone.

Have you tried the Fender Hot Rod series, nice amp?

14. stratman323

Until you turn on the overdrive channel. The originals were better.

15. DeanIversenGreen

DeanIversenGreen Strat-Talk Member

weird, you guys say pits don't matter, hmm... they matter if you want them to perform a specific function and they don't, like you want the volume to actually be at 2 when its at 2..

I know I know, I have linear pots that aren't even close, its full vol at halfway, and shuts off at 3..

the best pot I have used so far I dunno the brand name but its a 1meg, volume goes all the way down gradually and doesn't **** off till 0-1

I've been told its a PEC but I never bothered to look, someone said that simply based on the sealed aspect..

and that's another issue, sealed VS non sealed, noisy pots vs quiet pots, tone quality vs killing any decent tone

pots can do this, wiring can do this, poor soldering can do this, a faraday shield can reduce noise, a good cable, a GOOD input jack, good shielded wire, a good ground.. so on and so forth

but pots do matter, a whole lot actually, in my experience you get what you pay for, sure some aren't worth the asking price..

take the red sealed pots by Duncan..

they have very good resistance, not to loose, not too tight, other than that typical pot save they are sealed, i wont know if they hold up or not, 40 years from now they might get scratchy? dunno..

but so far its not but its only been working for a few years or just shy of..

some pots are so dang loose I swear vibration moves them, or the slightest brush and they can go to zero..

I like a lot of resistance but not where it has the "break" free, just a lot of resistance, I figure if I don't whimp out I can use a lot of force to turn it and I would rather use more force than to have it move when I don't want it too..

pots matter, they matter a lot, think about it, they are basically all that's between your amp and pickups save a switch and a cap of course they matter and for the most in my limited experience you get what you pay for..

having said that whatever Fender is using in their elites are quit nice ad I like the soft grippy knobs, a lil' more resistance would be nice but all in all they work, the tone knobs aren't just on/off pots like so many, and the volume actually goes to 3 when you put it there, and to 7 when its there, so many are on/off, I know there are different style linear and logarithmic, I have the ones that are supposed to work form 1 to 10 (audio) but they don't, not at all, and I know a lot of other factors come into play like amp volume and so forth, even cranked they don't really work all that well, is it coincidence they are the cheapo's?

I think in most cases you will find you get what you pay for, not always, but most the time

peace...

16. dirocyn

dirocyn Senior Stratmaster

This post is from 2015.

CTS, alpha, and Bourne's are all still good.

Value effects tone, taper effects user experience.

17. Believer7713

Believer7713 The Pink Bunnyman Frankenstein Silver Member

Did the Zombie apocalypse start today or is this a one off event? The last post on this thread was 5 years ago before today.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Jesse414 and Thrup'ny Bit like this.
  18. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon

Full moon tomorrow according to the TDPRI almanac. ;)

Believer7713 likes this.
  19. Believer7713

Well, we had a low slung full moon last night. So that could be the answer. Maybe?

Thrup'ny Bit likes this.
  20. Believer7713

Now that I think about it, I'm going to go with the ZA theory. It makes better movies.
    [​IMG]