Hit the Rhodes, Jack

Stratoman10

Dr. Stratster
Silver Member
Aug 24, 2015
Va. Beach, Va
My daughter bought a Rhodes Stage 73 last year and restored it to like-new condition. It's quite a piece of engineering! Unfortunately it weighs half again more than a Fender Twin!

I did not know that. I dropped a TR on my chest after getting a heel caught on a step while carrying it. That was unpleasant

Tonespinner 2

Strat-Talk Member
Jul 27, 2020
Hillsboro, Oregon, USA
My daughter bought a Rhodes Stage 73 last year and restored it to like-new condition. It's quite a piece of engineering! Unfortunately it weighs half again more than a Fender Twin!
I used to live in a second story apt in the early seventies. I packed that sucker up and down two flights of stairs going to and from gigs (plus a Fender twin). Never again!

Triple Jim

Guy Who Likes to Play Guitar
Silver Member
Feb 27, 2018
North Carolina
I did not know that. I dropped a TR on my chest after getting a heel caught on a step while carrying it. That was unpleasant
Ouch!

You don't see many Stage 88s because they're even heavier. These keyboards are all electro-mechanical, with magnets and pickups like a guitar, so I suppose weight is important to things like sustain. I prefer my Yamaha P120 piano though. It's a lot lighter!

Stratoman10

Dr. Stratster
Silver Member
Aug 24, 2015
Va. Beach, Va
Ouch!

You don't see many Stage 88s because they're even heavier. These keyboards are all electro-mechanical, with magnets and pickups like a guitar, so I suppose weight is important to things like sustain. I prefer my Yamaha P120 piano though. It's a lot lighter!

I always figured they wouldn't be heavy but yeah, back in 70s which is the Era I think of for these, electronics were a lot bulkier

Tonespinner 2

Strat-Talk Member
Jul 27, 2020
Hillsboro, Oregon, USA
Ouch!

Eighty eight keys in a Rhodes is ridiculous. The "sweet spot" of the instrument is the midrange. The ideal IMHO would be sixty one keys (from C to shiining C) like an organ. So much in manufacturing has to do with marketing concerns.

Tonespinner 2

Strat-Talk Member
Jul 27, 2020
Hillsboro, Oregon, USA
That's just it... there are no electronics in one. It's all electro-mechanical. The output is low level like an electric guitar.

View attachment 422561 View attachment 422562
Yes, It it works on the same principle as an electric guitar but uses tines instead of strings in front of the pickups. A Hammond organ works on this principle too only using rotating discs with notches in them called tonewheels in front of the pickups to produce the sound. both instruments are electro-mechanical. The suitcase model Rhodes was a little better because it had a Peterson preamp in it. The stage model is completely passive. The best sound that I get from mine (discovered after this video was made) is to run it through a Hammond AO-28 preamp and then through a 122 model Leslie speaker.

Below is a simple diagram of how the Hammond system works.

Attachments

• tonewheel.jpg
    tonewheel.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

mapleglo

Senior Stratmaster
Silver Member
Oct 25, 2015
phoenix
The Rhodes is my favorite electric piano. I've owned two of them over my lifetime. This one I owned from the mid 70's to early 80's. I regrettably sold it after I got married the first time. We lived in a small apartment and just didn't have the room.

rhodes 2.jpg

And then this one, which I owned for just a year, a little while back.

keystack.jpg

It is just too heavy for me these days, and they require a bit of maintenance. So for now, I use this Roland, which does a fair estimation of a Rhodes. It's become my main keyboard, and it only weighs like 25 pounds.

roland vr-730.jpg

Loved the video, by the way. The ultimate electric keyboard sound. I'll never tire of it.

Latest posts