Join Strat-Talk Today

HM Strat Club

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by bloomz, Feb 20, 2013.

1. bloomz

bloomz Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Got this yesterday - this thing is a beast.

Loving the (virtually) flat neck, thin neck, front to back (I have small hands) and bends oh my, SO much easier. Until about a month ago I'd never played anything but vintage frets, jumbos are wow different.

The pickups have a lot more juice to them - even the sweet single coil sounds just have more power behind them.

and oh yeah, 24 frets - yow. And I do love this color - condition is as close to mint as I can imagine. I know theories vary, but it doesn't have Made in Japan above the serial number and the dating project shows it made in Corona, which I'm not sure I'm happy or sad about (hell I ain't sad about nothin) as all my other strats are Japanese.

I sold 2 of them to buy this, with some money in my pocket. (remember, money spent last year to aquire them doesn't count)

Isn't there someone you can email at Fender who will give you the straight dope on the guitar's history?

Wife is supportive, she loves the color.

Is there an HM Strat Club thread up in here? Ok I just started one...I'll show you mine, please show me yours

dang I am diggin on this guitar. These are incredible axez

Attached Files:

• HM1.jpg
      HM1.jpg
      File size:
      68.6 KB
      Views:
    • HM2.jpg
      HM2.jpg
      File size:
      73.2 KB
      Views:
  2. bloomz

Don't tell me I'm the only one?

Am I like a bastard at a family reunion?

I have several other regular strats, by the way.

JurnyWannaBe likes this.
  3. t-rad

t-rad Strat-Talker

Sorry dude, they are a nice guitar, screw em if they don't like it!

bloomz likes this.
  4. stephen3777

stephen3777 Strat-Talk Member

Ive got a strat hm in teal blue too. Great guitar. I guess that the 88's parts were made in japan, then fender brought the parts here and put it together. I dont care where its done, I love mine. Mine had EMG active's in it but I just didn't like them, so I had two dimarzio yjm single's and a semore Duncan jb double installed...what a difference. I'll post a pic as soon as this will let me.

bloomz likes this.
  5. stephen3777

Here's a pic of my 89 strat hm (before the pickup swap) out of all my guitars, this is the smoothest playing. I still cant get that 80's creamy distortion though. I play through a bogner alchimist 212, mxt flanger, numerous multi effects pedals. Any idea's???

ForumRunner_20130314_101333.jpg

bloomz likes this.
  6. Demon Dave

Demon Dave Strat-Talker

really cool guitar, but my eyes are captured by the kiss action figures on the wall, It's the same old story, whenever I see that logo, everything turn off, only KISS remains...

bloomz likes this.
  7. oatsoda

oatsoda Puck of Paradox Strat-Talk Supporter

I like the color too. You got a piece of history for sure.

bloomz likes this.
  8. stephen3777

Yeah, I do the same thing. I have an exstensive kiss collection thats borderline hoarder!!! But since my last post I did get a better sound out of my bogner by running the effect's through the effects loop!!! Damn I feel stupid, but happy that it works like that. I still think I need a marshall!!!

Demon Dave and Jimi Lightning like this.
  9. bloomz

Curious about what you didnt' like about the EMG's? I've thought of putting them in mine.

But - the "rawness" and "punchiness" and sheer power of the pups in these are part of the appeal, I think.

10. stephen3777

Well,, it's not that they didn't sound good, I just wanted a different tone. The EMS's were perfect for raw tough, and just plain nasty distortion. Ive got another guitar with EMG's in it so I realy just wanted to switch the strat up alittle. The duncan JB and the dimarzio YJM's worked out perfect.

11. stradovarious

stradovarious Senior Stratmaster

You fool that thing sucks.

First of all, real Strats have 21 frets, even 22 is blasphemous.

24 frets are for people who like to complete what they start...like OCTAVES, for example.

Hate the color. Yeah so sonic blue, daphne blue and anything close are GORGEOUS but what are you, a show off?

I hate it just because it's too damn likable.

Fender always should have made a Strat with 24 frets, and I used to hate Floyds but now I like them fine. So a Fender Strat with 21 frets, a Floyd, and that gorgeous show-off to-die-for color sucks for one reason:

I don't own it.

Send it to me, I will pay shipping, and this will rectify these issues.

PLEASE!!!

P.S. There is another HM Strat hater on this forum, named Stratonini. He hates them with a passion.

I will PM him so he can join in on the HM Strat bashing.

P.S.S. I hate you.

P.S.S.S. Send her to me, and all is forgiven;).

bloomz likes this.
  12. stradovarious

stradovarious Senior Stratmaster

"Wife is supportive"

The above is a direct quote from your post. What a JOKE.

Everyone here knows this is impossible.:mrgreen:

bloomz likes this.
  13. bloomz

OK it's on it's way, how could I have strayed like this?

OK OK I'll send the wife too, she had to have been lying so she could buy more shoes.

Hope you have a good shoe budget.

14. stephen3777

I admit that the king "ALL THAT IS GUITAR" is the real deal fender stratocaster,,, but the HM is the hot as hell 18 year old living next door!!! My HM can do things that are next to amazing.

Fuzzfinger, ChukkerNation and bloomz like this.
  15. stephen3777

This is my HM .... she is a beast!!!

ForumRunner_20130319_051949.jpg

Fuzzfinger, Demon Dave and bloomz like this.
  16. stephen3777

Im the second owner, and the cool kicker is that the original owner was gregg howe. Didn't even know it untill after I bought it from a guitar broker that all the original paperwork and info explained it all. He's no super star, but one hell of a shredder!!! Its also nice knowing a guitar lover had it before me, at least I know she was taken care of.

Jimi Lightning and ChukkerNation like this.
  17. Stratonini

Stratonini Senior Stratmaster

Cool HM's guys, I have a white one. I always wanted one of those cool 80's color HM's. They are so cool. Welcome to Strat-Talk Stephen3777, thats a cool story on your fiddle there. Gregg Howe is amazing. Here is a picture of mine. I didn't relic it. It just got some bumps and bruises over the years.A band I was in hosted an open mic night and one guy in particular put this guitar through some abuse until I told him not to return. I noticed a bit of rub wear from the studded gauntlet I used to wear. \,,\ ~,> /,,/

Attached Files:

• 003.jpg
      003.jpg
      File size:
      87.8 KB
      Views:
    Fuzzfinger and bloomz like this.
  18. christy

christy Senior Stratmaster

I'm not a lover of the heavy metal strats. But I'm sure they sound nice :). They do look cool though. Enjoy. :)
    I wouldn't buy one. That's all I'm saying :). I'm old And my ears are too sensitive for your loud guitar shedding. :)

19. bloomz

I'm far from a shredder, they're just a phenomenal easy playing evolved strat. the 18 year old next door was a great analogy.

Cool deal Stephen.

I found out last night from a site where I found a price list that the turquoise Fender called Ice Blue.

I love this so much last night I was paying dues to my gas and looked for other 24 fret gits - Valley Arts, Showmaster, Heartfield Talon, even Ibanez but I think we have the pinnacle here.

20. harrysmo

harrysmo Senior Stratmaster

Here's my '88 HM Strat that I purchased used at a guitar show 20 years ago. The pinkish-red color was listed as Razz Berry, or so I am told. It's 100% original with case. I don't play it much due to the shallow neck, I prefer chunkier V necks, but it sounds so good I've never had the heart to sell it. Maybe I'll learn to tap one of these days:rolleyes:

Attached Files:

Fuzzfinger and bloomz like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.