Join Strat-Talk Today

HM Strat Club

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by bloomz, Feb 20, 2013.

1. bloomz

bloomz Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

That is lovely, and it's rare to find a maple board in that good of shape - for some reason they usually discolor horribly.

But - some people like that I guess. I looked for a long time for a maple in good shape and didn't find one.

2. Andreas Avgeris

Andreas Avgeris New Member!

Thanks. I wanted a white one with a maple in good condition. This seemed impossible and I decided I'm going maple no matter what so I actually found this one locally and got it for 600 euros which isn't bad.

Fuzzfinger, Rock johnson and bloomz like this.
  3. Rock johnson

Rock johnson Strat-Talk Member

I decided to do a pickup swap on mine..... Bad idea. The previous owner had buggered the wiring up good. It's gonna take me a week to get it to work again.

4. sam_in_cali

sam_in_cali Scream for me Strat-Talk! Strat-Talk Supporter

Sometime it’s best to yank it all out, get a wiring diagram and start over from scratch. What pickups are you putting in?

Rock johnson likes this.
  5. Rock johnson

Well, I got it up and running.

I *thought* the two single coils were original. Wrong. They are ceramic "bar magnet on the bottom" guys. The PO had cut the leads on both to less than an inch.

I traded out the H3 for a DiMarzio 36th Anniv DP103BK. Great pickup, I really like it. Instead of a coil tap I wired the mini-switch for series/parallel.

Next step will be getting some Triple Shot rings, and converting the mini switch to add in the neck pickup whenever.

The only thing still weird is the TBX controls. Seems like they barely have any effect now. Everything is wired up right, so I'm not sure what's going on there.

ChukkerNation likes this.
  6. Rock johnson

Triple shot on the way!!!

7. Rock johnson

So it's all wired up. That Dimarzio 36th Anniversary PAF is a beast of a pickup.

I also changed the cosmetics a bit. I am an 80s kid, after all. 20180602_104926.jpeg 20180602_104920.jpeg 20180602_104908.jpeg

ChukkerNation and sam_in_cali like this.
  8. sam_in_cali

Looking good @Rock johnson :thumb:
    +1 on the DiMarzio PAF as a bridge pickup...had one in my old LTD HSS strat

Rock johnson likes this.
  9. Keli

Keli New Member!

E4996F48-F733-47E7-8E65-D7794E537E94.jpeg CBBB06A1-7DF3-43F9-8EF4-89ADC2D409EB.jpeg 04D1381F-3737-48B0-A5E2-5B82C5A29152.jpeg F08065FD-9C64-431D-8E44-C5840DD06C5E.jpeg 60C6E450-95FA-46E2-8293-F76D77050CCA.jpeg Hi guys, I wondered if you could help me seeing as you all know a lot more about fender HM strats than google does!
    I’ve had a HM strat since I was a kid but sadly I’ve never played it. As my late dad bought it for me, I’ve held on to it for 15+ years regardless of not being able to play it or even interested in learning how to (im more of an acoustic guitar girl). I’ve been meaning to sell it for years now but I don’t actually know where to start as I don’t know anything about it other than it’s a HM Strat!
    It has a serial number beginning with E (I think, it seems to have faded/rubbed off in places) but as for all this jazz about coils etc, I am clueless!
    I obviously don’t want to be ripped off by taking it to a shop for them to sell on and I would like it to go directly to someone who’ll appreciate it.
    I’ve attached some photos in the hope you can tell me all that you know about it so I can sell it to a good home!

Thanks for reading my waffle :)

Bikerdude2 and bloomz like this.
  10. sam_in_cali

Hi and welcome! I'm by no means a expert on these but if that is the original pickup, it looks to be a 2nd version HM strat, and in great shape! Somewhat of a rare model too seeing how most of these came in the HSS configuration. They also seem to vary widely in value depending on condition and how much of them is original. If I had the cash handy, I'd throw an offer your way (unless you are interested in trading for a MIJ Charvel San Dimas!)

FWIW, here's some recent sales of similar HM strats.

https://reverb.com/price-guide/guide/15413-fender-hm-strat-1989-common-finish

11. Keli

Keli New Member!

Thanks for your reply Sam. When you say it’s a rare model, what makes it rare? And do you have a clue what year it is? I’m really dumb when it comes to the technical talk about guitars, i have no clue I’m afraid! When you say HSS, what is that?

I have the original box it came in but no case, not even sure what kind of price I would be asking for it!
    Sorry for being dumb!

12. sam_in_cali

I just meant rare in that most of HM strat models had more than one pickup (HSS seemed to be most common config; HSS = humbucker/single coil/single coil). That doesn't make any of the other configurations "better or worse", but yours may be more desirable to a buyer as all of these models are now approaching being 'vintage', plus finding one in decent shape and in single humbucker configuration.

There some additional info on the wiki about it them if you haven't seen it already:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fender_HM_Strat

FWIW, a similar HM strat (one humbucker model) went for $550 on ebay not long ago so that should give you a ballpark figure to start with.

13. Keli

Keli New Member!

Thanks again Sam. The issue I now have is where to sell it! I see that the majority of HM strat fans seem to be in the states. Shipping will be a major issue I reckon (plus I’d be a bit nervous sending overseas!)
    Any suggestions as to the best sites to sell or even see what interest is out there for buying?
    I would go for eBay but I don’t have much faith in it!

14. ChukkerNation

ChukkerNation Senior Stratmaster

Keli, I can’t imagine you would have a tough time selling in the UK. These aren’t necessarily rare but they have a nice following. I think the US following has more to do with there just being more in the US. My HM is the only guitar I have owned where I get offers to buy it even though I have never listed it for sale. I would probably list it locally for around £500 to £600 and see what happens. Maybe you get a bite or two - maybe you even land a fish.

15. Keli

Keli New Member!

Thanks for your advice ChukkerNation :)

ChukkerNation likes this.
  16. drspankle

drspankle Strat-Talk Member

Hi all,

I'm modding my 89 HM Strat and will be selling the Trem, the pups and the knobs. Are these reasonably sought after?

Regards,

Dr Spankle

17. albala

albala Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

The pickups are nothing special.

What trem is it, a Kahler Spyder? They are not hard to find. They are also not direct replacements for Floyd Rose trems.

What are your modding plans?

18. drspankle

The bridge is a Kahler Spyder which I'm replacing with a Floyd - I'll maybe put it on eBay as they seem to go for a reasonable amount. Overall plan for the guitar is to replace the fretboard with a 10" radius rosewood board with stainless steel med jumbo frets, change the pups for active EMG (89, SA, SA), add a custom scratchplate and paint it Olympic white. I'm also going for just Vol and one tone with the coil tap on the vol as a pull pot.

albala likes this.
  19. thomquietwolf

thomquietwolf Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

I kinda like the color scheme...
    Would love to spring it on Mrs.
    But
    What is that anemone sits up against...
    A
    Cat trap?

20. drspankle

[​IMG] This is what it looked like ...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.