HM Strat Not Meant To Be

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by 3bolt79, May 3, 2021.

1. 3bolt79

3bolt79 Dr. Stratster

Well, my HM strat arrived 2 days ago. Unfortunately, the trem won’t return to pitch. It seems that the inserts for the Floyd Rose mounting screws are moving around. So I’m sending it back. Which is ok, I will try to pick one up this summer.

As the GAS is strong, I decided I would get another guitar. I was looking for a pink guitar. There was an Ibanez Hardtail for $399. Then I saw the Ibanez Jem Jr. I was going to pull the trigger on that, but everybody seemed to be out of stock.

I was looking on reverb and I found one on Reverb from a brick-n-mortar in Alabama. Then I saw that he had a yellow one. Well, the yellow GAS over powered the pink GAS, and I ordered the yellow one. It was less than half of the price of the HM Strat. I figured that at $499 with a gig bag wasn’t too bad.

This one is going back to seller...

34B0FC81-AD8B-43B0-9E0C-5F374E198A08.jpeg

This one is coming....

CA7F9DBE-66AC-433F-801E-068852F778C3.jpeg

Cerb, JJ119, ido1957 and 10 others like this.
  2. John C

John C Most Honored Senior Member

Sorry about the failed NGD with the HM Strat; but the Ibanez looks like a lot of fun too!!

Hey - I think my local GC still has all 4 of their new HMs hanging on the wall (I haven't been in since last week so it's always possible that the GC's site is off when you go to the Overland Park location) if you want to take a run at one from there; they are $999 until May 5th per the hang tags.

Blackmore Fan likes this.
  3. 3bolt79

3bolt79 Dr. Stratster

Well, as the HM strat was gonna be for playing out, I would have preferred to find a used one. I have a white reissue that I bought new last year. I also have an original one from 1989 that I would have played out, but I fear losing a part of the Kahler Spyder bridge. So, I will wait until the end of summer and see what is available.

In the mean time, or the Ibanez Jem Jr. turns out to be a keeper, I will probably update the pots and pups. They should be plenty hot as the bridge and neck humbuckers are ceramic. So I may not even have to do anything to it, and the price was better than the HM Strat I’m sending back.

I am hoping that bar jams and gigs will be a reality soon, but our COVID cases are on the rise in Oregon right now. So I have plenty of time to do any modifications on the new guitar.

John C and Stonetone like this.
  4. HazyPurple

HazyPurple Without stress... my life would be empty Silver Member

You will certainly stand out with that yella fella!

3bolt79 likes this.
  5. Blue Beagle

Blue Beagle Senior Stratmaster

I nearly jumped on a new HM Strat (blue of course) last year but didn’t feel the components justified the price.

That JEM looks great. I bought a MIJ Ibanez a few weeks back and absolutely adore it. Neck is out of this world.

Stonetone and 3bolt79 like this.
  6. Stonetone

Stonetone Senior Stratmaster

Really?? :D

But Yeah I think Yellow GAS is better :thumb:

3bolt79 likes this.
  7. Stonetone

Stonetone Senior Stratmaster

Yup. lets just say well leave the Super Strats to the Likes of Jackson, Charvel and Ibanez ;)

JJ119, Blue Beagle and 3bolt79 like this.
  8. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon

I would rather have the Ibanez, if I was into that sort of thing...

JJ119 and Stonetone like this.
  9. 3bolt79

3bolt79 Dr. Stratster

Yeah the HMs are kinda speedy for what you get. I’ve got all the bases covered pretty much with the Super Strats that I have. I have Kramer’s, Fenders, Jackson, Ibanez. Did have a Charvel but sold it.

JJ119 and Stonetone like this.
  10. Wrighty

Wrighty Most Honored Senior Member

Bloody hell, where are my RayBans..................

JJ119, Bob the builder and 3bolt79 like this.
  11. bobalu

bobalu Strat-Talker Silver Member

What is an "HM" Strat?

12. Blue Beagle

The model name, the HM is widely accepted as meaning Heavy Metal (without ever being confirmed by Fender as far as I’m aware).

Fenders take on a Superstrat from about 1988/9 to the early 90s. Recently reissued with stock pickups instead of Dimarzios and a Floyd Rose Special rather than the original Khaler (who are now out of business).

13. bobalu

bobalu Strat-Talker Silver Member

Thank-you! I learned something then - was not aware of that model. :thumb:

14. Slyy

Slyy Strat-Talk Member

Yellow Gas is better than yellow snow....

JJ119 likes this.
  15. JJ119

JJ119 Strat-O-Master

Man! Sorry about that Tremolo!

Enjoy that Ibanez.

16. John C

Yep; the original HSS models had a DiMarzio humbucker and Fender's American Standard single coils and these reissues have stock MIJ pickups. Kahler is still around; I think they have been back for at least 10 years now, but the current version of the company is only doing the flat-mount tremolos and never put the FR-licensed models like the original HMs used.

HMs had a few other interesting tweaks - they had a shorter 25.1" scale length neck (pretty close to the PRS scale length), and an interesting history in that the first year models from 1988 were MIJ (and were labeled MIJ); starting in 1989 these are called "U.S. HM Strats" on Fender price lists and in catalogs, but the guitars don't have any "Made In . . . " decals on them. The best info I can get is that starting in 1989 Fender decided to have the bodies and necks shipped from Japan to the USA and assemble them in Corona; they did have a lot of USA parts even in 1988 (like the Kahler tremolo and the pickups). All MIJ work was done by FujiGen for Fender/Fender Japan.

In 1988 they had I think 2 HM models - the HSS and a single H model; they might have had an HH model for 1988 but I just don't remember. In 1989 they had 3 models - the HSS, an HH, and one that had a neck single coil/bridge humbucker where the neck single coil was a Lace Sensor (could have been a blue logo or a silver logo - again just don't remember) that also had a kind of Tele-looking pickguard.

Around 1991 Fender becomes the distributor for Floyd Rose products to the final year or so of HMs have Floyd Rose trems (OFRs) and they only make the HSS model; they add an "HM2" model that had a pointy headstock and a pickguard (and I believe those were HSH) that was pretty similar to the Heartfield Talon models that FMIC was also having made at the time.

17. Baelzebub

Baelzebub Most Honored Senior Member

Was that a pink Jem on Reverb? Think I saw that one the other day...

18. Blue Beagle

Didn’t realise Kahler were back!

I had a HH HM that I picked up a couple of years back in a marble type finish that was the rarest of the rare but just didn’t gel with it:
    BFF9A3F2-DD10-4320-AEE1-2572D6F4F04D.jpeg

19. John C

I was just looking at Kahler's current website - it says that Gary Kahler bought the company back in 2003, and by 2005 they had retooled back from making golf clubs (club heads maybe?) to making the cam-action bridges again. I didn't realize it had been that long. Their website though carries a 2012 copyright date, but it seems like the bridge models have been updated since then.

And the marble finish/HH is a really cool, rare one, but I also understand that the HMs are kind of oddballs - there isn't much middle ground in that someone will either love playing one or not care for them at all. It seems like the necks were kind of wider than usual as well, but maybe that was just the flat profile that made it feel wider.