hmm, we don't seem to have a drum forum, so ...

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by BluesForDan, Jul 8, 2021.

1. BluesForDan

BluesForDan Strat-O-Master

@Mouse

the revelation of your e-drum kit in the NPOD thread has given me an idea. The main reason why I didn't get one before was simply no space. Now I'm about to have half a basement to make my music room.

How many of you have an electronic drum kit? My main interest will be using it for recording. I have fairly good rhythm and timing, and using sticks on physical pads seems a heck of a lot easier for me than trying to render patterns on a drum machine.

They've been around for a while. In fact, my nephew briefly had one that his mother found on craigslist, and I tried to help set it up. Unfortunately there was a reason why it was for sale, and I was never able to get the high hat pedal to function correctly. He lost interest almost immediately and she moved it on. I don't even remember what brand it was.

That brings me to my next question. Are there some to avoid? I'm probably going to roll the dice and look for a used kit for my first one. Hopefully I don't run into my nephew's old kit making the rounds again :p

valor19 likes this.
  2. Mouse

Mouse The Knees of Rock

I'll qualify my answer by stating that my experience with the drums and e-kits in general (including my own) is very limited. While I've yet to try it, this kit can be used for recording and has outputs that can be plugged into a USB interface or other recording device. There might even be a way to set up each drum with it's own track but I can't say 100%

The Alessis Nitro Mesh kit is very entry level and is usually around $350 new. IMO it's very good value for the money. The mesh drum heads give it a much more realistic feel than straight plastic heads so it has that going for it. There are many customizable sounds you can use so you'll have no shortage of kits you can create. I don't think anyone will mistake it for an acoustic set but the sounds I use aren't overly electronic and fake sounding. There will obviously be better sounding and feeling kits out there but you'll pay more for them. I couldn't really say which to avoid other than to avoid kits that don't have some sort of "mesh" head to replicate the feel of an acoustic set.

I will say that the high hat is a weak link on my set. The bass kick looks to be a proper kick that you'd find on any drum set. The high hat is light and made of plastic and a little difficult to get used to. If you're not playing over a carpet it will slide everywhere so that's a must.

Quality seems to be ok but others have experience hardware failures. I haven't yet but I'm also not playing it daily for hours.

For my purposes it works great but you might want to do a bit of research and review reading before pulling the trigger. All in all though it won't be a huge investment if things go south.

valor19, Heavyriff and BluesForDan like this.
  3. Dadocaster

Dadocaster Dr. Stratster

I don't care fot E kits and drummer son would happily play any cheap acoustic kit over mid range 1000 dollar E kit.

4. myredstrat

myredstrat Senior Stratmaster

I have VERY LIMITED knowledge as well, but mesh heads feel more like the real thing, and a kick pedal that doesn't actually hit anything feels weird. I know Roland make some kits, from crappy up to BIG BUCKS pro.
    Try before you buy is always the best way.

5. Mouse

Mouse The Knees of Rock

As I've said in the past, I'd happily get an acoustic kit were it not for the noise. In fact I recently sat behind my old drummer's kit and immediately could feel the difference. There's really no comparison but alas, divorce is expensive so e-kit it shall be for this rodent.

6. Dadocaster

Dadocaster Dr. Stratster

Absolutely. Better than no kit at all and they get better and better.

Plain old dumb luck that this little house I bought allows us to play loud with no complaints from anyone. Honestly, without that luck I doubt that boyo would have ended up pursuing music as he has.

7. AngelDeVille

AngelDeVille Senior Stratmaster

It's really hard to get crayon off a computer monitor, so we haven't had a drum section for a long time.

valor19 and myredstrat like this.
  8. cranky

cranky Senior Stratmaster

I'm in the same boat as op. I grabbed a mid-level set of Alesis with mesh tops a few years ago, something like $500 new. They have some limitations, i.e. the cymbals don't differentiate between inner and outter. But the snare and toms do. Overall the mesh tops are very nice, I have no qualms about the response and feedback when I hit them. Cool, too, that my kiddo got to do Zoom drum lessons with headphones running the kit through the mixer.

I don't regret the purchase at all. Just wish the kid and I played them more.

Beside the must-have mesh tops, I'd say to keep an eye on the "pick of the day" at GC and MF. Once or twice a month they seem to have a decent kit at a decent discount.

9. Nubs

Nubs Strat-O-Master

Had an electronic kit briefly. It felt wayy too much like a toy. Had to get the real deal:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I don't really play guitar anymore.

Deafsoundguy and Mouse like this.
  10. Dadocaster

Dadocaster Dr. Stratster

You set it up backwards bro...

myredstrat and pazman6 like this.
  11. Stormy Monday

Stormy Monday Blooze daddy Silver Member

Our Thursday night jam drummer uses an expensive pro Roland kit. While I like the feel of an analog kit moving air, I really like that he's been jamming with us for over five years now.

12. Heavyriff

Heavyriff Senior Stratmaster

Lol.. He must be a leftie playing cross handed was my thought.....or he is a right hander playing open handed.

13. Heavyriff

Heavyriff Senior Stratmaster

Everything Mouse said is pretty spot on. The one thing I would add having the same kit, is this kit in this price range has very good triggering. No double triggers or latency problems and things like that. Very good in that regard.

Mouse likes this.
  14. Dadocaster

Dadocaster Dr. Stratster

Or a prehensile tail.

Heavyriff likes this.
  15. LivingMyDream

LivingMyDream Strat-Talker

I bought a cheap Simmons kit for my grandchildren one Christmas. They had come to visit and had a blast playing my acoustic kit, so I figured if they really had an interest, it could get them started. The kit ran in the $500 range, and had a dual zone snare pad (yep, not mesh, the dual zone allowed for cross sticking), high hat, 3 tom pads, 2 cymbals, and a bass pad. Unfortunately, my son-in-law was a Marine and was assigned to a base in Okinawa for several years, so the drums stayed packed away with me. By the time they got back, and he was discharged, they lived with his parents for a while, and there was no space for drums. To make a long story short, I have inherited the e-kit, and it's fun to play without bothering anyone.

My e-kit:

100_1775.JPG

When I want to bother someone, I set up the acoustic kit.

2007 Gretsch Catalina 8.jpg

Mouse likes this.
  16. pazman6

pazman6 Senior Stratmaster

I have a real kit, decent Roland e-Kit with Mesh, and an older Alesis DM kit with the real heads. Nothing beats a real kit for playing and feel. Getting a good recording can be difficult. The Roland kit with mesh plays great and the electronic module has decent sounds if you want to play live through a PA. The Alesis kit actually lets you play a little harder, but the old sound module doesn't sound great for live playing.

For recording, you can't beat a decent electronic kit. Run the midi out of the module and use something like EZ Drummer (I use Addictive Drums 2) to convert the midi to drums. Each drum/cymbal can be on it's own track which lets you tweak it. In addition, you can quickly swap out sample and have John Bonham's kit is a couple minutes. If you play drums, you can also just program the midi drum patterns with out actually playing. The Roland kit does a much better job translating what you play than my older alesis kit which has more "errors" it picks up (double hits, missed hits, etc). I have everything on the Roland interface working in Addicitive Drums for recording - except - Cymbal Chokes (cannot get it to work and pick up the midi signal)

If the cheap alesis mesh kit has midi out, you can't go wrong for recording and even using it to trigger live from a drum program with better sounds. I have been considering dumping the e-cymbals and going back to real cymbals and hats and just using the ekit for toms, kick and snare.

At one point I had both ekits setup as a single kit - it was fun but had to use both controllers and the midi got to be a nightmare.

Mixed Kit - Connects up to the room mixer and can be played through the PA system on the wall in the background. Now I just have the smaller mesh only Roland kit hooked up.
    20180701_013918.jpg 20180701_114155.jpg

My Real Drum Kit in the same spot. It takes up a lot of room, so it is currently stored in the closet. It is also difficult to mic up and get a great recording.
    DSCN1141.JPG

Deafsoundguy and Mouse like this.
  17. myredstrat

myredstrat Senior Stratmaster

Are you in a Young Rascals tribute band?

18. LivingMyDream

LivingMyDream Strat-Talker

Nothing so cool.

We were a band of pastors that occasionally played out for a church, so we came up with a name. As pastors who recognize that we are not perfect, we got the "Rascals." Then, since our faith is that Jesus took away our "rascalness," we decided on "Reset." Kind of makes sense for a band who were all pastors.

myredstrat likes this.
  19. valor19

valor19 Strat-O-Master Gold Supporting Member

I have the Alesis DM10 MKII Pro Kit. A lot of kit for a guy like me who plays guitar but just likes to fool around with drums once in a while. Like you I also bought it for the sole purpose of recording and prefer it to a drum machine. Been quite happy with it and it certainly accomplishes what I wanted it for, but do not have much of a comparison. Bought it new for $1,250. When I was shopping for a used e-kit not many local deals at the time so I just bought new.

Attached Files:

BluesForDan likes this.
  20. spazzz

spazzz Strat-Talk Member

This thing gets the job done . I picked a dry kit and turned off the damn reverb. The sock cymbal actually is a dream.
    Open and closes pretty darn good.
    Everything seams workable except for figuring out what length of sticks I need.

I forgot how sore my right leg gets suspending it for ankle flippin the kick.
    Great investment to reinvent a whole new strain of playing after almost 30 years of dormancy.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

Mouse likes this.