Hmmn '63-style Strat on ebay for £395... original Posidrivs

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by simoncroft, Jan 15, 2021.

1. simoncroft

simoncroft Dr. Stratster Silver Member

I've noticed there's a trend on eBay for sellers with relic Strat replicas to go big on the waffle about how great the finish is, but 'forget' to mention the spec – or origin – for the neck and body. Let's take a look at this description:

"Early 60s Style Custom Built Nitro Relic Stratocaster Built from Fender Parts.. Condition is "Used". Collection in person only. Only the best quality parts were used to build this guitar. Alder body from guitar build sprayed with rothko and frost nitrocellulose in 3 tone sunburst that has been carefuly reliced. The neck has a early pre CBS style F***** logo. Real single line kluson branded tuners. 21 fret age accurate fret board with truss rod adjustment at the butt body end of the neck. The large vintage style trem block with Fender pat.pend saddles. All electrics are fender apart from some of the wire cloth. 250k fender pots wired to a fender 3 way switch and amazing fender custom shop fat 60s pickups which sound incredible. Finaly the neck plate has been correctly stamped to replecate that of an early 60s pre CBS strat. Comes with a fender tolex vintage style hardcase worth £200 alone and Fender strap. Many thanks"

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/63-Style...508010?hash=item23ec2205aa:g:13gAAOSw3mVfw8f~

Those neck screws are just bang-on, right? Not to mention the heel contour of the neck...

Screenshot 2021-01-16 at 01.55.50.png

2. ukoldgit

ukoldgit Most Honored Senior Member

Those neck screws are just bang-on, right? Not to mention the heel contour of the neck...

View attachment 449995 [/QUOTE]

Yes but the ad states "Only the best quality parts were used to build this guitar." so they must be top notch B&Q quality:whistling:

3. uncle daddy

uncle daddy Strat-Talker

Looks like the one on the lower right was hammered in with a brick.

simoncroft likes this.
  4. Boubou

Boubou Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

Yeah the Robertson screws were always superior to the Phillips, this is a prime example

simoncroft likes this.
  5. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon

I want six.

It's nearly bonfire night...

simoncroft, l88vette and Stratafied like this.
  6. rafasounds

rafasounds Senior Stratmaster

"Buyers are advised against trying to turn those screws to remove the neck, in the better interest of preserving the mojo that's been collected there. Otherwise they may not be able to replicate SRV tone correctly"

simoncroft likes this.
  7. Stratafied

Stratafied Most Honored Senior Member

I’ll bring marshmallows.

simoncroft and Thrup'ny Bit like this.
  8. simoncroft

simoncroft Dr. Stratster Silver Member

I'll be interested to see what this eventually sells for. My guess is less than £500. If we deduct the price of the case and the hardware from that, then allow maybe £150 for the nitro finishing. (Not especially to my taste, but a time-consuming process, with its own material costs.) What does that value the neck and body at?

I'd say we have to be in used Chinese Squier territory, because there certainly wouldn't be enough in the kitty for MIM components. If I'm right, that's about £100-ish of guitar in fancy dress. o_O

Stratafied and rafasounds like this.