Join Strat-Talk Today

HNGD Classic 60's Lacquer

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by ~NT~, Sep 21, 2014.

1. stratman323

stratman323 Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Absolutely & definitely not. Maybe the Classic Player might be (debatable), but not the Classic Series 60s. That's why I like them. I have one CS60s Strat neck on my partscaster & two CS60s Tele necks, one to replace an MIJ neck (too fat) & the other to replace the maple neck on an MIM Thinline.

I had a 1999 US Standard which I sold earlier this year - the main problem for me was that I didn't like the neck. So I did some side by side comparisons before I let it go. There is nothing I could describe as "fat" about the CS60s necks - they are remarkably close in profile to the old AVRI62 necks.

2. ~NT~

~NT~ Strat-Talk Member

looks like I want to buy one more classic series strat....

3. The-Kid

The-Kid Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Maybe its just me then, it is not a thin neck either way although it might be a tad slimmer than a Modern C in your accounts, I have to say I like the shape of the neck and its quite comfortable.

Solid player and all my friends really give me props on how it sounds and the few who are guitar players just fall in love with it whenever they play it.

Maybe mine just has a fat neck on it? It is from 2006 and its an older model so maybe its just my strat?

4. Yogi

Yogi Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

In my experience the classic series 60s aren't what I would call fat but I wouldn't call them thin. To me the American standards and CVs are thin, but the classic series is a little bit fuller but definitely not thick.

5. The-Kid

Yes that is an apt description of it, I wouldnt say its a baseball bat but it feels a bit rounder with a tad more depth and width than your Am Standard or CV.

Same feeling here, a CV and an AM standard are just about the same in thickness, or lack of thickness, and the necks are quite thin compared to my Classic Series 60s strat. The AM standards are just a bit less slimmer than the CVs I have tried in general but just about the same to say that the difference is not that significant.

6. stratman323

It's beyond me how you can say that. Definitely not.

7. The-Kid

Well the AM standard is a bit thicker in general compared to the CV but non the less I still feel both necks are rather slim and thin compared to my Classic Series 60s C shape neck, not that its a fat neck, but I dont feel its slim or thin at all whereas I have that feeling with an AM standard or a Squier CV modern-C neck.

8. stratman323

Almost every post on ST about the CVs refers to how slim the neck is. Posts about the American Standard don't say this.

That should tell us something......

9. Yogi

Yogi Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Actually if you look there are plenty of threads decrying the American Standard modern c as too slim, maybe not here but on other places around the Web especially on TGP.

10. Jefro

Jefro Senior Stratmaster

Personally... I think it is a reason why Fender should list measurements of the necks from 1st - 7th - 12th fret or something. Give people an idea before hand how thick or thin a neck is based on its profile. Not just, its a Modern C.

11. stratman323

Yup. ^ Not very hard.

12. oldspot

oldspot Strat-Talker

Some very conflicting evidence here. Assuming most people's point of reference is about the same, one must conclude there is considerable variation not between models, but within them. As most of us won't have had the luxury of playing multiple examples of each (I wish) we can only state our own experience. Here's mine:

I have played one genuine vintage Fender (a mid-sixties Jaguar) and must confess I cannot recall whether the neck was fat or thin, not what letter of the alphabet it resembled (it was a friend's, and I played it once at his house some twenty five years ago). I have owned since 1990 a Japanese 62 reissue Telecaster with a nice, 'average' size C-shaped neck, which is my default standard, for no other reason than familiarity. I have a 2011 CV50 Strat which I would call thin, by comparison with the 62 Tele. Until last weekend I assumed this would be typical of all Squiers, but when testing a pedal in a shop I was handed a CV60 Strat which had a ridiculously thin neck which I found almost unplayable. One finger seemed determined to fret at least two strings. By conttrast, my 1998 Classic Series 60s Strat has a monster of a neck which I really love - in fact it was this that sold it to me before I'd even plugged it in. Despite a terrible set-up and dodgy intonation, the tone and sheer mass of the thing won me over, and I had to have it - even though I'd only gone to the shop for some strings (sound familiar?)

I've only played one modern US Standard - a Tele when testing an amp - and it left me unmoved, with a fiddlesome neck - though that was more to do with fretboard radius than size, as I much prefer the 7.25" radius. Nevertheless, it felt small compared to my Tele, and tiny compared to the CS60.

13. MEXbluesGUY

MEXbluesGUY Senior Stratmaster

very nice! i think ill get myself some classic 90s polyurethane

14. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Most Honored Senior Member

Great Strat! Have a hngd!

15. ~NT~

~NT~ Strat-Talk Member

Thanks! :)

16. 98BlackStrat

98BlackStrat Senior Stratmaster

NT-

That is a very beautiful Stratocaster! Congrats!!

17. ~NT~

~NT~ Strat-Talk Member

Thanks! It has real vintage vibes, I love it!

18. little_wing142

little_wing142 Senior Stratmaster

Hey, is there any way you can take a pic of the side of the tummy cut on the back? I want to see how sleek the curves are. Thanks!

19. ~NT~

~NT~ Strat-Talk Member

Yes, sure. Could you show me similar photos for examples what you want to see?

20. Carlos Lucena

Carlos Lucena Strat-Talker

Necks are very different in thickness even within the same profile. Discuss this is somewhat pointless :neutral:
    If you go to a store to try several copies of the same model guitar will reach this conclusion ;)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.