Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Hombrew attentuator

Discussion in 'DIY Amp Forum' started by Mr. Lumbergh, Sep 23, 2017.

1. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh needs you to go ahead and come in on Sunday, too. Strat-Talk Supporter

Jan 10, 2014
    Initech, Inc.
    Least expensive, too. Less than $10 all-in.

2. Tone Guru

Tone Guru Senior Stratmaster

Dec 13, 2011
    Music City TN
    You could even install a footswitch to enable a bypass/attenuate function.

3. Dadocaster

Dadocaster Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Interesting thread. I need a very small attenuator for 1/8" stereo cables. (If you ask why, things might get weird. I really do need a couple of them.)

4. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh needs you to go ahead and come in on Sunday, too. Strat-Talk Supporter

Jan 10, 2014
    Initech, Inc.
    PM then? I might be able to help you figure something out but I'm not sure where to start without a bit more info.

5. Dadocaster

Dadocaster Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Thanks very much. I will just post it here. No one reads this part of the forum anyway. :D

I'm deaf. Took from late 20s to age 40 to get all the way deaf and around 40 I got a cochlear implant to hear with. It ain't like ears, but I have learned to work within the limitations I have. The little computer that does the processing of sound to send to my cochlea has a stereo line in. I use it all the time and most especially at work. Therein lies the problem: The implant processor really hates a hot signal. I use a box to break out a 1/8" out from my phone but even when that phone is turned all the way down, the signal is too hot and gives me trouble with intelligibility. Ditto my little headphone amp. So, I would like to knock down those signals.

Was that weird enough?

6. Mr. Lumbergh

Jan 10, 2014
    Initech, Inc.
    Not weird at all Dado. I'll send you a PM.

CigBurn likes this.

7. Robins

Robins Dr. von Loudster Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 22, 2010
    Germany
    Put two resistors into the plug and you don´t need any pots or fancy things.
    It is cheap and you can make some cables for different options (less <> more attenuation - smart phone, headphone amp).
    Maybe that is a good option for not having to add pots.
    But there are cables available with pots already in there which are very compact if you need that (like those for headphones).

All the best,
    Robin