Hope you have spares

Baelzebub

Dr. Stratster
Nov 1, 2019
State of Disbelief
Interesting. My neighbor is a retired Air Force radioman and recently cleaned out his collection of vacuum tubes from his shop, couple of garbage bags full of them . I got started sorting them out and putting them in a spreadsheet and them my shop filled up with other projects. Maybe I should get going and finish that one.

JB74

Senior Stratmaster
Mar 22, 2018
ɹǝpunuʍop
I have a giant cardboard box full of hundreds of vacuum tubes.

Mike Matthews is simply using the press to underpin his price hikes due to labour shortage from covid.

To date the suppliers I use have had absolutely no issues at all with lead times or availability for orders - in fact quite the opposite of the article's statement.

So that seems like more BS.

Gedster

Strat-Talker
May 11, 2021
NSW Australia
Thankfully, vacuum tubes last a very, very long time. I’ve got mostly 6V6 amps and a tidy stockpile of (mainly vintage/NOS) spares.

I was checking valve prices today for a little project I’ve got on the boards and that just gave me one more reason not to buy EHX. I hate BS artists.

Audiowonderland

Strat-O-Master
Silver Member
Dec 19, 2020
Usa
As much as I love tubes and hate the option paralysis that comes with digital, I could get by just fine without tubes. This seems like an opportunity for him to buy one of those shuttered plants. Its such a random comment and out of left field that I have to question the motivation. It may be true, but I think trust but verify applies in this case

henderman

Dr. Stratster
Dec 4, 2013
largo,fl
when the guy selling them says there be a shortage...

i now only buy tubes that have been 100% tested by audiophile freaks who have a world class tube tester and i have never been happier.

used holy grail tubes from yesteryear that are verified good as new cost less than a new untested low dollar new tube.

let him keep his tubes, i don't want or need them.

ukoldgit

Dr. Stratster
Feb 20, 2018
Wiltshire UK
when the guy selling them says there be a shortage...

i now only buy tubes that have been 100% tested by audiophile freaks who have a world class tube tester and i have never been happier.

used holy grail tubes from yesteryear that are verified good as new cost less than a new untested low dollar new tube.

let him keep his tubes, i don't want or need them.
My amp tech friend says the same, he's 73 and has worked on just about any tube amp you could think of, he also has access to many thousands of tubes and knows where many more are.
Just goes to show how some individuals try to manipulate media.

archetype

Fiend of Leo's
Silver Member
Nov 26, 2016
Western NY, USA

I'll repeat my post from TDPRI:

The Guitar.com article is little more than an attention-grabbing mini rant from Matthews. Shame on Guitar.com for failing to validate anything he said, then piling on their own breathless hyperbole. The only thing they sort of verified is that Shuguang "does seem to have scaled back production enough to spark online rumours." There may be some facts to learn about the situation, but but neither Mike Matthews nor writer Cillian Breathnach provide any.

Perhaps these phrases from the article can be read like poetry:

Dire warning
Ominous warning
Precarious position

A perfect storm
Struggling to meet demand
There is a worldwide panic

Desperate customers
Fraught with this sort of danger
Could cause prices to rise dramatically

3bolt79

Dr. Stratster
Oct 16, 2018
Oregon
I have two Mesa/Boogies. I normally use smaller solid state amps for practice at home, just so that I don’t have to put hours on my tubes. The Mesas are for playing with other people at higher volumes. But just for playing at home, my Orange Crush 35 RT’s are just fine.

Wayne Adams

Strat-O-Master
Aug 12, 2011
Kentucky
This thread reminded me that I was going to pick up a new set of power tubes for my Traynor. Gonna swap the set that's in it for a set of JJ EL34II and see how they sound.

Slacker G

Senior Stratmaster
May 16, 2021
Iowa
The article may be bunk but in case it isn't (you never know) tubes may be a good hedge against the possibility of gold depreciating. Some countries that have suffered economic collapse have confiscated Gold and Silver from their citizens and made it a crime to own or trade in Gold or Silver.

But just name a country that has devalued the vacuum tube or have experienced a price decrease in tubes. Yeah. See what I mean?

ukoldgit

Dr. Stratster
Feb 20, 2018
Wiltshire UK
I'll repeat my post from TDPRI:

The Guitar.com article is little more than an attention-grabbing mini rant from Matthews. Shame on Guitar.com for failing to validate anything he said, then piling on their own breathless hyperbole. The only thing they sort of verified is that Shuguang "does seem to have scaled back production enough to spark online rumours." There may be some facts to learn about the situation, but but neither Mike Matthews nor writer Cillian Breathnach provide any.

Perhaps these phrases from the article can be read like poetry:

Dire warning
Ominous warning
Precarious position

A perfect storm
Struggling to meet demand
There is a worldwide panic

Desperate customers
Fraught with this sort of danger
Could cause prices to rise dramatically

I can refer to my post in "Magazine Recommendations" here on ST, i.e. don't bother with Guitar.com publications as they are total crap, however I thought I would post this thread to see if I had got it totally wrong.