How come nobody thumb strums???

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by mikej89, Apr 1, 2020.

1. davidKOS

davidKOS happy at home Strat-Talk Supporter

and then it'll become a callus and thus useful.

simoncroft and Thrup'ny Bit like this.
  2. simoncroft

simoncroft Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Don't forget Jim Mullen! He plays this way because no-one told him any different, and by the time he realised that was an idiosyncratic way to play, he was too accomplished to want to start again.

dogletnoir, Bill Sheehan and davidKOS like this.
  3. old rocker

old rocker New Member!

totally agree - I never use a pick only ever a finger nail if needed and strum as you say !!

4. ido1957

ido1957 Senior Stratmaster

Fingernails and Pick.

5. trapdoor2

trapdoor2 Senior Stratmaster

I use whatever I need. I don't use a 'thumb style' because I never had a tune that required it. I play fingerstyle guitar occasionally. I do use the thumb to rake backwards (and up strum) as many classic banjo tunes use a "shave and a haircut" ending that rakes down with the index nail on the "two" and quickly back up with the thumbnail on "bits".

After sitting with Leroy Troy one evening I tried incorporating some of his techniques, which include quite a bit of misdirection. One is a thumb rake buried in his clawhammer stroke. That was hard to learn!

6. Wayfinder

Wayfinder Strat-Talker

I pretty much learned on a nylon-string guitar playing folk music, so I very rarely (if ever) use a pick. I finger-pick and strum everything. There are different kinds of picks and the right pick can give you a good, vibrant sound. I've even seen people play some fast classical pieces using a pick, but there are some things for which finger-picking is best. The main problem though is what steel strings do to fingernails; I have to keep my nails really buff (it's all in the nutrients). Nothing wrong with either way, and I do wish I was a really good flatpicker. But I also wish I could play better by sight-reading and wish I could learn piano, Celtic flute and harp. Only so many hours in the day. ;D

7. ZZDoc

ZZDoc Strat-Talk Member

Warmth to my mind means acoustic guitar. The only warmth I get from a Strat is when its been on my shoulder and under my arm for a couple of hours.

8. 440films

440films New Member!

I find that playing with my fingers rather than a pick on my Strats gives my playing a natural compression and subtle dynamics. I rake up and down with my index, thumb and middle and ring. With my right hand keeping the rhythm I can create a wah-wah sound with my cable direct into a black face fender. I taught myself this technique from trying to learn “Stop this Train” by John Mayer a year ago. It has completely transformed my playing. I don’t think I can go back to playing with a pick consistently. I’m can get around those strings too fast and efficiently with 4-5 points of contact. The other benefit is the bridge pickup rolled off just a little doesn’t sound as twangy. It sounds cool AF.