How Did You Learn To Love The Bridge?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Opj77, Aug 16, 2020.

1. howdy-doo

howdy-doo Strat-Talk Member

I like the bridge pickup on my EJ Strat, but I think a lot of that comes down to the wiring having a dedicated tone pot on it that I keep at around 7 basically all the time. On my other strat I have a duncan quarter pound pickup in the bridge which is much hotter and more similar to a tele bridge really; I quite like that because it has single coil character but doesn't have really harsh highs either

Opj77 and nickmsmith like this.
  2. SatinNeck81

SatinNeck81 Strat-Talker

There are more than enough answers on here, but if you are playing it clean, you probably should dial it in using the tone pots but mostly on the amp, which could affect the tones of the other pups. I have an Am Std from 2013 so you have the option of the tone roll off, or using the no-load (which kind of clicks in on 10). My opinion is to use it with dirt, I get great tones out of it stacking either an OD with a fuzz or with either by itself, just needs some dirt and a softer hand on your picking, depending on what you are trying to do. If you are switching back and forth between licks, the ice pick sound turns into a quick little high treble riff that just colors your lead tone a bit. I prefer the 2nd position though which is the middle and bridge most of the time. You don't have to use the bridge pickup very often if you don't like it. Or throw a humbucker in there.

Opj77 likes this.
  3. Peter_Polfeldt

Peter_Polfeldt Strat-Talk Member

Listen to stewart copelands guitarstuff
    Like the music to rumble-fish. its all bridge.

Opj77 likes this.
  4. roccster

roccster Strat-Talk Member

I have installed a superswitch for more options, but never had any issues with my bridge pup. It´s a 2011 US std. and I always roll back the tone a couple of notches. Works perfect for me.

Opj77 likes this.
  5. GlassyD83

GlassyD83 Strat-Talker

I like the fat 50s bridge a lot. one of the better ones ive tried.

CyFan4036 and Opj77 like this.
  6. Slartybartfast

Slartybartfast Strat-Talker

I have a tone control on it, turned down from 5 to 8 all the time, but with the volume down around five I can turn the tone control all the way up again for clean snappy stuff or crisp rythme. Maybe you can just set your amp for the bridge pickup. The other two will sound fine.

CyFan4036 and Opj77 like this.
  7. Wayne Adams

Wayne Adams Strat-O-Master

Always used it for the brighter sound. Played all kinds of stuff from the time I started.

Opj77 likes this.
  8. StratPlayerTPA

StratPlayerTPA Strat-Talk Member

For me to tame the Bridge was easy 3 of my Main Guitars are strictly Single Pickup Guitars but my go workhorse is my Custom 1962 thats a Parts Caster.
    I built this when I was 16 in 1984, I figured if Eddie Van Halen can get all that sound out of a Franky with a single Humbucker, and several other Guitarist
    how much more do you really need? The Neck was Missing the original Clay Dot inlays so when I was fixing it I re-fretted it with 6100 Dunlops
    a Graphite Nut and 2 Kluson Roller Trees for more stability Tuning.

This has gotten me through 30 plus years of Playing over 1000 Gigs around the Country and over Seas / Studio / Teaching / and was a straight simple instrument.
    My first Custom Burst Paint Job, and All parts but the Pickguard and Prototype Seymour Duncan "The JB" custom wound Pickup I have recently updated the Springs
    to a set of Floyd Rose Noiseless and a KGC Brass Claw, My Hand Made Leather Strap are Fender Parts from Fender Elite Brass Works Bridge, The Strat Knobs, Strap Locks.
    It also has vintage CTS 1959 and 62 500k Pots and a Sprague Paper in Oil Cap.

copy.jpg

When you have this Setup you learn how to more effectively control the sound of the Bridge Pickup with the Vol and Tone Pot. I do not use Pedals I am Straight into 2 AB Boxes
    to one Set of Amps for Distortion, the other set clean.

I do have Pedals that were given to me but I dont like tons of Wires, Batteries, to deal with, I do now have 2 Modeling Amps those are for rehearsing and writing.

My first 2 Electrics these Japs Matsumoku Electra Phoenix X110s with Single Hum, 2 way mini for tap and hum, single Vol, Tone I have had since I bought them in 1983
    I have modded these to a MMK45 4 Conductor ou to of Aria Pro ZZ's from the 2 way MMK45 Humbuckers and replaced the 2 way with a 3 way switches for Split, Series,
    and Parallel and now have Metal Pickup Rings.
    80685702_10157663958238950_2900594231934451712_o.jpg 81617749_10157663974653950_2081145515881267200_o.jpg

These also have done several hundred Shows, Recordings and Teaching Sessions. So they all helped me get my playing and style down before I started buying and using
    Multi Pickup Guitars. The Blonde above went through 26 different Pickups before I realized the MMK45 was a good pickup so restored it to the updated model in both these Japs.

Forget your Guitar has multi pickups and force your self to work with the Bridge and see where it takes you on your journey.
    Try different styles of playing Chicken Picking, Surf, Classical, Reggae, Classic Rock, Metal, etc., Technique, and attack will improve your over all experience.

Opj77 likes this.
  9. jayaitch

jayaitch Strat-Talker

How did I learn to love the bridge pickup? A: I finally got a Strat with a killer set of pickups (AVRI ‘56) and B and probably most crucially: The pick guard was aligned and screwed down correctly, so that the pole piece caught enough movement of the high E string.

Opj77 likes this.
  10. Odell

Odell Strat-Talk Member

I borrowed from EJ with a Dimarzio HS2 wired single coil. It's a little hotter than the neck and middle 54's without being overpowering. It also has a dedicated tone control. If you can find a YT demo of EJ's "Virginia" strat, you can hear it.

Opj77 likes this.
  11. stratmister

stratmister Strat-Talk Member

ICE-pick should be the label for the bridge pup.

But as harsh as it may sound when playing at home on your own, it does cut through cymbals and synth in a band situation.
    For my taste, both Jeff Beck and David Gilmore have used it very effectively to lay down solos that cut clear through the wall of sound.

Also be reminded that the analog recording technology of 50's through 70's had limitations, and that ICE-pick was a voice that cut a groove in the signal chain.

Now days with a complete digital signal chain that ICE-pick is too harsh.

Opj77 likes this.
  12. jdanelam

jdanelam Strat-Talker Silver Member

Tone knob and/or overdrive. And it should be closer to the strings than the other pickups. Next would be amp settings. Strat bridge in context (in a band mix) sounds good to me.

Opj77 likes this.
  13. BlurgyWurgyWibble

BlurgyWurgyWibble Strat-O-Master

IMHO you have to get it low.

IMG_20200818_190247.jpg

Roll off to about 7-8. I don't use a treble bleed as I like the way this sounds! With vintage output (5-6k) and stagger it will sound pretty much indistinguishable from a telecaster (you need a bit of mids/bass from your amp obviously).

Opj77 and jayaitch like this.
  14. Alexb1090

Alexb1090 Strat-Talker

Mine is massively overwound, I’ve only got the one guitar so the neck, middle and in betweens do me for all my clean and drive, use the bridge for distorted riffing when I need more focus

15. jayaitch

jayaitch Strat-Talker

....Also, I really believe that Strat and Tele’ bridge “icepick” is a function of pick attack. The lighter and more deliberate with the pick, the less “ice” one gets.

16. amstratnut

amstratnut Peace thru Music.

It works fine. I have somewhat hot bridge pickups.

Opj77 likes this.
  17. no jimmy p

no jimmy p Strat-Talk Member

wire it to a tone pot , it then becomes useable . I use mine in position 2 , never in position 1 ...

Opj77 likes this.
  18. Nightprowler

Nightprowler Strat-Talker

Pinch and tap harmonics which I use a lot in my playing . All my strats are always HSS . I need to have that tonal variety along with the warmer fatter noise free humbucker in the bridge.

Opj77 likes this.
  19. Opj77

Opj77 Strat-O-Master

Wonderful post.

20. Opj77

Opj77 Strat-O-Master

I don’t doubt that one bit. It’s me I doubt. :cool: