Join Strat-Talk Today

How did you learn to play?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Bangbang, Sep 27, 2008.

1. Bangbang

Bangbang Senior Stratmaster

Self taught?books,cd,dvd,instructor......all the above?

2. Shades of Blue

Shades of Blue Most Honored Senior Member

My dad bought an acoustic on a whim when I was 13. After two weeks he gave up and I took it up. I had a teacher for 3 years and he told me one day that he had to fire me because I was teaching him more than he had taught me and he said I was a natural. Played in two bands but now I just play for my church in our praise band.

The BEST way to learn is by playing with your favorite cds and maybe getting tab books to your favorite songs. Before you know it you are playing 10 or so of your faves and learning in the process.

I learned about 4 Joe Satriani songs from tabs when I was 16 and never looked back lol.

3. S. Rock

S. Rock Senior Stratmaster

I started in 1966. I had a book with chords in it and each night I'd learn 3 chords. before long I finished the book and daddy brought home another chord book(Mel Bay). after a while, I started listening to albums by Cream, Buffalo Springfield, and others. the rest came from within. no teachers, just picked stuff up along the way or figured it out. it may be a downfall, but I have my own style and it's gotten me this far.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2008
  4. Boris Bubbanov

Boris Bubbanov Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Learning concert music (mostly wind instruments) in school certainly helped.

But although I did learn a bit from older friends and neighbors on stringed instruments, my path took off while I got paid instruction from a guy named Don Goodwill. He was a few years older and played in one of the better bands in our community; taught me a lot. Taught me to play more by playing less.

5. LanDindsey

LanDindsey Strat-Talk Member

Self taught. I watched a few videos here and there and looked at a few tabs/sheet music every now and then, but I mainly learned by accident. For instance, I'd just be playing random licks I was coming up with and I'd recognize it as part of a song I knew, and just go from there.

I did study the pentatonic scale and later the major scale. Funny thing was, I always thought the pent. scale was missing some vital notes, so I experimented around and added in the ones I thought went well with it, and when I finally looked up the major/minor scales I realized that I had figured it out all by ear.

I never had a special technique, it was just putting in hours of practice a day because I had nothing else to do, which turned out great. :)

6. Dixie Duncan

Dixie Duncan Strat-Talk Member

Self taught. When I was 12, my family moved to a small town in MS. No friends, but my stepdad had a 57 Martin. I grabbed that almost every day and stayed in my roome with my only 2 tapes-...And Justice For All, and SKID ROW. Thanks god, we moved back to ATL after a year, and I could get more tapes, lol.

7. StratmanNick

StratmanNick Senior Stratmaster

Merry Olde England '59 : My parents bought me a guitar for my 9th birthday along with Bert Weedon's "Play In A Day" book. As it turns out many of todays big names learnt the basics from this publication, probably because it was the only thing available here at the time.

Basically self taught, listening to records etc. and advice from a jazz guitarist friend of my Dad's, until I had Classical guitar lessons later on. In hindsight this was a good thing thought at the time I didn't really enjoy it due to the terrible pieces of music I had to learn. Bless them though, through this my parents did buy me a Ramirez which I still own to this day.

Between the ages of 12 to 16 I was in a busy band playing 'covers' which I think helped bring me on as a player.

8. johnreardon

johnreardon Senior Stratmaster

Similar background. I started in the early 60's aged about 15 and a half. Group of friends and my brother decided to form a band, so parents bought us some cheap instruments and, as I was going to play lead guitar, I got old of Berts book.

Within 6 months I was in a band earning money in Working Mens clubs, despite not being officially old enough to go in. Those of my generation have a lot to thank the likes of Bert & Hank. They both inspired us.

Apart from reading the book, I am completely self taught. Never had a lesson in my life and it probably shows :D

9. imwjl

imwjl Strat-Talker

Mostly self-taught. I learned some basics as far as music via K-12 education and have played the guitar on and off for the 30+ years since high school. On vs. off for the past few.

The big boosts for me have been the computer and joining some jams.

10. macwhisper

macwhisper Strat-Talk Member

Learned the hard way

Started in 1963 with a chord book and a Silvertone guitar with an action you could drive a truck under. Used a home stereo for an amp. I'm still learning though. Later of course I would seek out good players and pick their brains. That was a hard thing to to do. These days you can get all of that from the internet. What a great thing that is.

11. raf66

raf66 Strat-Talker

Combination for me. Paid, one-on-one instruction, DVDs, books and the internet. I'm a pretty good self starter so learning on my own has helped quite a bit but I don't think that anything I've done on my own can replace what I've learned in a one-on-one setting with an instructor. You get instant feedback and you're able to make music with another guitarist.

12. stonevibe

stonevibe Strat-Talker

I met this old guy down the end of my street where the roads crossed...

Gonna have to pay him back someday too.

13. Boris Bubbanov

Boris Bubbanov Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

That's my personal theory for why the Southern half of the state of Louisiana is sinking into the Gulf, causing all this flooding.

Seems we got a lot of great guitarists, too many one might say, many of whom have that weight of debt yet to pay.

:twisted:

DVDs? Why, they hadn't invented the pencil yet, when I started playing. I'd say we used cat gut for strings, but they hadn't invented cats either.

14. sarNz

sarNz Senior Stratmaster

After 8 or so years I still don't think I've learned how to play

But the noises that I am able to make are all self taught.

15. cajunman831

cajunman831 Strat-Talk Member

i learned from my uncle.he taught me how to pick old country..ernest tubb,roy acuff and i went on from there and basically taught myself since the mid sixties.i,m more of a hobbyist.i could play in a band,but not that dedicated.

16. cdt194

cdt194 Strat-Talk Member

Everything about guitars I learned on my own. I learned to read music when I was 8. My first guitar was a used 86 MIJ squier strat. Over the years I learned to to do my own setups, rewiring, ect. I met a man in my early teens who worked at a small guitar store repairing guitars. He wrote me out the instructions to do a refinishes. After a few cheap bodies used for the sake of learning the art I got that down too. I had an accident at work about 7 years ago, damaged my left arm beyond repair. I spent the time I was unable to play learning everything their is about building, repairing, and refinishing guitars. Now I run a mod shop out of my home during my spair time. I'm also playing again. I've made 40 guitars from scratch, repaired hundreds, and played hundreds more. I'm currently rebuilding my grandfather's 1950 Broadcaster. I'm doing it back to origional so i'm in the market for origional parts.

17. 1962dguitargeek

1962dguitargeek Strat-Talker

Took a course for half my 7th grade year. (1974). Ran the bars with my hillbilly Uncle 'till '82 playing backup for him (just acoustic country type stuff). Then I would play, get frustrated & drunk and not play for years. Then repeat.
    Fast forward to 2002. Made some big changes & got right right with The Lord and now I'm doing things I never thought I would be doing with a guitar.

18. *Merlin*

*Merlin* Strat-Talk Member

I am self taught up to this point but I am looking for the right Jedi master to try and unteach all my bad habits.
    Sort of an add on and not ment to be a high-jack, but at what point can you call yourself a guitar player?

19. m2dad

m2dad Strat-Talk Member

1963, some ladies at church started giving guitar lessons. I took for a few months but then my parents (with 8 kids) couldnt afford lessons anymore. Then the Beatles appeared on the Ed Sullivan show and I was hooked. I taught myself after that to play Beatles' songs and expanded my repetoire to most kinds of music. I dont think there has been a day since early 1964 that I havent played. I take one of my guitars with me wherever I travel. I have learned best when I am around other guitar players. I always learn something new.

20. old goat

old goat Strat-Talker

Louie Louie

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.