How do I go about refinishing an old strat?

Discussion in 'DIY Strat Forum' started by Rickety, Oct 7, 2021.

1. Scott Baxendale

Scott Baxendale Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

Either the Strip Eze paste or Aircraft Stripper. The aircraft stripper can be purchased at a automotive paint store and stripeze can be bought at Home Depot.

Rickety and dbb541 like this.
  2. Rickety

Rickety Strat-Talk Member

Do you think Watco Paint and Poly remover would work? The closest Home Depot to me is about 3 hours away and I wouldn't even know where to begin looking for an auto paint shop.

Scott Baxendale likes this.
  3. Chuck8436

Chuck8436 Senior Stratmaster

Do you have an autozone near you? I think they sell automotive paint supplies.

Rickety likes this.
  4. Rickety

We have an Advance Auto Parts, an O'Reilly and a couple of small hardware stores, but it's a little hit or miss on what the hardware stores will carry as it's mostly for farm supplies.

Scott Baxendale and Chuck8436 like this.
  5. Chuck8436

Yeah, I know your pain. Your best bet would be to call ahead and ask what they have

Rickety likes this.
  6. Rickety

That's what I'm thinking. Small town blues, unfortunately. It's nice to be somewhere that's not so densely populated, but when you need stuff, your safest bet is an hour and a half away :mad:

Chuck8436 likes this.
  7. Chuck8436

I'm getting ready to move back to my old small town from Houston. Lol. It's a tradeoff for sure, but I'd definitely much rather drive for an extended period than live here for the rest of my life!

8. Believer7713

Believer7713 The Pink Bunnyman Frankenstein Silver Member

I must not be a person then. Lol
    I normally do completely re-profile the body and/or neck in most cases though.

9. burner

burner Strat-Talk Member

Poly finishes come off easily with a heat gun and a scraper...be careful not to scar the wood of course.
    A hair dryer will work in a pinch.
    After u get to bare wood you may have to grain fill, depending on the type of wood.
    After again filling and a few light coats of nitro, I sand it smooth then shoot the color coats..and then the clear.

I actually like Watco clear gloss lacquer..its only like 7-8 bux a can and handles VERY well in my experience....but there's not a lot of product in the can, which begins to add up.
    Obviously getting away from rattle cans and using your own spray system is the best way....and DEFINITELY cheaper!!
    Those rattlecans are ridiculously expensive

10. bam-boozle

bam-boozle Strat-Talk Member

This is your answer

11. Rickety

So I was looking at the existing paint on the guitar last night and realized something very interesting... it doesn't even have a clear coat on it, it looks like it's just a glossy paint with no protection, as the paint is actually starting to peel away a tiny bit, starting at a point where there it some miniscule damage. Like I said, this is a cheapo special from Walmart/Target in the late 90s/early 2000s so I didn't expect much in the way of a professional finish.

As far as upgrading the pots, I'm definitely going to look into that, the very first thing I want to try, however, is resoldering all of the connections and wrapping them with heat shrink, there's a lot of buzzing and cutting in and out right now that I want to try and get rid of and it sounds a lot like when you have a loose connection in a speaker that keeps tapping and tapping until it makes a solid connection for a little bit.

Also, I'm think about using either plastic wood, or a small wood cut out to fill in a small section of the electronics cavity so that I can get a standard Fender Strat pickguard to fit onto it.

12. Scott Baxendale

It might? It doesn’t work well if it’s too runny. It needs to be the paste type. Watco might be good? Everything can be ordered through Amazon I think?

13. Rickety

I usually try and stay away from Amazon unless I absolutely have to, the Watco is pretty inexpensive so if it doesn't work then I can always just order from them.

Scott Baxendale likes this.
  14. Scott Baxendale

I do too, but sometimes it’s the best option.