How do you adjust your tone?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by GuitarGeni, Apr 7, 2021 at 9:53 PM.

1. CigBurn

CigBurn Total Hack

I adjust nothing.. If people are listening to me play and expect it to be enjoyable, I tell them "they" need to adjust their expectations.

:)

2. Hudman_1

Hudman_1 Strat-O-Master

I leave my amp at the same settings. I love pedals. I have an always on compressor for sustain and a clean boost after my wah pedal. I have 6 different styles of electric guitars. Each one has its own unique tone. I adjust the tone with the pickup selector, volume knobs and tone knobs. I also switch between a pick and fingers to affect the tone.

I have an EQD Plumes for a tube screamer type of overdrive and an EVH 5150 overdrive for classic rock overdrive. For modulation I have a flanger, phaser, octave, chorus / univibe and delay on my board. I use the delay the most out of my modulation effects.

StummerJoe likes this.
  3. =KARMA=

=KARMA= Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

4. Wrighty

Wrighty Most Honored Senior Member

First one in with the (possibly) troll post, ‘it’s all in the fingers’. Had to happen.

GuitarGeni and Morf2540 like this.
  5. Wrighty

Wrighty Most Honored Senior Member

Love the attitude, one I shall adopt from now on!

StummerJoe and CigBurn like this.
  6. Cerb

Cerb Anti conformist reformist

I set the tone onbthe amp, depending on what guitar I use. I tweak the tone using the tone- and volume pots on the guitar. I don't use a lot of pedals but if I do, and if they have EQ sertings, I usually set them flat.

GuitarGeni likes this.
  7. Stonetone

Stonetone Senior Stratmaster

Tone Junkie here, so my setups/signal chains can get quite complicated :eek:

upload_2021-4-8_6-22-31.png

StummerJoe likes this.
  8. Morf2540

Morf2540 Senior Stratmaster

Sure tone is in the hands. But there are knobs on our equipment, and OP is looking for some advice on how to set them.

Stratomaster152 and GuitarGeni like this.
  9. Morf2540

Morf2540 Senior Stratmaster

I start with the neck pickup. Guitar tone full open, set the amp so the neck pickup sounds right. You can always roll down the tone for the bridge pickup. I find that if you set the amp to make the bridge pickup sound good with the guitar tone wide open, the neck pickup is too dark. And there’s nothing you can do about without fiddling with the amp.

GuitarGeni and AxemanVR like this.
  10. AxemanVR

AxemanVR I appreciate, therefore I am... Silver Member

^^^ times a million!

Dammit! I keep forgetting to add this: While dialing things in, I am also trying different pick types/thicknesses, since that can dramatically affect your tone as much as anything else mentioned here...

Last edited: Apr 8, 2021 at 8:20 AM
    Cali Dude and FireFunkRevival like this.
  11. Jimbo_Jones

Jimbo_Jones Strat-Talk Member

Yes, the Mark I 10 channel digital tone generator is the best!

12. ToneRanger

ToneRanger Most Honored Senior Member

I start with the guitar - volume wide open, neck pickup wide open, tone knob on the bridge set around 7.

I'll then set the amp for my clean tone - I use the neck pickups and try to dial in a sound that is balanced - I like the neck to sound clear and almost "liquidy" - SRV/Hendrix clean neck tone.
    Then I switch to the bridge and adjust if necessary - usually stays around 7 but may go up or down depending on the amp.

Then I'll adjust my OD pedals - I try to use ones with dedicated treble and bass controls so that I can adapt to the amp.

If I don't have my full board I will usually have at least two OD's - one for a base rhythm tone and a second that I will stack for leads - I usually put the lead after the rhythm so that there can be a boost in volume level - if you put the boost first then you may get more gain but not more volume.

I set the rhythm tone to be sort of a mid gain - again, balanced - bright enough that the neck is not muddy but the bridge is not piercing either - I like to hear clear, string-to-string definition when I hit a chord.

I will then set the lead boost to have more gain, and a darker tone - Fresh Cream on steroids - similar to Eric Johnson's lead tone but maybe a touch brighter.

If I can add a fuzz in then I will put that before the rhythm OD, and usually like a brighter, silicone style fuzz sound.

Delay I set warm with 4 to 6 repeats a 480ms - sometimes I'll add a second delay before the main at a dotted 1/8th offset for ambient sounds.

This clip of my practice rig covers everything but the delay - using a Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive Mod for rhythm and a Giggity stacked after for lead boost, plus a TCE Rusty Fuzz (which is now on my mainboard.)

jd35801 and FireFunkRevival like this.
  13. Rudedawg

Rudedawg Senior Stratmaster

Don't know if this helps but I rarely adjust the tone with my guitars and just leave them at 10. I use a modeling amp so the tone is dialed in at the amp using the desired amps/effects then saved as a custom preset on the foot controller. I have 2 dedicated banks on the controller, one for humbuckers the other for single coils, I don't have to fiddle with anything unless I want to tweak a saved preset.

14. Anacharsis

Anacharsis Strat-O-Master Platinum Supporting Member

All of the above.

There's no wrong answer. It depends on the player, the music, the situation...

jd35801, Wrighty and AxemanVR like this.
  15. Believer7713

Believer7713 The Pink Bunnyman Frankenstein Silver Member

I look at it as a whole. Like making a care drive properly or a plane fly, all the parts have to work together in order to get the sound I am looking for. Some sounds have more parts than others.
    I normally set my guitar and amp together on a dry signal to get the most fullness that I can get for the song I am playing. Then I kick on my board and work all the different parts pretty much at once...also tweaking the guitar and amp as I go through the chain.

16. bbarott

bbarott Most Honored Senior Member

Pedals for modulation, not tone. Dial the amp for tone with the guitar tones set in the middle, so I can tweak 'em either way if needed.

17. Miotch

Miotch Senior Stratmaster

If starting from scratch, I'd start in the order the OP suggested: amp, pedals, guitar. Once it's all set up to my liking, however, the first thing I do is adjust the guitar for a different tone (select pickup first, volume second and then the tone knobs if necessary). If that doesn't get me there, I'll adjust amp a bit and last thing would be to make a change on a pedal.

GuitarGeni likes this.
  18. scooteraz

scooteraz Senior Stratmaster

Add me to the “adjust your expectations” list....LOL

Torvald, Wrighty and CigBurn like this.
  19. albala

albala Most Honored Senior Member

I never touch my amps or my pedals.

All tone is adjusted with guitar volume and single tone control when possible.

I don't need more than 1 tone control.

20. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Dr. Stratster

On the amp. But by the time it gets recorded and mixed, or run through a PA, it sounds different anyway.

Anacharsis likes this.