Warmoth.com ad space available darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups ad space available Reilander Pickups

Warmoth.com ad space available darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups Reilander Pickups

Warmoth.com ad space available darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups Reilander Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

How do you approach playing the guitar?

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by DeadCircuits, Jan 10, 2017.

1. nigelr

nigelr Strat-O-Master

Aug 28, 2014
    Switzerland
    For me it's all about the connection with the guitar. If I pick up a 335 type instrument then I play very differently to when I pick up a Les Paul or Strat because the note reacts a different way. If I'm looking for tone and resonance then a 335 gives that to me, but I can't play fast on it because to me it isn't about playing fast. If I want to play fast then I need a Les Paul or Strat because the note "feels" different.

Strange, but there it is.

Stark, s5tuart, Strats4me and 2 others like this.
  2. DogBoy13

DogBoy13 Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

3. Raiders757

Raiders757 Strat-O-Master

Sep 2, 2016
    Virginia
    Some days I just pick one of my guitars up and noodle away for hours. Other days I go by my practice schedule.

- 15 minutes: Finger Exercises (Scales, up down picking workouts etc...)
    - 30 minutes: Some sort of online lesson, be it on YouTube or some other site. For example, I'll practice along with JustKNickMusic's You Tube lessons or fiddle with on of the lessons provided by my subscription to Guitar world.
    - 30 minutes: Learning a song
    - 45 minutes: Noodling

I also bought Rocksmith 2014 for the PC to inspire me to learn songs outside the my norm. Found it to be really fun and am learning stuff I would otherwise never even try.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2017
  4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. DogBoy13

There's that, for sure, and also what I've thrived on for a long, long time : the "magical state" (state of Grace, or trance, or whatever) that listening to certain music/sounds induces . The commonality in all of it is that we ourselves are always the engine
    of experience . Music happens and becomes important within the mysterious interactive zone where awareness and stimulus
    do their dance . What , exactly, induces these states of awareness of "magic" are different for everyone . What these states are are very different for everyone, and also very the-same in some ways . Music, both listening and creating, is, for me, a very direct
    avenue to experiencing the transcendent , and facilitating transcendence to be an ongoing, if not ordinary , way of being .
    Hard to think of anything more powerfully transformative than music :whistling:

6. carver

carver The East Coast Strangler Strat-Talk Supporter

I use ninja tricks and sneak up on them

7. Rastus

Rastus Senior Stratmaster

Jan 1, 2014
    Australia
    "How do you approach playing the guitar" ?...

Hello,

This question ultimately depends on your goals, & what you would like to receive for your efforts in trying to understand the art-form of music itself...The guitar just happens to be the instrument of choice, & likely its sound, whilst played by some-one competent, inspired you enough to inquire further...

As for myself, all through life we're taught analyze, discuss & eventually handle whatever it is that we're interested in. So for me, it made sense to learn the basics about a guitar itself ( components names etc etc ), & then ultimately how its design corresponded with the basic music theory I'd learned through school...

Once I knew how to play the Major scale in its many different patterns on the guitar, I was flying along, with the only thing holding me back being myself.

Cheers,

Rastus

8. albala

albala Most Honored Senior Member

May 10, 2012
    stamford, CT
    A college professor teaching an intro to Jazz course taught me more about the language of music than I could have figured out on my own. He would say 'learn everything about music, then forget it'. It sounds simple and silly, but it's the exact same as learning a language. When I speak, I don't think about tenses and pluralities, I just speak. Same thing with typing. So is my approach to the guitar.

Obviously, I haven't learned everything and my musical vocabulary is therefore limited, but I don't think about the rules of music when I'm playing...I try to listen and play what I'm thinking/feeling.

Most of the time I'm playing with music, I have a picture in my head that corresponds to a memory and the song is evoking that memory.

I've been playing the guitar since I was 12 (now 43) so it's very much a part of me and I couldn't imagine my life without it.

9. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh needs you to go ahead and come in on Sunday, too. Strat-Talk Supporter

Jan 10, 2014
    Initech, Inc.
    Jealous.
    I always inevitably wind up stepping on a stick or something. They spook and get away before I ever have a chance.

s5tuart, mshivy, Mansonienne and 3 others like this.
  10. vlxerdon

vlxerdon Strat-Talker

Jan 31, 2013
    Coastal Georgia
    We should get together sometime. We could sneak up on em from both sides. :)

11. Bad Bowtie

Bad Bowtie Strat-Talker

Feb 27, 2016
    CANADA
    All of mine are willing Participants.... no need to chase them...they beg me to Play them. :cool:

vlxerdon, Strats4me and DogBoy13 like this.
  12. sam_in_cali

sam_in_cali Scream for me Strat-Talk! Strat-Talk Supporter

Feb 21, 2014
    Santa Maria, CA
    When I was a little kid, the first song that I really remember getting to me...like making me do air guitar and prompting me to want a real guitar was Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap. Since that day, the sound of a power chord with a heavy crunch has been like a drug. All these years later, I still just like to make that same noise with my own hands/gear. I know I haven't progressed much lately nor do I practice like I would like to, but just being able to riff out or wank out some pentatonic stuff over a few songs from my youth is such a stress relief nowadays that I'm OK with that.

So I guess I approach my guitar depending on my stress/attention level; if I just want to unwind, I'll pick it up and mindlessly noodle around on it unplugged on the couch. If I had a ****ty day and need to vent, I'll crank up the amp and just go thru a bunch of old riffs in my head. If everything is copacetic, I'll pick a song/riff to learn and practice on that for awhile.

red house 82, Rastus, jjudas and 8 others like this.
  13. mshivy

mshivy Senior Stratmaster

I basically like to steal licks from other people and try to show off. Now that I'm old and the chicks don't dig me anymore, I've resorted to posting my annoying little iPhone videos on the forum in hopes my degenerate buddies will say I'm good. It helps my swollen ego and makes me feel like the cool kid in high school and not a middle aged loser who sits in a cubicle all day :whistling:

Rastus, jjudas, Strats4me and 7 others like this.
  14. henderman

henderman Senior Stratmaster

Dec 4, 2013
    largo,fl
    A little of all the above -

My goal is to play what I hear or feel, real time, I am a little behind, but I am enjoying the ride.

It is an emotional T-shirt cannon and like Mouse said, it takes me away from the hoo-ha.

I see the guitar as a tool so you need to know how to operate it, it is like a typewriter. Where is the x again ?

Music is a language, if you can understand and speak it fluently and know how the typewriter works you are on your way, baby !

Like anything else, you should have already practiced and done the work so many times that you are now able to autopilot and perform with out thought, thinking is actually dangerous in the middle of battle, you are supposed to already KNOW, deep thought is for the classroom.

But what works the best however is I tell my guitar I have been thinking about her all day and that the red dress she has on is my favorite and that I love her as I hand her new strings. :)

15. Malurkey

Malurkey Strat-Talker

Dec 28, 2016
    Netherlands
    I remember this documentary on the recording of 'Achtung Baby'. Edge was telling about how they couldn't get a guitar solo quite right. So he and the studio technician locked themselves in the studio one night, and started recording. Edge was going through a divorce at that time, and in an ultimate attempt poured all the emotions and heartache into that solo. Afterwards the technician said: "Edge, that was... ...not good..."

Edge listened the recording back and agreed: "It was absolute crap". It never got used.

Pouring your heart in does not automatically gets you good results.

I once saw an interview with Toots Thielemans, when he was already very old. He'd had a stroke and said that suddenly he had to think about playing the guitar, instead of just imagining the sound and it coming out automatically.

That is my goal. To master my instruments to such an extent that I can just imagine the outcome and it will happen.

davidKOS and DogBoy13 like this.
  16. DogBoy13

Mine can smell me. "You're not touching me unless you wash those filthy paws , you animal" .
    They're like Parrots ; they learned to say that from Mrs. Dog .

Stark and vlxerdon like this.
  17. Strats4me

Strats4me Senior Stratmaster

Feb 17, 2014
    Florida Panhandle
    I started by using a tennis racket as a guitar while listening to Foreign 4 on a turntable...didnt get my first guitar till I was 25... picked up a Ibanez rg of some sort...this was an escape from my divorce of my first wife...SRV was actually the catalyst to get a guitar, but not sure why I got an Ibanez....

I just enjoy making sounds like the hero's of my youth...it is a sort of time travel back to cruising the mall in my Gremlin and going to arcades....also takes me back to my time in the US Navy from '86 thru '89....Hairband mega years!

I play to make others look good!

Rock on
    eric

Rastus and mshivy like this.
  18. CalicoSkies

CalicoSkies Senior Stratmaster

Jun 10, 2013
    Hillsboro, OR, USA
    I tend to feel like there's music inside and things I feel, and a guitar is a way to let it flow out musically. It's something I've thought about for music instruments in general. I play a bit of piano/synthesizer too, and I feel the same way about it.

19. fezz parka

fezz parka Wiggler of Sticks Strat-Talk Supporter

I approach it with my hands. Then my mind. :)

20. davidKOS

davidKOS Obsessed Musician Strat-Talk Supporter

May 28, 2012
    California

Muscle memory? ;)

fezz parka likes this.
  21. fezz parka

fezz parka Wiggler of Sticks Strat-Talk Supporter

Muscle & Data!

davidKOS likes this.