How do you continue to enjoy the music of someone you found out was a total a'hole

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by Mason Gordon, Jun 22, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mason Gordon

Mason Gordon Strat-Talk Member

Born in the 1950s, I was lucky enough to be brought up on the finest and most creative musical talent spanning the '60s, 70s and to a lesser extent the 1980s. I had heroes in The Beatles, Stones, Hendrix, Cream, Pink Floyd, Free, Deep Purple and even Elvis, well very early pre Holywood, pre-obese Elvis, along with many others, however as the years have passed it turns out that there was a total a'hole in each of the aforementioned legends along with many other artists and bands that I loved.

The most disappointing of all for me being John Lennon. I adored The Beatles and still do, but my enjoyment of their music is now forever tainted every time I hear Lennon's nasal vocals since I found out over the years what a horrible person he was to his wife, child and many a fan. The Stones in their early days had the extremely unpleasant Brian Jones fathering children everywhere and abandoning them; Hendrix's nasty alcoholic and drug addled incidents; Cream's Ginger smack-head the epitome of nastiness; Floyd's "I am Pink Floyd" Waters, (it turned out he wasn't) who treated the gentle and mega-talented Rick Wright like a lackey; Free's Paul Rogers who treated Paul Kossoff, one of the finest blues guitarists ever, appallingly; Purple's Blackmore who to this day is still just a complete a'hole; and finally Elvis turns out to be a hick and a drug using hypocrite who tried to get the CIA to prevent the Beatles from working in America.

In spite of the knowledge I now have of many a favourite band or artist's seriously unpleasant traits, I still listen to them, but the gloss has somewhat faded. Yes, I know there are a'holes everywhere, but they don't spoil my enjoyment of my musical favourites. It's a bit like finding out that Santa, the Tooth Fairy, The Easter Bunny and God are all made up.

2. Ace38

Ace38 Senior Stratmaster

My all time favorite thing to do is go to a movie. I LOVE movies.

If I didn't separate the art from the artist, I'd never step foot in a theater again.

drp146, neonoctafish, gmann and 27 others like this.
  3. Stratafied

Stratafied Most Honored Senior Member

Beatles are still my # 1 band. I’m more pissed at John for snubbing Julian Lennon, and then marring that con artist Yuko.

4. Stratafied

Stratafied Most Honored Senior Member

Some artists need to get over themselves, especially when they get all Political and chummy with certain politicians.

5. J4ME5

J4ME5 Strat-O-Master

There's nothing wrong with being a 'hick', or a drug-using hypocrite for that matter... :) !!

[​IMG]

jwj1701, Rocket King, 3bolt79 and 3 others like this.
  6. tanta07

tanta07 Senior Stratmaster

If you're only going to appreciate art made by super nice guys, your options are going to be severely limited.

7. SonOfLerome

SonOfLerome Senior Stratmaster

I’ve had trouble with LZ since I heard about Jimmy Page’s controversies… even made me reconsider buying his signature tele

T-Rey and 3bolt79 like this.
  8. wjsb316

wjsb316 Strat-Talker

It literally doesn't matter. If it sounds good I'm listening. Example, Lars of Metallica is a total douche, but I still stream them, idgaf

9. sam_in_cali

sam_in_cali Scream for me Strat-Talk! Silver Member

Well, rock music has an almost endless list of a-holes. That's kind of a big part and the allure of the genre. The beauty is that everyone has their own spectrum of what they will and and won't condone and support.

tery, JB74, jd35801 and 8 others like this.
  10. Guy Named Sue

Guy Named Sue Censored

The list of decent good people in rock music is very short.

11. Bob Spumoni

Bob Spumoni Senior Stratmaster

I listen to the music. It has been a commonplace since the fifties in critical theory re poetry and literature generally that biography has no place in a serious effort at plumbing the depths of a work of art. It can make for interesting context - i have read a LOT of bioghraphies of artists I admire - but when it comes to the artwork itself, that's all just a distraction. The only thing worse is appropriating a text or work as a medium for political whining or for demonstrating some numbskull ideological take on matters historical or sociological.

3bolt79 and SalvorHardin like this.
  12. AngelDeVille

AngelDeVille Senior Stratmaster

I'm just as abrasive in person as I am on the forums.

Doc538, Robert Graf, 3bolt79 and 2 others like this.
  13. bluejazzoid

bluejazzoid Strats Amore Silver Member

Can you name a musician you listen to who is NOT an a'hole of sorts (to your knowledge)?

Generally speaking, really brilliant artists aren't respected and revered for their social graces and kindness towards others.

Mr_10awg and 3bolt79 like this.
  14. Seamus OReally

Seamus OReally Mr. Serious Gold Supporting Member

You can't go by anecdotes or fan encounters. We're ALL assholes once in a while.

15. of this world

of this world Senior Stratmaster

that's the long and short of it in my opinion... and that extends pretty far beyond rock and roll.

jd35801, 3bolt79 and Mansonienne like this.
  16. Daddy Do Thang

Daddy Do Thang Strat-Talk Member

Just an a-hole I can deal with.

But if I find out they harm children or worship certain fallen entities I'm done.

17. SeventySevenStrat

SeventySevenStrat Strat-Talk Member

It's a tricky question, I don't think you can totally separate the art from the artist. But I think there's a large difference between someone like Lennon who at times could definitely be an arsehole and someone like Ian Watkins lead singer of The Lost Prophets who was convicted of the sexual assault of young children and babies.

I guess it's a personal decision to whether you can reconcile someone's behaviour with your love of their art, and although there are things in Lennon's life I'm not a fan of, I have to admit that if my life was put under a microscope the way Lennon's has been there would be plenty of things I wouldn't be proud of either, so while I may not approve of Lennon's antics I can understand him as a person, and so I'm not ashamed to love him as an artist. With someone like Watkins I think everything he's ever produced should be burnt.

aiabx, jd35801, FrieAsABird and 4 others like this.
  18. Seamus OReally

Seamus OReally Mr. Serious Gold Supporting Member

There's a pretty big gap between being an ******* and a heinous criminal.

Nate D, JB74, jd35801 and 7 others like this.
  19. albala

albala Most Honored Senior Member

Unless they were an a$$hole to me directly, who am I to judge?

Archtops, JB74, 3bolt79 and 1 other person like this.
  20. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Dr. Stratster

Speaking as a total a-hole, I guess it doesn't matter :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.