How do you continue to enjoy the music of someone you found out was a total a'hole

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by Mason Gordon, Jun 22, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. macoshark

macoshark Senior Stratmaster

Were all flawed. Not totally though. It won't hurt you to cut someone some slack.

2. MrClint

MrClint Strat-Talker

I think you summed it all up nicely in the first comment! When you disagree with people's politics, lifestyles, etc a lot, as I do, you wouldn't watch or listen to very much entertainment at all. Who wants to live in an echo chamber? Separate the art from the artist, it's the best way to roll.

tery likes this.
  3. Gevalt

Gevalt Strat-O-Master

Great points, and it helps me! Broken homes create superfans.
    I've read too many rock books. 25 years of rock obsession and it was always devolving into hero worship.
    The "more than music" part is a double-edge.
    Looking for "my people", my mirrors to understand myself more, and I do. Some of my fave dudes are Psychopaths and clinical narcissists, and that's not as much of a bummer as I thought, because at least I know I'm not.

Listening to music can get too personal, and rejecting these artists as friends and family is confusing. I'm choosing to not throw out the bathwater with the baby, because I don't like my impulse to deny myself art.

I didn't start the thread, but thanks for all the opinions so far! Very relevant to me.

4. Dadocaster

Dadocaster Dr. Stratster

If the person and persona are integral to the song my dislike for the person can spoil the song. A song about being a posturing loud mouthed idiot can amuse me but if I find it's autobiographical it loses the amusing quality.

guitarface likes this.
  5. guitarface

guitarface Most Honored Senior Member

This is a good point- the persona. Take woody Allen. Most of his movies have a “woody Allen” character in them, whether played by him or someone else. Makes it hard to watch. On the other hand, you could watch a Roman Polanski movie without knowing it’s a Roman Polanski movie. Makes it easier to put it out of your mind and separate things.

Dadocaster likes this.
  6. StratMike10

StratMike10 Dr. Stratster Gold Supporting Member

It is definitely a dilemma, most of us would prefer to associate/follow/respect, etc. people that share our values.

It helps if we get off our own pedestal and viewing ourselves as exemplifying the values that we hold, and exercise some humility - Think of the 3 duchiest things you did in your life, and tell your family and friends about it, or put them in the hands of a writer who is salivating at the prospect of smearing your image.

It's hard to separate the activity from the actor, and morally questionable to turn a blind eye in order to cater to our enjoyment of the art.

But it is Rock n Roll... sometimes you just have to say what the F*** and move on

7. Ebidis

Ebidis Providing the world with flat bends since 1985

Yeah, it's too bad that musicians have to be human.

Cerb likes this.
  8. The-Kid

The-Kid Dr. Stratster

I dont know how to put it.......

But what is it to anyone that an artist was an a-hole?

Did you have to endure that person personally or jam with them or were you in their band or married to them? How were you affected by this persons actions first hand that you most likely have never talked to or met?

What does this mantra serve and to what ends.....

Just listen to their music, be happy they made it if its good music, appreciate it and whatever approach you go about it, it does not really make their music less or more worthy.

Nadnitram likes this.
  9. guitarface

I think most of us are using a-hole as a shorthand for a bunch of things, most of which are worse than just being unpleasant to be around.

10. Seamus OReally

Seamus OReally Mr. Serious Gold Supporting Member

Right, there’s a continuum of behavior, from simply being a jerk to a fan all the way to **** child cannibal.

guitarface likes this.
  11. The-Kid

The-Kid Dr. Stratster

I guess but like who cares how much of an ahole someone was, in what manner or however many people think someone is\was an ahole....

Its just like who cares. What purpose does it serve, who does it benefit. The exercise in itself is tiring to watch and well just see from a distance in itself....

Like....who cares? Its just a waste of time.

Nadnitram likes this.
  12. guitarface

I can’t really explain it in the way you’d like, but to answer your question, I care if someone is an unrepentant racist, fascist, murderer, thief or misogynist. On the voluntary side, I’d choose not to give them my money. On the involuntary side, it makes it hard to enjoy their music when it pops into my head oh, this is that tune by that guy that killed someone driving drunk.

Nadnitram and The-Kid like this.
  13. The-Kid

The-Kid Dr. Stratster

There used be a time when people just kept that to themselves and didnt listen to XYZ artist.

Most of the time when people get into this "such and such was an ahole" discussions its less for what your saying and coming from IMO and its more of a tribal battle in general over minuscule petty things that people decide to die on some hill over.

Its a lot easier to just not like an artist for whatever reason and just keep it yourself is all I am saying. Whats so hard about that? People used to do that all the time and it worked out fine for them.

stevierayfan91 likes this.
  14. MGW-AB

MGW-AB Strat-Talker

Deleted

15. guitarface

Who said anything about not keeping it to yourself? The original post asked how do you continue to enjoy it?

16. The-Kid

The-Kid Dr. Stratster

Again....like Im saying....who cares....

Listen to it, dont, talk about it negatively or positively.

My answer is who cares? For $1000......

17. Ebidis

Ebidis Providing the world with flat bends since 1985

And yet you continue to argue your point, and not let it go.

Just sayin'. :whistling:

guitarface likes this.
  18. RoyC

RoyC Senior Stratmaster

Dolly Parton. A very nice person and a huge artist, in more ways than one. :whistling:

aiabx, dirocyn and bluejazzoid like this.
  19. PonyB

PonyB Strat-O-Master

Lostprophets lost profits.
    https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-wales-25412675

20. Wrighty

Wrighty Most Honored Senior Member

Have to say I’ve seen nor heard of anything from GG since the incident.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.