How do you de-corona a used guitar?

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by lightningflash, Apr 14, 2020.

1. brazil66

brazil66 Strat-Talker

Steramine Sanitizing Tablets . I buy mine on Amazon.

2. Ramblify

Ramblify New Member!

Oh, I forgot to mention, stay away from cleaning products that have 'citrus' in them (it's a very common cleaning ingredient) - not good for maple wood!

Yes, as Andy Summers, above has mentioned - soapy water is effective (I wash all my fresh fruits and veg in mild detergent and water) - not sure if you want to try that - you obviously don't want to soak the guitar!

Andy Summers likes this.
  3. old rocker

old rocker New Member!

The virus can only survive 3 days on a hard surface we are told here in the UK

4. Laphillyboy

Laphillyboy Strat-Talk Member

When I saw the title of this thread in my email I thought it referred to Corona CA and had to do with making a Fender more like one of the old "Fullerton-style" models (i.e. De-Corona...). LOL. How quickly our use of a term can change.

RobZ69 and wrvond like this.
  5. Wayfinder

Wayfinder Strat-Talker

COVID-19 isn't an air-borne virus. It "coming off a surface and going airborne"... nah. So you can ignore that nonsense.

Interestingly, viruses and bacteria both hate sunlight. So you could set your guitar out in the bright sun for an hour on each side.

Myself, I'd spray LYSOL on a rag and go over it. Try a small, non-obvious spot on the side first to make sure some freaky thing doesn't happen, but Lysol is pretty near instant death for the virus.

Rubbing alcohol will work fine for non-nitro finishes.

But for "they say" rumors about COVID-19, I'd ignore them and go right to the sources. The CCD and WHO have official websites that will tell you about everything you want to know. I wouldn't even trust online articles from PHDs... because a lot of those people know little more about COVID than the average guy, are just posting opinion, and have the primary agenda of playing the fame game. I've read PHD articles that range from, "Don't panic, it's not that bad" to doom and gloom, end-of-our-species scenarios. You know what PHD stands for, right? ;D

Enjoy your new git! :D

Last edited: Apr 22, 2020
  6. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Most Honored Senior Member

exactly what I thought at first..

r

SAguitar and Wayfinder like this.
  7. oscarwott

oscarwott New Member!

Lots of people here overreacting. Corona is a horrible situation and everything but there is absolutely zero chance it is still alive inside the contents of the package. If you're really paranoid leave the package for a couple days without opening it but thats likely not really worthwile at all. Washing the guitar sounds really pointless, as if anything even got on the guitar then it would be dead right now aftering being in their for days, thats if the seller even had the virus to begin with. Maybe ask the seller if they or their family members have/had the virus, if not there is likely absolutely nothing to worry about

JP68, RobZ69 and Wayfinder like this.
  8. Wayfinder

Wayfinder Strat-Talker

Albala, if COVID-19 was airborne, you could be guaranteed that "social distancing" would be totally useless... and we'd all be in far more serious trouble. It is not an airborne virus.

COVID-19 is a particle-transmitted and surface virus. It is transmitted by body fluids that become vaporized (such as sneezing or coughing) Such fluids quickly fall to the ground or other surfaces, where they still remain contagious for differing periods, depending on the surface.

Be thankful for small blessings. This stuff could have been much worse. Imagine if it was airborne and had an infection rate of 48 hours and a death rate like the Spanish Flu. We don't know if COVID will further mutate or what the end game will be, but for right now it's not a "worst nightmare" scanrio. (I'm no expert but I've been following this statistically daily since March 3 when it "hit" the U.S. I read a lot and research a lot... which is what everyone should be doing. Not the bogus blogs, but the official sources that are in the front lines. Opinions mean nothing. Facts mean everything.)

Beware spreading rumors. We can check the facts on https://www.cdc.gov or https://WHO.int

RobZ69 likes this.
  9. circles

circles Resident Pinball Enthusiast

Soak the entire guitar in a bathtub of alcohol for a week.

Wayfinder and RobZ69 like this.
  10. albala

albala Most Honored Senior Member

I know and thank you for the facts

I think it was someone else that had heard it was airborne and added it to the conversation

Wayfinder likes this.
  11. hogrider16

hogrider16 Strat-Talker

Send it to me. I'll take care of it. :whistling:

Wayfinder and RobZ69 like this.
  12. Ramblify

Ramblify New Member!

I read a news article today that says virus research shows the pathogen is airborne!
    https://apple.news/Ak1u3UyQQS56Yeyk-nyMAqA

13. wrvond

wrvond Senior Stratmaster

I have always been a bit of a germaphobe and clean pretty much everything I buy - even new.
    Every guitar gets a thorough cleaning and inspection followed by a coat of wax on every hard surface I can reach, except for rosewood, that gets mineral oil.
    Without a proper shot, cooties can last an entire school year IIRC.

14. zosoreid

zosoreid New Member!

CB91710 likes this.
  15. rockon1

rockon1 Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

Aint read the whole thing- let it sit a few days.

RobZ69 likes this.
  16. DeanIversenGreen

DeanIversenGreen Strat-Talk Member

UV light, get a wand, it takes 3 seconds under the right UV light to destroy any and all virus's that may be present... do the box first, then contents

you can get a good 10" wand for like $80

Dee

Last edited: Apr 22, 2020
  17. RobZ69

RobZ69 Senior Stratmaster

I hope the wood does not breathe too strongly!!!:sneaky:

18. RobZ69

Just leave it be for more than three days. No virus survives that. (yet...:eek:)

19. Strat Jacket

Strat Jacket Senior Stratmaster

In before the lock...:whistling:

20. RobZ69

No virus survives 9 days. As far as I have read, research shows Corona can survive 96 hours on steel. On copper less than that. On a poly or otherwise finished wood... Not sure but not 9 days. So 9 days is safe but overkill. 5 days should be enough.

Yeats likes this.