Join Strat-Talk Today

How do you feel about Chapman guitars?

Discussion in 'Non-Fender S-Type Guitar Forum' started by SYCORAX, Dec 17, 2019.

1. SYCORAX

SYCORAX Strat-Talker

Personally I think their the best small guitar company right now. They're affordable models play and sound amazing, and are cheap. But the high end models are just plain impressive. I own a cap10 blackout which was a run of 23 guitars. The other chapmans I've played are also incredibly good. But my cap10 is easily the best guitar I've ever played or owned. It sounds insane and plays just as good. I know this all comes down to opinion. But i figured I'd pass on my experience in case anyone wants a chapman.

If you are thinking about getting one, do it. It's well worth it.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2019
  2. guitarface

guitarface Most Honored Senior Member

Jumbo frets. Or maybe even extra jumbo. If that’s your thing, go for it. It ain’t my thing. But I do like rob.

Cyberi4n and SYCORAX like this.
  3. SYCORAX

SYCORAX Strat-Talker

Yeah I really like the radius and big frets. It is perfect. It's not as flat as an Ibanez but its flatish. I dont like the radius on les paul style guitars or the ec esp type radius. That more rounded and small frets. It's just not comfortable for me. Maybe the neck having unique qualities makes it so appealing to me. Other than that it's a pretty normal s style guitar. Mahogany body maple neck. Seymour blackouts.

Rob is the man, one of the nicest dudes I've ever hung around. He is very humble and gave me a ton of lessons for next to nothing. That was well before his youtube success though. I'm sure he makes some money for lessons these days lol.

4. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit is no longer legal tender Strat-Talk Supporter

I can't stand the bloke or his guitars.

5. circles

circles Resident Pinball Enthusiast Strat-Talk Supporter

He seems very shred-centric.

6. SYCORAX

SYCORAX Strat-Talker

To each his own! Cant fault ya for your opinions!! I mean I could but no sense in being a ween.

Papa Che, circles and TangerineDog like this.
  7. little_wing142

little_wing142 Senior Stratmaster

they seem like high end cheap guitars, if that makes sense. They seem very mechanically constructed with no real personality. I feel like with a Fender there is a certain amount of workmanship, the Chapman seem like they are all CNC'ed with thick type finishes. They might play well but I prefer Fender type gutars (which is why i'm here!!!)

8. sam_in_cali

sam_in_cali Scream for me Strat-Talk! Strat-Talk Supporter

Yep, got the same vibe from the Wylde Audio guitars...

mshivy and Stratoskater like this.
  9. Yardbird

Yardbird Strat-Talk Member

I like the content that Andertons and Robs channels put out on You toob. I think him and lee are entertaining and although their tastes musically differ from mine I appreciate the way they review things and how much material they produce. Rob can certainly play even if he does frustrate by shredding on everything he picks up whilst Lee seems to be developing and enjoyable bluesy style but this thread is about the guitars....

....and i can't see id ever own one. The whole Chapman brand seems to be a tad generic, mass produced corny designs and aimed at dad-metallers or pointy axe fan youths who learnt to play with masses of distortion listening to social media guitarists. I dont get the signature series either.

Fair enough it doesnt matter who the signatory on a signature guitar is if you like the guitar. For example i like the Richie Kotzen strats but hes not an idol of mine. But a signature guitar for a mate who runs a guitar shop that is your main dealer and isnt known for playing guitar... well it isnt the hallmark of a brands commitment to musical excellence.

Having seen how they are made and having played a few, I just get this vibe that Chapman guitars are exceptional hipster accessories that scream modern bohemian guitaist and go well with multiple leather bracelets and a really expensive vape pen, whilst unfortunatley being fairly mediocre musical instruments.

If i was to step away from the likes of Fender and Gibson, there are loads of British brands hand making excellent guitars at reasonable prices that id look at before Chapman. Although to be honest after recent threads this Vaschenko guy is dominating my GAS

10. guitarface

guitarface Most Honored Senior Member

Hipster is the last thing Chapman makes me think of.

Paperback Rocker and SYCORAX like this.
  11. Yardbird

Yardbird Strat-Talk Member

Yeah to be fair others have said the same to me. The guy with a reliced wall ornament that doesnt get played probably fits the hipster bill alot more but theres just something about the Chapman designs that takes em off my radar.

By the way I know that the guitars get great reviews and i think its brilliant that they have done so well and put guitars into more players hands whilst offering an alternative to the big names. I applaud what they've achieved and by no means do i think they are rubbish. They aren't. Many people have gotten on spot on with them and if they are your bag then 100% thats cool.

12. jwj1701

jwj1701 Strat-Talker

Always loved the YouTube channel. Finally got to play one personally brought in used at GC. The Captains white signature and I have to say it’s good guitar. I was tempted but I’ll stick to my single coils.

little_wing142 likes this.
  13. 650Thunderbird

650Thunderbird Strat-Talk Member

The Captain is a future legend. He's just doing it in reverse, signature guitar first, then get good :sneaky:

I have no feelings, either way, about Chapman guitars. I do enjoy some of their videos together (Rob and The Cap'n), they can be chuckle worthy, IMO.

SYCORAX likes this.
  14. SYCORAX

SYCORAX Strat-Talker

Yeah I own one of the blackout cap10 models they only did 23 of them. It's the best guitar I've owned by far. I own a lot of nice guitars I've collected over the years. 1970 strat, a 72 les paul, 2 custom shop fenders from 2015, a shur tele, and a couple esp shred guy guitars. My chapman smokes them all. I dont kno if that particular limited run was just outstanding or what. I've played a couple other chapmans and they were pretty good, nothing out of the Ibanez and Jackson type feeling. Like a good mid range guitar. I love all my guitars and I'm a big time vintage tele lover. Strats are awesome too but teles are like my absolute favorite. I dream about nocasters, often lol.

I like rob' and andertons channels in small doses. Their all great guitarists. Rob doesnt just play shred stuff but he does like to wank. If anything I prefer the Danes playing over any of them. (Imagine that he loves teles too) I wish I heard better things about chapmans. It just seems they dont produce the guitar I have normally. Which is sad because I'd love for you guys to feel this guitar. It changed my mind about them.

Thanks for everyones input, weather you love them or hate them I'm just interested in how people see them and if theyve played them and what they think. I play mine everyday, along with my tele and usually a strat. But I can definitely I'm addicted to playing. That's why I came here!

15. rocknrollrich

rocknrollrich Senior Stratmaster

He seems like a nice dude. And I do enjoy some of their videos. I realize their reviews are more like commercials, but they are still good.
    I really like how they blindfold the guy constantly, and he is always spot on with his predictions.
    I haven't ever tried a Chapman. Actually, I don't think I have ever been in the same room as one.
    They seem like they'd be a decent guitar.
    I would give one a try if I ever come across one.

mshivy and Ruscio like this.
  16. fezz parka

fezz parka Duke of Dilligaf Strat-Talk Supporter

I played one. Looked like a widdlywoo Tele. Made some noise on it. Seemed fine.

For 500 bucks...I'd spend a little more and get a Fender. Or spend a little less and get a Squier.

But I'm not their demographic. I like traditional guitar designs.

17. UmpaHimself

UmpaHimself Senior Stratmaster

Seem like a great bang for the buck. Not my style though.

SYCORAX likes this.
  18. KillingTone

KillingTone Strat-Talker

I don't have a Strat style Chapman but I do have a Ghost Fret Pro, which is Chapman's take on the Explorer body, but in a smaller size, maybe 80% the size of a Gibson Explorer. I like Explorers so the Ghost Fret appealed to me. I ordered through GC with store pickup and did not take the first one that came in. Very playable but I thought the finish was too uneven. So they put that one on the wall (they told me they were planning to bring one in-store anyway) and ordered me another, which I liked much better finish-wise and it was also very playable. I agree with the OP as to the quality of the build and playability. I love the neck, fast satin finish with ebony fretboard, and the neck-through design gives it lots of sustain. The stainless steel jumbo frets are much tougher than nickel and awesome for bends, and there is a tusq nut and locking tuners. The body has a thick flamed maple cap with a THIN satin finish (no poly-shell on the Pro models) and you can see the flamed grain in the reveal (natural) binding. The pups are pretty hot and maybe I'll think about replacing them at some point but I'm pretty happy with them. All in all, I am really, really happy with this guitar and I play it often, more than my Explorer, about the same amount as my Strat and LP actually.
    As for Rob Chapman, I guess you have to enjoy his personality and sense of humor (I do) and most likely if he rubs you the right way, you might buy one of his guitars. Wrong way and you will likely never send any cash his way. I suspect he is more liked than disliked since Chapman has now been in business about 10 years. Everyone is certainly entitled to their opinion but I think too many people pre-judge Chapman guitars just based on their feelings about Chapman the guy. I for one am happy for any company that makes inroads in the guitar market, much better for all of us players if companies succeed rather than fail so I wish continued good luck to them.
    Here are the pics that I know you are all waiting on. :rolleyes:

GF5A.jpg GF4A.jpg GF3A.jpg GF1A.jpg GF2A.jpg

19. joebloggs

joebloggs Strat-Talker

I think you just did.....:sneaky:

20. SYCORAX

SYCORAX Strat-Talker

Agreed, the ghost fret pro is a really nice guitar. I am playing a chapman right now and the bendability of the strings on them is outstanding. That is something I forgot to mention. I remember the first time i played my cap10 blackout I did a few runs and some blues stuff and couldnt believe it. I've played a ton of reverse headstock guitars and they always seem easier to get bends on. But yeah something about those big old frets. I love them man. The neck is so perfect on the one I have. The flat, fat fretboard and frets make my hands happy.

Awesome post and super rad ghost fret pro.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.