How do you fix G string ringing?

Discussion in 'Tech-Talk' started by dscottyg, Oct 11, 2021.

1. dscottyg

dscottyg Strat-Talker

I have an American Strat with the vintage bridge and saddles. The G string gives off a ring noise after plucking it. Is it technically a buzz, but just sounds more like a ring, because it is a lighter gauge than the low E and A strings? I have noticed this with the G string on other guitars as well. The frets are level, the action is 4/64 (normal), and the relief is good (about 8/1000). Has anyone experienced this? And is there something to try?
    Add on: Some people mentioned filing the nut. I think it’s not that, because when I play it open it is fine. It is only when I play from the first fret all the way up to the 18th.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2021
    Scott Baxendale and 3bolt79 like this.
  2. jball85

jball85 Strat-O-Master

A) Add more relief.
    B) make sure both saddle allen screws are making contact w/ the bridge plate.
    C) Put more wraps around the tuning peg for a steeper break angle over the nut.
    D) Check the nut slot, the height from the bottom of the string to the board, as well as the shape/seat.

3. jball85

jball85 Strat-O-Master

I recently had this problem as well with my a string. Some more relief cleared it up a bit, but I think the nut slot is actually the culprit.

But I also had this issue on a squier where one of the Allen screws was floating tiny tiny bit off of the bridge plate.

You can put your ear close to the string and strum it and listen up and down the neck all the way to the bridge to narrow down the location where the buzz is coming from

3bolt79, dscottyg and Archtops like this.
  4. marksound

marksound Strat-O-Master

Did you try changing the strings?

(Improperly cut nut slot.)

3bolt79 likes this.
  5. Intune

Intune Senior Stratmaster

Beat me to it!! One more thing is pickup height. That G string pole sometimes can cause issues if too high.

3bolt79 and dscottyg like this.
  6. dscottyg

dscottyg Strat-Talker

Great ideas and nicely laid out. Thanks.

3bolt79 likes this.
  7. Eric_G

Eric_G Strat-O-Master

Switching to boxers worked for me in the past ! :eek::D:p:whistling::whistling::whistling::whistling:

8. dscottyg

dscottyg Strat-Talker

Yes, that’s a good one to try. The pole pieces for the D and G on the Pure Vintage ‘59 pups do seem kind of high compared to the others.

3bolt79 likes this.
  9. dscottyg

dscottyg Strat-Talker

Y
    ya. It does the same thing with the original strings, and D’Addario NYXL.

3bolt79 likes this.
  10. dscottyg

dscottyg Strat-Talker

You should’ve just filed down your bone or been less forceful.

3bolt79 likes this.
  11. StratUp

StratUp Senior Stratmaster

Is it with the open string or with any fret?

If open, it could be that the nut slot needs a little cleaning (at an angle, to make sure you get a sharp break on the front edge).

If with fretted notes, it's either hitting a fret above where it starts, or the saddle slot/groove has an issue. One test there is to raise it up a bit, and then a bit more... see if you can get the problem to stop. That will help ID it. If you can get it to stop, play with the height and fret testing - try to figure out if it's a specific fret causing the issue or the bridge.

Buzzgrowl likes this.
  12. dscottyg

dscottyg Strat-Talker

Good ideas. Thanks. It has bent saddles with no saddle slots. I wonder if that makes a difference. I just added to the original post that it’s fine open. Just happens when fretting the 1st-18th.
    3C0EAF1C-2484-4A09-9AAA-50E15219650C.jpeg

Last edited: Oct 11, 2021
    3bolt79 likes this.
  13. StratUp

StratUp Senior Stratmaster

Not the nut then... probably not the bridge. See if you can walk up the string fret by fret and check each one. See if it goes away at any fret. If it does, it's a high fret above that one. If it's still there on the top fret (21/22) then it's a bridge issue.

14. Stratoskater

Stratoskater Fuzz Meister General

Fix the nut slot. It’s common on Strats as the thicker unwound G and non angle headstock mean the nut has to be cut right and angled right. About 60% of Fender guitars I’ve owned needed the nut tweaked and about 30% of the Gibson’s did. It can happen on any guitar. @henderman has talked about this before I believe.

3bolt79 likes this.
  15. dirocyn

dirocyn Most Honored Senior Member

Try a set of strings with a wound G. An 18w will fit perfectly into a balanced set of 10s.

16. dscottyg

dscottyg Strat-Talker

I’m going to check out all the ideas people are suggesting tomorrow. Do you think it could still be the nut if it’s fine played open? It does it only when fretted at the 1st-18th frets.

17. greezy strings

greezy strings Strat-O-Master

I think when you are fretting you take the nut out of the equation. Someone here will know forsure.

18. dscottyg

dscottyg Strat-Talker

It’s still doing it. I switched the saddle from the high E string with the saddle from the G string just in case that was it, and I made sure both saddle screws are touching the bridge. The relief is at .008 at the eighth fret (with the capo on the first fret). I really don’t want more than that. I lowered the pickups all the way down to being flush with the pickguard. With my ear, I can’t tell if it’s coming from the upper fret area or the bridge. Would a bridge or saddles even do that? I don’t see how? I think it must be a high fret even though the fret rocker isn’t detecting a high fret. There are a couple places that cause an ever-so-slight rocking but no more that the frets I have on my Les Paul that have been plek’d. Do you think such a super slightly high fret would be enough to cause that ringing? It’s making me crazy.

3bolt79 likes this.
  19. Intune

Intune Senior Stratmaster

Just for fun when playing the rattling notes, squeeze the saddles together. See if that stops the noise. Also you can palm mute all the saddles springs to rule those out too.

dscottyg and 3bolt79 like this.
  20. Colnago1

Colnago1 Senior Stratmaster

It might be something loose somewhere that the frequency of that string causes to vibrate.
    I’d check all the screws, maybe even pop the guard and make sure the wires are behaving underneath and not rattling against the underside of the guard.
    Stuff the tremolo springs with rags or something to keep them from ringing as well.
    Even tuning machine nuts could cause this, the sound will travel and trick you into thinking it’s coming from somewhere else.
    It’s like that rattle in the passenger seat area of the car that is actually in the trunk.
    Good luck! Keep us in the loop.

dscottyg, greezy strings and 3bolt79 like this.