How do you guys lubricate your brass nut?

MalmsteenLover666

Strat-Talk Member
Nov 13, 2022
Duncan Donuts
Just got a YJM Strat, and I'm unsure how often I have to lubricate the nut, and with what material. Is graphite still the best option? I'm using the OEM strings and string gauge. I tried searching online, and couldn't get a direct answer.

Thanks

Believer7713

The Pink Bunnyman Frankenstein
Silver Member
Dec 27, 2016
KC
I have only tried graphite a couple of times and it was stupidly messy IME. even when mixed with petroleum jelly. I have found that the absolute best nut lube is a properly cut nut. Done right it will not need any lube. on the ones that I work on that they don't want messed with I use a tiny shot of DuPont Multi-Use lubricant on the end of a toothpick and rubbed into the slots. Multi-Use lubricant is a dry Teflon spray that uses a liquid propellant. Once it dries, it will be clear, stays slick for just about ever and will also help to keep it clean.

MalmsteenLover666

Strat-Talk Member
Nov 13, 2022
Duncan Donuts
I have only tried graphite a couple of times and it was stupidly messy IME. even when mixed with petroleum jelly. I have found that the absolute best nut lube is a properly cut nut. Done right it will not need any lube. on the ones that I work on that they don't want messed with I use a tiny shot of DuPont Multi-Use lubricant on the end of a toothpick and rubbed into the slots. Multi-Use lubricant is a dry Teflon spray that uses a liquid propellant. Once it dries, it will be clear, stays slick for just about ever and will also help to keep it clean.
The brass nut on this guitar is cut for the exact string and string gauge I'm using. So, in your opinion, I shouldn't bother with lubricant for this nut? Its my first time owning a brass nut guitar

Believer7713

The Pink Bunnyman Frankenstein
Silver Member
Dec 27, 2016
KC
The brass nut on this guitar is cut for the exact string and string gauge I'm using. So, in your opinion, I shouldn't bother with lubricant for this nut? Its my first time owning a brass nut guitar
As long as you aren't getting any tuning issues with it when you use the wangdooley then I would recommend leaving it alone.

Edit: Like @simoncroft, I have had two and never lubed them at all. Never had any issues either.

Jimbo99

Senior Stratmaster
Jun 5, 2021
Palm Coast, FL
This stuff looks like white lithium grease ? Never really used it. What I'm finding with any nut lubricants, they're really only as good as the strings for lasting anyway on a hard piece of steel. You'd be constantly applying anything unless there was some way of an automated self lubricating strip for the nut. And even that would need to be replaced as it wore out ? Remember those old 1980's Gillette twin blade razors that had the lubricating strips ? Those strips would eventually fall apart, bit the blades were dull by then.

revtime

Senior Stratmaster
Jun 17, 2014
kansas
All the important back and forth motions need lube. I use nut sauce for nuts. WD40 for lotsa things and special lube for those special moments.