How Do You Guys Sell Your Guitars?

Discussion in 'Other Guitar Discussion' started by BuckNekkid, Nov 29, 2020.

1. soulman969

soulman969 Senior Stratmaster

OK....seriously now.

If it's a reasonably popular model I will always try locally first typically listing on CL. Yeah, you'll get a few lowball offers (just say no thanks) and possibly scammer or two (easy to spot) and those you report and flag as scams.

But if your patient and not horribly overpriced you will get qualified prospects and a buyer. I rely on Reverb sold listings and pricing trends to decide on an asking price leaving a little room for honest negotiation with an honest buyer.

If it simply won't sell locally I'll list online with Reverb or Ebay. I had avoided Ebay in the past in favor of Reverb 'til they outgrew the needs of the private seller and IMHO Etsy has only made the place worse for us little guys selling our own gear.

The last few major sales I've made have been via Ebay and they were trouble free but it was also popular gear that sold for $500 or less. For pricier gear I might still opt to list on Reverb or both knowing I'll take a small hit for their fees.

The best advice I can give to anyone selling their gear is to treat it like a true business transaction in all respects. Setting hard fast rules about who you'll deal with and how will keep you from getting scammed and get stuff sold for a decent price.

Don't be afraid to walk away from a potential sale if something seems off or the buyer seems at all flaky. It's not worth the hassles and there will always be another buyer who comes along who isn't flaky and appears to be a problem child.

Good luck! :thumb:

drp146 and byron0420 like this.
  2. radd

radd Strat-O-Master

If you did not get the guitar you are selling for a great deal, even worse, you bought new, you are not going to break even selling it unless it is a sought after collector guitar.

You are going to have to be realistic in what you hope to get. Join Reverb (chances are you are a member already) so you can search and find what guitars actually sold for, not just see what they are listed at that anyone can see. That will help you set a realistic price.

Log in to Reverb, look up a specific model guitar and you should see the Reverb generic description of that model and a price spread for the value and a list of examples of what that model sold for recently.

I have sold 7 or 8 guitars in the last 9 months, all Craigslist. It is not a fun game.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2020
    rocknrollrich likes this.
  3. Bladesg

Bladesg Funk Meister Silver Member

I don't sell guitars. I'm make sure I won't before I buy.

I've tried selling unwanted pedals and other gear on scumtree but everyone wants everything for free so I don't bother. If I do, I don't respond at all to wankers who lowball.

4. Neil.C

Neil.C Most Honored Senior Member

If I were in the US like the OP I would put an ad in the sales forum here, at least you would be dealing with savvy folk with similar interests who will understand what you are selling and would hopefully be semi normal.

I sold a couple of guitars easily enough on a British guitar forum I post on.

Lone Woof likes this.
  5. Deafsoundguy

Deafsoundguy Strat-o-hackster Silver Member

I almost always use Feebay to sell stuff, it’s been good to me. Craigslist frankly scares me and I’m afraid I might go medieval on some nutcase. As far as purchases I discovered Reverb this year (never really paid attention to them in the past) and have bought 4 guitars and a few other things, Sweetwater 1 guitar and a bunch of stuff and 2 Fender ModShop guitars from Fender direct.

But this year I decided to just go the consignment route for all my guitars and sought out a local guitar shop that has a large internet presence and stores in two states. They take a huge percentage 25% but they sold the guitars and I got what I wanted. Plus they took excellent pictures- really pro. Going consignments is the safest route.

ooglybong and 3bolt79 like this.
  6. Deafsoundguy

Deafsoundguy Strat-o-hackster Silver Member

I almost always use Feebay to sell stuff, it’s been good to me. Craigslist frankly scares me and I’m afraid I might go medieval on some nutcase. As far as purchases I discovered Reverb this year (never really paid attention to them in the past) and have bought 4 guitars and a few other things, Sweetwater 1 guitar and a bunch of stuff and 2 Fender ModShop guitars from Fender direct.

But this year I decided to just go the consignment route for all my guitars and sought out a local guitar shop that has a large internet presence and stores in two states. They take a huge percentage 25% but they sold the guitars and I got what I wanted. Plus they took excellent pictures- really pro. Going consignments is the safest route.

7. Jimi Lightning

Jimi Lightning Most Honored Senior Member

If it s a Parstcaster, one piece at a a time.....:rolleyes:

Usually sell locally so no issues.
    I was going to clear out some when the Rosewood cross border restrictions hit and that narrowed my selling base to Canada. For some items that dramatically narrowed the market. I am still trying to figure out what I can list cross border that has a Rosewood fingerboard.
    For me I would list on forums I belong to, kijiji etc...

8. nifnof70

nifnof70 Strat-Talker

I've mostly used CL, used ebay twice

9. jvin248

jvin248 Senior Stratmaster

You need to drive to a music store further away that does more consignment volume. I have one an hour away that does volume, another another hour away with a grouchy owner that will sell if sold cheap, and a local one that is mostly a lesson shop with slow gear buying traffic.

As far as the prices ... don't expect to 'get your money out' or the gear will never sell. Imagine trying to sell anything else. Had you bought a $2,000 laptop three years ago, never typed on it, you'd be lucky to get $200 today.

Selling things is not a sunk-cost-price-plus endeavor. The item is only worth what the rest of the market is willing to pay. You and potential buyers will go on ebay/reverb and sort for the 'actual sold price' for your model and sort 'low to high' and see where the bottom point is generally floating and alter for comparable condition. That's the value.

The magic number seems to be right around 60% of comparable new and you'll sell your guitars fairly quickly. Pawn shops and GC pay about 60% of that ebay/reverb used price minimum they look up.

How you "don't take a bath on selling" is really down to "don't take a bath when buying" such as focus on getting used guitars that are beat up and repairing the messiness or broken bits and then selling for the market price later on.

Players telling about getting top gear for low prices or getting top price for low gear ... are just like Vegas gamblers and lottery ticket players -- you only ever hear about the winnings.

drp146 likes this.
  10. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon

I don't sell them, I only buy what I need.

radd likes this.
  11. Morf2540

Morf2540 Senior Stratmaster

Craigslist or Reverb. Reverb puts you in touch with a nationwide market of buyers, but Reverb takes a healthy commission, and packing/shipping is a big hassle. CL is easier, but you are limited to local buyers, so you may have to wait a long time. Research pricing. Most items that don't sell are overpriced. Be prepared to sell for less than you expect. Be patient. Basically, the more hassle you are willing to endure, the more you are likely to get. Hassle = money.

macoshark likes this.
  12. John Backlund

John Backlund Strat-Talker Gold Supporting Member

I'm going to be putting about a dozen guitars up for sale this week, over half of them are Eastwood 'Backlunds' from my little collection. They'll be on Reverb and eBay by Friday, and some on the TDPRI classifieds Tuesday.

Over the years, I've sold most of my guitars on eBay, and although it's a bit of a pain in the butt dealing with shipping, I've never had any serious problems with either shipping or jerk buyers.

I've never sold a guitar on CL, I need a broad potential market for guitars, and CL just doesn't work well for me. Also, the hoard of scammers on CL makes it a frustrating experience in any case.

I do, however, have several guitars that are too inexpensive to be worth spending a lot on shipping, and I might try to sell them on the local CL. One is a 60's Teisco 'tulip', and the other is a very 'newish' Grote hollowbody.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2020
    Thrup'ny Bit likes this.
  13. Stormy Monday

Stormy Monday Blooze daddy Silver Member

I've sold on Craigslist and mostly by word of mouth.

14. KoreGeneral

KoreGeneral Strat-Talker

Craigslist, facebook marketplace and reverb
    If you're planning to sell it in a couple of months, list it from now. The most annoying thing is the lowballers and the "trade people" and scammers...

15. CollinBass

CollinBass New Member!

I have sold effect pedals and straps on reverb, Kijiji, marketplace... But for guitars, I've only ever sold them on marketplace or Kijiji. I just don't want to deal with the shipping!

For what it's worth, I always found Kijiji better to find and purchase things, and marketplace, for me, usually is better for selling things. Doesn't sound like you should make sense but that's how it's been working out.

16. macoshark

macoshark Senior Stratmaster

17. Scott Baxendale

Scott Baxendale Strat-O-Master Gold Supporting Member

I sell a lot of guitars on Instagram

18. steve1961

steve1961 Strat-Talk Member

There a lot of guitars on local Facebook selling pages and FB market place. You can always use Ebay . I only use it when there is £1 selling fee..... not the usual 10%, but you must me prepared to post if you want a decent price and if there is not a case then I like to take the neck off.

19. Floridave

Floridave New Member!

I’ve sold on both eBay and reverb and never had a serious problem but it’s stressful shipping anything nice. And all the fees now add up to a big chunk of the selling price.
    I had one buyer on reverb decide he didn’t want an amp after he received it, which was a pain getting it back, refunding, then reselling but that’s been my worst experience.
    Kind of in the same boat as you about to get rid of some old peavey amps, other amps and guitar stuff, think I’m going to go the Craigslist/Facebook marketplace route this time.

20. Brian Krashpad

Brian Krashpad Strat-Talker

These 2 for me. Craigslist and fb marketplace. Which is also how I buy almost all my gear as well. Has been pretty hassle-free. Although I haven't bought a guitar in over 3 years (which may be a record going back to the early/mid 90's, for me), I've bought and sold some amps in that time with no real probs.

Recently got a great deal on a Marshall combo (DSL 40C w/Creamback 75 upgrade), and sold one of my '80s Marshall solid state combos to partially offset the outgoing price. I think I turned around that amp within 10 days of buying the newer one.

In my case, it probably helps that I live in a college town with a great original music scene.

drp146 likes this.