How do you test your guitars?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by thegrasshopper, Oct 11, 2021.

1. bigreen505

bigreen505 Strat-Talk Member

Pretty much this. I will add ...
    4) Is the intonation good, and if not, can it be set up to play in tune? Not all guitars can.
    5) How does it look? There are some guitars that are either just not to my liking or not the look I want for the purpose. I'm not going to buy a neon pink, double locking, Floyd Rose shred metal axe to play jazz on, even if it is the best sounding jazz guitar there ever was. That said, I would absolutely rock a jazz guitar for metal.

2. Ebidis

Ebidis Providing the world with flat bends since 1985

I know. Pretty revolutionary right? :D

Thrup'ny Bit likes this.
  3. heltershelton

heltershelton Vivamus libero Vivamus duris

i start by setting them far enough apart to where they cant cheat off each other.
    then ill tell them to use the bathroom now because once the test starts theres no getting up until its done.
    then ill pass out the test and say "begin".

4. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon

Yes it is. The norm is to strip it into component parts post photos here and question every little detail, ad nauseum. o_O

Last edited: Oct 12, 2021
    WightTrashMan, nutball73 and Ebidis like this.
  5. Chipss36

Chipss36 Strat-O-Master

I use a set list backing track.

I also use AmpliTube for this.

I have many tube amps but AmpliTube is set exactly the same every time, perfect recall and repeatability, my tube amps get set differently every time I use them.

Seems to work well, still a band setting tells the real story.

thegrasshopper likes this.
  6. MT Poteet

MT Poteet Strat-Talk Member

I usually play them for a great deal of time without an amp.
    If it doesn't feel good in my hands, forget it,
    I recently set up a Strat for a friend, went through the entire guitar.
    When I was done I wasn't impressed, after a couple of hours, I came to really like it.
    After that, it's just dialing it in on your equipment.

7. Electgumbo

Electgumbo Not Of This Earth

It don’t matter… they all sound the same when I play them. When the people is jamming no body stops and tells me “I hear how your notes bloom and the high end attack at the front of your notes is lovely.” …. I’m not a lab rat… I’m a house rocker!

8. nosmo

nosmo Strat-O-Master

I give it the credit card test. If it's under $100 it's good enough for me.

Ebidis likes this.
  9. budglo

budglo Strat-Talker

At rehearsal and again when playing live .

10. dscottyg

dscottyg Strat-Talker

First it’s gotta have some meaning. Some reference that makes me feel good having it, like a Vintage’52 Tele or 60s Strat that reminds me of the one David Byrne played. Then it has to be pricy enough to know it’s good quality. Then feel good and not have buzzing with a good set up.

11. GeetarPwayer

GeetarPwayer Strat-Talk Member

I'm definitely more of a player than I am a tech or gear guy so I personally try not to overthink that end too much. However with that being said I have clear memories of my father and his band often using the term "atmospheric conditions" referring to why instruments sounded different from place to place. They always laughed abit about it but I now know there was truth in that. So I test my guitars through my go to rig at my own place and make adjustments as needed wherever I may be.

12. Cyberi4n

Cyberi4n Strat-O-Master

Under exam conditions usually. No mobile phones books or calculators. And if it has the answers srcibbled on the back of its headstock or under its scratchplate then it's immediately disqualified. Under a strict 2hour timelimit too! With an OFSTED approved invigilator

Tremoluxer likes this.
  13. thegrasshopper

thegrasshopper Strat-Talker

That makes a lot of sense, sure. I'm perhaps being too "techy", despite the fact I am not technicaly qualified... I know the nuances I get in the studio might be lost on stage, and why not, some others might appear... anyway, after years playing live, now the studio is my "atmosphere". Thx for your reply!

GeetarPwayer likes this.
  14. thegrasshopper

The examns I took which having books was allowed for... were by far the most dificult ones...

15. Hanson

Hanson Senior Stratmaster

I test how they sound with my ears. I test how they play with my hands.

Tremoluxer, Cyberi4n and StratUp like this.
  16. greezy strings

greezy strings Strat-O-Master

I usually play them unplugged 1st... feel it out... then plug it in.. electronics... pups.. pedals .. amps can be changed..

17. Cyberi4n

Cyberi4n Strat-O-Master

I think this is probably the best answer on here. Some incredible music has been made on some pretty beat-up instruments that the user has just bonded with, without the need for some fancy tests involving a studio, some expensive amps, and a sound engineer.

JonnyBGood likes this.
  18. chas3rd

chas3rd Strat-Talker Gold Supporting Member Silver Member

I closely research and study all the specs for weeks and then I say “I’ll take the green one.”

19. bad player

bad player Strat-Talk Member

I'm just a player, maybe with a good ear, don't know. My test is very short but accurate: I play the guitar unplugged for 5 minutes. Every string, every fret individually. Then I compare the 12th fret harmonic sound to the sound when string is pressed and played. Is it out of tune and how much? Any bad sounding spots lead to optical testing, is the neck straight, are the strings too low, does the string sound like it does not fit to the saddle well enough (happens with the low E string very often). If it sounds good acoustically it will most probably sound good when amplified.

So, then I test the electronics. All 15 that I've bought recently have passed the test and have been good instruments. The only one I did not like in the long run was a custom shop 1960 Strat that did not sound through different amps its price tag, so I sold it for under its market price. Even the dirty used Squier Tele Deluxe that I bought for 200 has been a good instrument. So, my advice is: Play t, feel it, hear it.

thegrasshopper likes this.
  20. thegrasshopper

Have you ever tried the other way around?

chas3rd likes this.