How do you use Rocksmith?

Discussion in 'Tab & Music Forum' started by Richard McKay, Jan 22, 2021.

1. Richard McKay

Richard McKay Strat-Talk Member

I played a lot of Rocksmith when it first came out to learn a repertoire of songs for my cover band. It cut the learning time way down and was very addictive (in a good way).

I miss playing with a band so much, I recently got back into Rocksmith again. I've sorted all the songs by proficiency (mastery?) and play the worst ones in order. This really points out the things I CAN'T do and forces me to work on them. I now have everything up over 25% minimum even though I'm getting sick of the YES songs (Ha!).

Also, I got a bass over the holidays and have been using Rocksmith to bring me up to proficiency quickly using the same method. I never played bass before and really like the results so far.

How do you use Rocksmith?

2. s5tuart

s5tuart Perfecting time travel since 2525

I don't! I did try it but found the concept too challenging to master. :thumbd:

3. thxphotog

thxphotog Strat-Talker

I mostly use Riff Repeater function. That said I used the whole platform religiously when it came out in 2012. I pulled way back a few years ago but still pop it in every now and then to refresh my memory or learn a new song. In fact in the last week I put it on to see Refugee and Santana's Smooth. You can take the quicker way and see them on Youtube but Riff Repeater is phenomenal from practicing solos. Also a lot of fun to go into Tone Designer and create crazy pedal boards and crank it through the home theater.

Lewbypls likes this.
  4. jayoldschool

jayoldschool Mod Admin Staff Member

Admin Post
    I put it on Master mode, set it to max difficulty, and get my rock on. I try and get my percentage as high as possible.

Lewbypls likes this.
  5. Richard McKay

Richard McKay Strat-Talk Member

I think the riff repeater is brilliant. The musicians at Rocksmith do(did) a REALLY good job of tracking the actual notes played which is a huge benefit over Youtube or online TAB sites. Rush songs in particular are great in riff repeater.

It has a hard time translating some concepts like arpeggios into something I can follow while playing. Also, when you are in a non-standard tuning it gives you the real chord names. I'd like an option of setting, for example the Ab to A since even though I know it's Ab, my brain has an easier time with thinking A. My problem, not theirs.

Sadly, I don't think there will be anymore new DownLoadableContent so the game is sort of capped. Not sure if they'll revive it. Anyone have any insite?

Lewbypls likes this.
  6. jayoldschool

jayoldschool Mod Admin Staff Member

Admin Post
    They have a new project underway, but there have been no announcements about what it is.

As for new content... install it on a PC, and you can find all the new content you'd ever want ;-)

Lewbypls likes this.
  7. heltershelton

heltershelton BANNED Silver Member

heres how i use rocksmith....

i pick it up and throw it in the trash.