How does it work wired this way?

Fenderbaum

Senior Stratmaster
Aug 11, 2020
Bergen, Norway
Got a job to make a new reversed controlplate wiring for a Japan Tele. It had scratchy noise on both pots that was mini than mini cheap pots and switch.
It Had a P90 in the neck with Gibson Braided wire.. When i took off the plate to reveal the wiring, i noticed something weird.
The Ground (braid) was wired to switch and the HOT was wired to the Volume casing (Ground)
When i tested it, it had sound and everything on the P90..
How can the pickup still give signal wired this way.
Screenshot 2022-07-29 at 17.42.39.png

When i put the new wiring on, i wired it proper. Braid to pot and Hot to Switch. Still have sound.

2022-07-28 16.22.20.jpg
Did come out cool.. Black Witch hat knobs and reversed angled switch.

Fenderbaum

Senior Stratmaster
Aug 11, 2020
Bergen, Norway
Take any single coil pickup and reverse the wires...for a Fender Strat for example wire all the blacks to the switch and whites to ground. It'll still work. Mixing could lead to phase issues.
Hey, yeap. Electronics is not my forte, but i do know how to solder. I should study more :)
I remember i ordered a pickup from, and asked Don Mare if my neck pickup was ready to pair with his Haywire Bridge. He just said to flip the wires to keep them in phase and i was good to go.

Now for this one, i flipped the wires when i soldered together this harness again thinking i corrected an error, but for sure, did not felt right when i plugged it in to test it.
The middle position with both pickups sounded thinny and nasal + the volume was low. Then i thought of what Don said.. Flip the wires. So i flipped it back like it was on the old wiring and all was back to normal and sounded right.
At first i flipped the bridge, but that led to a horrible noise and i remember, Bridge was now without ground, or grounded to hot because black is attached to the copper plate.
Electronicsm how it works is math to me.. but i learn every day.