How does your dog feel about your guitar playing?

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by Silverman, Nov 19, 2020.

1. BloodyFingers

BloodyFingers New Member!

My dog, Eddie, loved joining in so much that we wrote a song together a couple of years ago:

He's 18 now and doesn't have the energy to join in any more but he still sits by my feet while I'm playing.

2. SatinNeck81

SatinNeck81 Strat-Talk Member

He loves it unless I turn up the dirt immediately and wake him up.

3. Boubou

Boubou Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

She starts howling if i play loud and fast on the electric, everyone is a critic

4. Mannie

Mannie Strat-Talk Member

My dog is cool until I plug in. I don’t know if his howls are from pain or if he is trying to sing with me.

5. tfm3

tfm3 New Member!

Best thread ever. I over accentuated the low end with my amps and speakers. Sometimes my dog disappears for days. Under our bed.

Pawz likes this.
  6. Shoegoo

Shoegoo Strat-O-Master Silver Member

My bird will bob her head if I face her when playing. Of course I encourage it. Don't know what happens when I turn my back to her.

Pawz and Chuck8436 like this.
  7. bigjimmy

bigjimmy Strat-Talk Member

Darcy is definitely my biggest fan. She will sit on the couch right next to my amp, curled up, and hang no matter what kind of music I play. I think she really enjoys it. She is a true friend, although the poor thing is now pretty much deaf.

Pawz likes this.
  8. ezra1

ezra1 Strat-Talk Member

I had one Lab that freaked out when we played and her sister loved it.
    My Dogo likes it too.

9. Pawz

Pawz Strat-Talk Member

Our ten year old terrier has always loved music - the louder, the better (within reason). When my son is playing, she heads out to his room and plants her butt up against his Fender 2x15 cab for a free massage. (Before anyone accuses us of animal abuse, I should add that he uses an attenuator to keep the levels listenable.) She always comes in to my room when I’m playing as well, and lays next to my chair, which just proves that she likes all music, and has a high tolerance for poor playing.

10. replicnt6

replicnt6 New Member!

This thread is great.

I was learning drumming when we got a new dog. He objects very strongly to any drumming of any sort. Barks like a lunatic. Can't even hit a practice pad. Packed up my electronic drum set and went back to focusing on the guitar. Guitar, amplified or not, doesn't seem to bother him.

Pawz likes this.
  11. FretNinja

FretNinja Strat-Talk Member

Funny you mention the high note bends. I was playing guitar one day and it was the first time my dog really stuck around while I played. He calmly walked over and sat down a few feet away and when I started to get up to some high note runs he would start to howl in tune with my bends. Literally singing with the guitar. I wasn't trying to get him to do it at all he just started singing on his own. I was so stoked I even recorded a video of him haha. He's such a cool dog.

Pawz and jrbirdman like this.
  12. Wayne Adams

Wayne Adams Strat-Talk Member

No dog, but my cat looks at me like "What the HELL are you doing??" That's assuming he doesn't just hijack my lap and block the guitar so I can't play, which is his usual move... On the other hand, one of the guys in a band I played with years ago owned a German Shepherd that would sit outside our practice building and try to "sing" along with us. Or at least, that's what we thought he was doing - he may have just been protesting. :rolleyes:

Pawz likes this.
  13. CAR63

CAR63 Strat-Talker

Yeah , my dog likes to sing along too . Wait , maybe that's howling ?!? :(

Bill Sheehan likes this.
  14. CAR63

CAR63 Strat-Talker

Maybe they were waiting for you to do the Chuck Berry duckwalk !!

15. CAR63

CAR63 Strat-Talker

Ah ! See above !!

Pawz likes this.
  16. HighwayStar106

HighwayStar106 Senior Stratmaster

No dog here, but I do have a cat who always looks vaguely interested when I'm doing any guitar modding, or when I bring a new guitar home. He has seemingly no interest in the actual music though, but I suspect that would change if he found out how warm valve amps get. :D

Pawz likes this.
  17. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon

If you ever hear a beagle sing, you'll know...

Pawz and Hairy Bear like this.
  18. keys88

keys88 Strat-Talk Member

My dogs aren't allowed in my music room. But they absolutely HATE it when my daughters practice their band instruments for school. My youngest plays percussion which includes the bells (it's like a xylophone on a stand). It drives them nuts. And when my oldest practices her flute they run around barking like the house is on fire, lol.

Pawz likes this.
  19. BluesForDan

BluesForDan Strat-Talker

I've had cats that as soon as they heard a case latch unsnapping, fled the room. Then there was Binx, who used to come running when she heard me. She particularly liked my '62 Tweed Champ, in spite of getting zapped one wicked cold dry winter day by static electricity.

Toby will come up to me while I'm playing and put his paws on my arm, looking for attention. I play unplugged electric these days, or I'm using the audio interface into headphones. There has been no amp play since January when we packed to move, and none in this apartment with its ridiculously thin walls.

Pawz likes this.
  20. Hairy Bear

Hairy Bear Strat-O-Master Silver Member

My cocker has become more tolerant over the years. He used to hide in his crate as soon as I picked up any guitar but the acoustic, which he sang along to. Now he just lies in his bed and gives me the occasional dirty look. One thing that hasn't changed is his reaction to the banjo: as soon as it's out of the case he's pawing at the door to go outside and tell the neighbours all about it.

Pawz and Thrup'ny Bit like this.