How Good Are You?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by stratfanGB, Jun 15, 2020.

1. Tone Quest

Tone Quest Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

My story, the short version. Been playing 52 years. In and out of bands, playing just for fun. The last 20 years playing in worship bands at church. Loved doing that. I also have a Champion 40 amp, but changed the speaker to an Eminence Legend. Great sound to my ears. How good am I? Better than some, not as good as others, I play for the enjoyment of doing it. Would I quit my day job to focus more on my guitar? Wait, I did, I'm retired!:)

Andrew Wasson and Randy_Lahey like this.
  2. gofmusic

gofmusic Senior Stratmaster

My dad to this day hahaha

Me:
    IMG_20200617_103042.jpg

3. BallisticSquid

BallisticSquid Most Honored Senior Member

Same could be said for golfers or even car enthusiasts. Are they competing professionally? Then why do they need that titanium club? :p

If you can afford it, why not? Life is short...get some joy from it.

4. gofmusic

gofmusic Senior Stratmaster

Amen to that :p

Dad doesnt golf, or have a boat or expensive cars, but hes one of those who rebuild their house every other day just because... so hes not very good at making sense either hahah

5. amstratnut

amstratnut Peace thru Music.

Its a tough question. There are kids on youtube that can play circles around me. However, on a good day I can say what Im trying to say, and to me that is very important.

Its important to have something to say and to be able to say it.

Andrew Wasson, nigelr, dbolt and 2 others like this.
  6. Cesspit

Cesspit Strat-O-Master

To those who cannot play I am amazing.

To those who can, I'm pretty good.

To those who we look to for inspiration, I am ok...ish.

I'm playing the best guitar I have ever played, more tasteful and melodic than I can remember, yet it is nowhere near good enough. I frustrate myself constantly yet I'm driven to push on.
    It is the most frustrating yet brilliant thing.
    Go figure that one out.......

7. TimTheViking

TimTheViking Strat-Talker

deleted

Last edited: Jun 17, 2020
  8. BallisticSquid

BallisticSquid Most Honored Senior Member

I've learned to tune the prodigies on youtube out. They are not me and likely don't have the same life situation as I do. I do appreciate what they can do though.

I agree that it's important to have something to say on the instrument and some ability to say it. It's an great experience when the ideas flow easily.

stevierayfan91 likes this.
  9. Randy_Lahey

Randy_Lahey Strat-Talker

I’m new and I’m terrible. Oh well, its not gonna stop me!

10. jtoomuch

jtoomuch Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

I'm really really really good. No, not really. Not very good. Trying to get better and I love to play. I am always playing alone now and not really improving. I will work on that with YouTube and the Looper I have coming in my new amp. I think I was better 40 years ago.

11. fretWalkr

fretWalkr Strat-Talker

I saw a T-shirt that said "World's OK-est Guitar Player"

I'll go with that.

Randy_Lahey likes this.
  12. TepidPilot

TepidPilot Strat-O-Master

Back in the day the girls used to tell me "you're the best!" Maybe so, but sadly I'm still not very good at guitar.

TP

13. Odysseus

Odysseus Strat-O-Master

Hard to say, really. Not as good as I'd like to be, that's for sure. People who don't play an instrument seem to be impressed, but I'd say that other guitar players who've been around the block a bit reckon I'm ok, nothing more. And people who have had a formal music education would probably be pretty disappointed.

I spent a long time just playing acoustic, and have played only acoustic during lockdown, so I'm a reasonable enough finger-picker. On electric, I'm maybe a reasonable soloist, but don't have the discipline to be anything better than a mediocre rhythm player, but I've always been in bands where I've been the only guitarist, so if you want me in your band you get the rough with the smooth!

The worst thing is that I have a limited understanding of theory, and after 40+ years of playing I know how much of a shortcoming that is.

Probably the best things about my playing are that I can write a reasonable enough song for my own voice (and it helps that I love singing), and I've learned to play to my strengths - I'm not a fast guitarist, for example (and I'm not interested in being one), but I try to express my feelings and the feel of the song I'm playing. A singer in a band I was in once told me that I literally gave her shivers down the spine when I used to play one particular solo, which was the best compliment I could ever imagine. Then again she might have meant that she was getting the cold sweats and was about to throw up - I thought it best not to ask. ;)

14. nigelr

nigelr Senior Stratmaster

I would like to be better and my aim is to be better tomorrow than I was today, rinse and repeat. People locally say I'm good and a lot of local musicians want to play with me, ask me to fill in for their band mates etc, so I guess I'm doing ok.

I'm probably much slower than I was 30 years ago, but my note selection is much better.

There are many, many players much better than me, that's for sure, but if you can express yourself then you're doing ok in my book.

15. Andrew Wasson

Andrew Wasson Senior Stratmaster

I don’t play guitar because I’m good at it. I play guitar because I love it!

duzie and Bob the builder like this.
  16. StratSounds

StratSounds Senior Stratmaster

That’s a pretty easy one to figure out man. Something tells me that is a very common sentiment among multitudes of guitarists. VERY common.

How good am I? Good enough at this point to have a whole lotta fun, be it alone, or playing with friends, and that is all I need.

Andrew Wasson likes this.
  17. Bob the builder

Bob the builder Most Honored Senior Member

Better than when I started but nowhere near where I wanna get

18. BuddhaFingas

BuddhaFingas Strat-O-Master Gold Supporting Member

I am yet but an egg...

But it's only been 2 1/2 years. Got time yet.

Andrew Wasson likes this.
  19. Stratbats

Stratbats Senior Stratmaster

Yes... People who know nothing about music think I'm pretty good.

But I know the truth...