How good/bad are your ears?

Ebidis

Providing the world with flat bends since 1985
Nov 14, 2013
Alabama
I could hear everything above 100hz, but above 10k it was difficult.

However, I don't know how much of that may be due to my laptop speakers, and how much is my ears.

ThebiggestJerk

Senior Stratmaster
Aug 26, 2018
Home
12800hz for me. It would probably be higher but 40+ years of loud guitars and rock & roll will get ya’ some hearing loss.

Last edited:

StratUp

Most Honored Senior Member
Sep 5, 2020
Altered States
I got an app for my phone to do the same. That let me try it with headphones. I got to about 13K. Above that, I didn't get anything, but I can't be sure it's not just the headphones (and buds) that I tried, despite their claim of 20K upper limit.

4wotitswurth

Strat-Talker
Oct 31, 2020
Texas
6k, not surprising. Tested once for work related posting, the lab tester thought her equipment had failed. It came from working long hours offshore situated right under a diesel onan generator, 5ft above my head….

Eric_G

Senior Stratmaster
Jan 10, 2021
Quebec
Started earring easily in the 20s hz all the way up to the 15Kh…

But that’s with a set if iPod on !

crankmeister

Most Honored Senior Member
Jul 9, 2020
Republic of Gilead
12800hz for me. It would probably be higher but 40+ years of loud guitars and rock & roll will get ya’ some hearing loss.
I got about the same. Heard all the lows, but missed the highest, made no difference between headphones and iPhone. Hurt my ears, too, I had to turn it all the way down from around 700 Hz on.

All I can hope for is that my hearing loss is an impermanent state caused by my recent history of ear problems from constant post-nasal congestion from being allergic to pretty much everything in my environment.

ThebiggestJerk

Senior Stratmaster
Aug 26, 2018
Home
I got about the same. Heard all the lows, but missed the highest, made no difference between headphones and iPhone. Hurt my ears, too, I had to turn it all the way down from around 700 Hz on.

All I can hope for is that my hearing loss is an impermanent state caused by my recent history of ear problems from constant post-nasal congestion from being allergic to pretty much everything in my environment.
I’m right there with you!

nosmo

Senior Stratmaster
Gold Supporting Member
Dec 13, 2020
Amber
Tinnitus drowns out a LOT of stuff. WWWWOOOOOOOOOEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Hal Nico

Senior Stratmaster
Apr 28, 2012
JAMOADR
Around once a month I use ear-wax softener and run warm water into my ears to keep them clean. I've done this for years ever since having my ears professionally syringed.

I use this extensive online test to keep track of my hearing loss/change as all humans lose the ability to hear higher frequencies as we age and at different volumes. I do this so I try not to over or under compensate when recording.

HTH :)

somebodyelesuk

Strat-Talker
Jan 29, 2022
Birmingham UK
I'm on a laptop, so the test is irrelevant to me - don't assume your speakers are up to the test. However, when I had cancer a few years back, I had to have my hearing tested before and after chemo. 'Excellent for my age' was the medic's opinion. I can live with that.
FWIW, the guy who mixed Dark Side Of The Moon said recently that he can't hear above about 10k, these days...