How heavy is too heavy?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Mackeroni, Apr 12, 2021.

1. sonny wolf

sonny wolf Most Honored Senior Member

I prefer my Fenders to not exceed 8LBS although I could go slightly over if it is a great guitar regardless.My cut-off point for a Les Paul is 9LBS.Some of those 12LB guitars of the 1970s were ridiculous!!

Tguitarfloyd likes this.
  2. GuitarGeni

GuitarGeni Strat-Talk Member

It's funny that people always talk about the weight of Les Pauls and rarely about Teles and Strats as if none of them are heavy, not true! I remember picking up a Tele that was like a boat anchor. I have no idea how much it weighed, but too much was my assessment.

I personally don't like to go over 7.5lbs. The lighter the better.

jayaitch likes this.
  3. WilseyFanPDX

WilseyFanPDX Strat-Talker

I put together a partscaster with a Guitar Mill Swamp Ash body and nitro finish. whole guitar comes in at 7lbs. Perfect. There a guy on Reverb who's sells 'em named "Bloom Doom". He does great work. Run about $350. Its the one on the right:
    [​IMG]

vb14086 and Cali Dude like this.
  4. Trey Pfeifer

Trey Pfeifer New Member!

5. hogdog

hogdog Strat-Talk Member

Too heavy is subjective, it depends what you can personally tolerate. I have back issues so lighter is always better.

Also, at least on average, lighter guitars tend to sound better and be more resonant.

My main strat is 6lbs 7.8oz, that’s about as good as it gets imo, my heaviest is an 80’s mij that weighs in just under 8lbs, and in my opinion that’s pushing it for a strat, but my main les paul is 9lbs 7oz, and that, while it doesn’t feel ideal it does feel appropriate.

tldr: the ideal weight for a strat is 6lb 7.8oz

Tguitarfloyd likes this.
  6. Ansare

Ansare New Member!

I'm 73 now, been playing since I was 10. PLEASE, future me's, pay attention to weight. I have neck and shoulder issues which keep me from playing as much as I like. I can get maybe 45-60 minutes in but I'll be in pain when I'm done--and that's playing SITTING DOWN. Yup, sitting down.

In fairness, I'll say I lifted heavy weights for 25 years. Lots of squats/deadlifts/etc. No doubt in my life my severe arthritis issues were partially caused by that. In my next life I'm going with yoga and pilates, and I'm not even kidding.

Please be kinder to your body when you're young. It's not fun at all when you get old.

Edited to add: I should have mentioned that at the age of 20 I switched from a strat to a large Gibson Archtop (Johnny Smith), and that was my main guitar for 10 years or so.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2021
    vb14086, Ruscio, diogoguitar and 2 others like this.
  7. turfdoc

turfdoc Strat-Talk Member

87 am std/alder 7lb4oz. Rings like a bell.

8. Fisch

Fisch Strat-Talk Member

Lately I've been thinking about this as I usually chase as close to 7lbs as I can, BUT, I'd say 98% of the time I am sitting and playing with the guitar on my leg. There is something about a hefty WELL BALANCED guitar- while in the seated position- that feels great. Solid. Anchored. Awesome. Maybe even more enjoyable than my featherweights.

Standing with a strap is another story!

Ruscio likes this.
  9. SatinNeck81

SatinNeck81 Strat-Talker

Dude my Epiphone Les Paul from 96' is like a brick house. Weighs 9-10 lbs. So any strat feels like a featherweight compared to that thing.

10. Slartybartfast

Slartybartfast Strat-Talker

I wish I knew how much my 71 LP Deluxe weighs. It's a friggin' bear. It's been too much lately, really. Although pre-covid it was my go-to gig guitar. Now I instinctually reach for my two strats (a little heavy-ish) or S.G. Junior, which practically floats, are my main guitars.

11. BigDan

BigDan Strat-Talker

I have 2 ash strats that both come in around 9lbs. I don't know for sure I have never weighed them but I have a 11 LP that is about the same but feels heavier and very awkward when sitting. It wants to drop off your lap and hit you between the eye's and it will if not careful.
    Sitting is something I have to do sometimes because of back issues so I built a partsacaster in early 90's using spruce for the body. I would have used balsa but it had no grain and I didn't want to paint but stain. I played some really heavy 50's LP's some had to be 11 or 12 most 10 at least.
    I would have to pass on anything over 9 these days. I do think heavier older guitars sound better.

12. 98bigapple

98bigapple Strat-Talker

My heaviest is a 1977 Gibson RD artist. About ten lbs. Have not played it for a while but it's heavy.

13. Stevn

Stevn Senior Stratmaster

That technique made my slide guitar more sonorus and much lighter. It is a slab of solid Queensland Maple with blackwood vernier.
    024EAABA-0343-45AC-B2A6-1161AA7509D8.jpeg FB7D757A-9203-408E-B248-F93E0ED70D70.jpeg AE2657F8-5488-4C38-BDA4-1B3EC53343F4.jpeg

Scott Baxendale and Cali Dude like this.
  14. Geddon

Geddon Strat-Talk Member

I thought I didn’t care that much but a while back I decided to put together two simple strats. I used the bullet ht models and converted to string through and swapped in mim necks, custom 1 pickup guard and I put a hole in them to make it easy to swap pickups from the back and wired connectors. One has a single coil in the neck, the other a humbucker in the bridge. I cover the back with a plastic plate. Anyway these are now the two guitars I find myself picking up the most often. I like the simplicity of one pickup and two knobs and I like how the bodies are a little thinner and overall weight is really low on them. It’s usually just exactly what I want to play and I can tweak more on the amp/effect/mixer processing side rather than having a bunch of pickups and tone knobs on the guitar. So I think it is important as far as I just end up picking up and playing more than I think I would if I didn’t have these two light strats. I have a ton of guitars, les pauls, a USA prs, a few heavy strats, some teles, and these light strats get most of my attention.

15. Scott Baxendale

Scott Baxendale Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

Too heavy is when your neck or back hurts after a 3 or 4 hour gig.

Tguitarfloyd likes this.
  16. StratBratUK

StratBratUK Strat-Talk Member

My Gibson SG special is just under 6lbs, can hardly tell I'm wearing it sometimes... then I put on my Squier CV50s tele weighing in at just over 10lbs and its a whole different story. A wide strap with a shoulder pad really helps.

17. buzzword

buzzword Strat-Talk Member Silver Member

I play a hardtail swampash Warmoth chambered strat with a Fender channel bound neck which I put together and had professionally set up (I can setup but draw the line at filing a nut on a brand new neck) It weighs 6lb 7oz, plays like butter and is unequivocally the best guitar I've ever owned.

I will never go back to any full weight body. Ever. Ever. In case I'm not being clear, *ever*.

Tguitarfloyd likes this.
  18. coolrene

coolrene Strat-Talk Member

Over 8,25 lbs for a Strat is too heavy for me...

19. DBDM

DBDM Strat-Talk Member

(Full Disclosure before typing my answer--I am 6'6" and weigh 230. Also I have played mostly Gibsons during my playing life)

Balance of the guitar is more important to me than the weight. I have played 7 lb guitars that I fought all night that wore me out, and heavier balanced guitars that did not. For me, I start to notice (minus the balance issue) when they weigh more that 10 lbs. The truth is there are quite few guitars that weigh more than 10 lbs. I know they exist and have held and played a few but vastly most Gibsons do not, and very very few Fenders.

20. pmoore

pmoore Strat-Talker

I have a 86 telecaster avri that is over 9 pounds. It's a little bit heavy compared to my strat 7 and change