How heavy is too heavy?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Mackeroni, Apr 12, 2021.

1. metrokosmiko

metrokosmiko Strat-Talker

I think 8 pounds is reasonable for any Fender. Any lower it's a win but 8 isn't a dealbreaker.

My Fenders, from lightest to heaviest:

2015 MIM Strat - dead 8 or 7.something I bet
    2019 American Professional HSS - must be 8ish. Currently own this.
    2017 Nashville Deluxe Telecaster - this must've been around 9 pounds.

2. dirocyn

dirocyn Most Honored Senior Member

When I was in 10th grade I thought one of the tubas was too heavy. I never put it on a scale, but I figure probably between 35 & 45 lbs. I had bruises on my shoulder (from the strap) the whole time I played it, I got to move to a different one after the strap ring broke (which was because of the excessive weight). It had a case, I ripped the handle off the case trying to carry it--had to have 2 people to carry it after that. The sousaphone that replaced it was much lighter, maybe as little as 20 lbs.

My P-Bass weighs 9.7 lbs. That's fine. I've played heavier basses and would do again. I'm healthy and my back is fine. If it's under 10 lbs weight is secondary to how it sounds and feels. And if somebody wanted to gift me a guitar, I wouldn't turn it away because of the weight--whatever the weight. But I can't see choosing and paying money for a 20lb guitar.

Namelyguitar likes this.
  3. Moleman

Moleman New Member!

My 1983 SQ Squier Strat weighs 9.5lbs FWIW. The 2020 MIJ Black Paisley Strats I got are roughly 7.5lbs. My 1999 Am. Standard Strat is 8lbs. I like heavier personally, but have a 1997 Gibson SG-1 "All-American" that weighs 4.5lbs that I bought from an older guy who was into light guitars and sold the SG-1 because it was too heavy (!). One of the best Strats I ever had was a MIC Squier, flame maple neck, weighed under 7lbs and my hands felt like I was 7 feet tall playing it. I hope you find what you're looking for.

4. beeflin

beeflin Strat-Talk Member

My 10lb Eccleshall Scimitar takes a heave to pick up, but as soon as it's on the strap it's fine.

5. Ansilgregory

Ansilgregory New Member!

Have you ever thought about just getting a better strap. I've been using dimarzio straps for years. I love the interface. I bought a bass and it came with his really last double wide padded better than average strap. Add more features than my dimarzio strap. But didn't have the click locks. So basically I just come a good this thing in ram my dimarzio strap through it. Never been happier. But yeah anything over 10 pounds for me that is a left Paul on pretty much going to be using setting down. But I've got a host of injuries. Bottom also 6'3" an 350.

Before I hurt my back even into my mid 20 's nothing was really too heavy until I put on the 18 pound carvin double neck. I drew a hard F U at that. The thing with such a beast but sounded so good I almost Balt. A carvin body and was going to saw the thing in half. Luckily my buddy bought it from me. However he couldn't even strap it on he all of 5' 5 and about a 115 pounds

6. tball

tball New Member!

Sweetwater lists the weights of the strats it has in stock, so search for what you want and then pick one with either a serial number, "Compare Both" or "Choose your favorite" button. A check of Fender Player strats had two under 8 pounds, and one under 7!

Esg877 likes this.
  7. Whitebeard

Whitebeard Strat-Talk Member

This is an excellent example of the "difference" between a solid vs chambered body Tele. Everything about both guitars is identical except one has a solid body and the other is chambered. He plays samples on both guitars of multiple musical styles and doesn't divulge which has the solid body and which is chambered until the end. - Solid vs Chambered Electric Guitar Body - Bing video

8. pepper56

pepper56 Strat-Talk Member

Heavy? Try playing a 1970 Les Paul Custom for 4 hours straight. Played one for years (the 80s ) then I got a Strat. Never looked back.

WilseyFanPDX likes this.
  9. beep.click

beep.click Strat-Talk Member

My latest Strat clocks in at 9 lbs. and I almost didn't buy it. But it was too good. I'm not one to play a single guitar for an entire set, so I think it will work out.

Namelyguitar likes this.
  10. Uncle Fiesta

Uncle Fiesta Senior Stratmaster

I have two '70s Strats. One is a MIM Classic '70s, weight 7.9 lbs, result comfortable.

The other is a 1979 US Strat, weight 9.7 lbs, result boat anchor.

So my sweet spot is around 8-9 lbs for a Strat. I'd forgive a Les Paul for being a pound or two over that though.

Am currently finishing a paulownia Strat body that only weighs 2 lbs. What the final weight will be when all the parts are on ... who knows?

Namelyguitar likes this.
  11. dspellman

dspellman Strat-Talker

Anything over 11 pounds is heavy. That doesn't mean I won't play it, but I will gripe about it.

12. qblue

qblue Senior Stratmaster

I think the heaviest Les Pauls I played was a Custom from 1955, the one with an Alnico V in the bridge and a P90 in the bridge. This and the 1961 LP -labeled SG with three pickups were heavy, likely >9 lbs.

My 1990 Strat Ultra and the 1970 Stratocaster are both about 8 lbs. I have played these for most of my life and they are typical for Alder Strats. Of nòte the 1970 is a 4 bolt neck typical of '65 to '70 Strats Fender/CBS years, before Leo left the board of his eponymous company; the same Strats Jimi played, big headstocks and all, no bullet necks.

The heaviest guitar I weighed is the 2007 Baja Tele, coming in at 8.8 lbs. It sounds so good I never mind its weight.

I'm mostly commenting on experience because in those days having the guitar was the only thing. Weight has never mattered. And to me it just doesn't matter. However, I bought a 2012 LP Tribute '60's with a chambered body, which weighs 7.4 lbs. The P90's are killer on this lithe beast.

13. Maplelover

Maplelover Strat-Talker

You can two guitars from the same wood (tree) and they'll weigh different. I had a '63 Stratocaster that was light as a feather. Back in the early 70's , here in NE Ohio , you could pick up a 60's Strat/ LP FOR UNDER $300 ! There were sooooo many country players getting older and dumping them. Then at the tail end of the 70's the collectors showed up. BAM up went the affordables. 1978 I bought a new Stratocaster mainly for the color. It was ash and although it had vintage sculpting, etc...it was HEAVY. Since then , I figured that there HAS to be lighter versions, which there is, especially if I'm in the mood to build one from real Fender parts or mod a used one. I just got a brand new alder Fender Telecaster Deluxe body from them to replace a boat anchor , but gorgeous , Telecaster re-do...selling the GFX with gold tailpiece and pearl pick guard...the neck, a 1999 is what I go for now and forever. You can't make your hands or body like anything. Top is the ash, bottom alder. I bet 2 pounds lighter, maybe more. Tomorrow the
    "curved " neck plate comes and it's done. DSCN1369.JPG Dscn1382.jpg

14. hogdog

hogdog Strat-Talk Member

should be right about 6lbs give or take. The swamp ash body in the red one in my profile is 2.5lbs and total weight is 6lb 7.8oz

15. diogoguitar

diogoguitar Senior Stratmaster

i think weight is important, but lighter isn't always better. To me, lightweight is good, but the guitar needs to have good balance neck/body.

Lots of people don't like Gibson SG's neck dive... but lots of them have 6lbs, which is considered light to anyone.
    To me, I would go in this order
    1. At or less than 8.2lbs/3.7kg for strats
    2. Well balanced neck/body
    3. Good resonance
    4. Less weight is better
    I only start looking at less weight if 1-3 above are true.
    For example, my Jackson soloist is normally 7.6lbs. I was able to drop it down to 7.4lbs, but it started to feel neck heavy... and TO MY SHOULDERS IT FELT HEAVIER. So.. balance is one of the most important things for me.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2021
    Seamus OReally likes this.
  16. diogoguitar

diogoguitar Senior Stratmaster

Thanks for the input. 2 questions:
    1. What is your advice for the 30ers when buying a strat?
    2. Any tips for posture?

17. Doc538

Doc538 Strat-Talker

OR buy a Glarry Strat for $80.00 and use the Basswood Body. get down to around 6- 6.5 lbs

18. Doc538

Doc538 Strat-Talker

My Squire Strat was over 8 lbs and was killing my bod. Now its an Epiphone Special or my Glarry Strat @ 5.5lbs, I can play it for hours without strain. a couple of weeks from 68.

19. soulman969

soulman969 Senior Stratmaster

Seems to me this an age centric question the answer to which is that weight becomes inverse to ones current age.

Any solid body I own now is somewhere between roughly 7 1/2 and 9 lbs give or take a couple of ounces. In days of yore many I owned were over 10lbs and a few probably even 11-12lbs.

Now only three hit 9lbs. A PBass, a LP Gold Top, and a G&L ASAT.

Tguitarfloyd likes this.
  20. Hoodster

Hoodster Strat-Talk Member

My Strat is 8.5, but it is such a great guitar I put up with it.

That said, anything over 8 pounds is too heavy in my opinion. I just picked up a Mustang that is 6.4 pounds and feels fantastic!