How important is it for you to eliminate single-coil noise?

Hal Nico

Senior Stratmaster
Apr 28, 2012
JAMOADR
The smart meter is just outside on the wall. The junction box it out there too…. How do I check the meter???

I'm afraid I don't know as it's an unusual circumstance. All I can recall is that the previous poster had to get his apartment super to check the Meter but they never posted back if they fixed it. He tried covering the Meter with metal foil etc but then of course it couldn't do it's job.

I did a quick bit of Searching,

knh555

Most Honored Senior Member
Dec 6, 2016
Massachusetts
Well, I am selling it at 79 Euro plus shipping, which is as low as I can get it, since they are hand-built and use a 3D printed enclosure.

79 is cheaper than a whole set of pickups, though.

The site is quiesound.com, if you want to check it out, thanks.

You might want to register here as a vendor and put this in the vendor section.

Cali Dude

Senior Stratmaster
Aug 9, 2020
California
I really prefer not to have the noise of single coil pickups. I have gigged with both. My favorite set up is lace sensor gold's, with the fender midboost circuit found on the EC Strat.

Ongo Gablogian

Strat-Talker
Feb 18, 2019
Chicago, IL
I would never use any device to remove SC hum. That's part of the sound. I can't imagine there is any way to get rid of it without negatively affecting the sound of the guitar. Besides, it didn't seem to bother Jimi...

Sugarcane

Senior Stratmaster
Nov 24, 2014
On the road
Some people get bothered by strat hum

Others hate the "wet blanket over the amp" feeling of noiseless pups

Me, I just turn up the volume. Bonamassa does that too. Unless you're into smooth jazz, you'll get around. Like some of you already said, noise is part of what the Strat is all about.

thegrasshopper

Strat-Talker
Mar 15, 2021
Spain
Years ago I lived in a wooden house that was right beside a trolley bus line, and it was nearly impossible to record, in that specific place, with single coil pickups, because of the high level of electrical noise.

To fix the problem, I developed a passive device (an open air antenna coil mounted in the control cavity), which eliminated the problem and saved myself from having to switch pickups to stacked humbuckers, which I don't really like, and saved myself some money too.

A while ago, I put up an internet site, and started selling some of these devices, which I build by hand, and I was surprised to find that, apart some top-level guys, I didn't get much response.

So I'm wondering if not enough people really care about removing hum from a classic Strat or, do I need to invest in some serious marketing campaign, to create awareness?

I apologise if this is not the right place to ask.
Would your device eliminate the EMI coming from the computer and monitors? I record myself sitting in my desk pretty close to the computers... It would be nice eliminating this noise

CB91710

No GAS shortage here
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Feb 24, 2019
SoCal
Would your device eliminate the EMI coming from the computer and monitors? I record myself sitting in my desk pretty close to the computers... It would be nice eliminating this noise
If you pick up the noise from a standard humbucker, then a dummy coil won't improve a Strat.

Mustrat

Strat-Talker
Jun 16, 2017
CT River Valley
Not one bit. I turn the volume knob off when I'm not playing and it's habit.

If it buzzes when you play it's broken.

If you stand around at a gig or in a studio with it buzzing you aren't using your instrument it in a professional manner.

Harsh but not sorry.

RL21980

Senior Stratmaster
Jun 10, 2014
Somewhere in the Ford Galaxy...
Humming is part of the single coil experience. I don't even hear it anymore. Personally, any venture into the "noiseless" realm of single coils ended in lifeless tone.
Kinda like boneless chicken. It just lacks flavor.

May work for some. Doesn't work for me.

maxdm

Strat-Talk Member
Dec 19, 2019
Estonia
Humming is part of the single coil experience. I don't even hear it anymore. Personally, any venture into the "noiseless" realm of single coils ended in lifeless tone.
Kinda like boneless chicken. It just lacks flavor.

May work for some. Doesn't work for me.
Some people get bothered by strat hum

Others hate the "wet blanket over the amp" feeling of noiseless pups

Me, I just turn up the volume. Bonamassa does that too. Unless you're into smooth jazz, you'll get around. Like some of you already said, noise is part of what the Strat is all about.

That's part of the reason I made the Hum Remover. Stacked pickups don't sound the same as standard Fender pickups.

The other reason is price, as it costs much less than a set of pickups.

That's a tough one. It does help with electromagnetic interference in general, but, being very high frequency digital noise to begin with, you might get something coming in anyhow. Probably a reduction of noise but not completely quiet.

I think copper foil should do a lot in that case? I have both copper and a Hum Remover, and hardly have any noise coming into the signal.

maxdm

Strat-Talk Member
Dec 19, 2019
Estonia
Just a thought: A lot of pro guitarists use some kind of dummy coil/air coil to remove the hum, including some of the guitar heros we know and love.

It's just not a well-known fact.

Maybe someone here can confirm that SRV and Blackmore eventually had some coils mounted in their strats?

Sometimes, on a large stage with lights, the noise can be overwhelming.

Most of the time it's not so bad, of course..

thegrasshopper

Strat-Talker
Mar 15, 2021
Spain
Just a thought: A lot of pro guitarists use some kind of dummy coil/air coil to remove the hum, including some of the guitar heros we know and love.

Maybe someone here can confirm that SRV and Blackmore eventually had some coils mounted in their strats?

Suhr has its SSCII system, I think it is pretty the same idea

CB91710

No GAS shortage here
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Feb 24, 2019
SoCal

SRV did not use a dummy coil.
The "dummy" spoke of in regard to Blackmore is the fact that his middle pickup was non-functional, it was just an empty cover and not wired to the guitar.

Most noise removal at the pro level is done by the studio engineers.

Horseflesh

Strat-Talk Member
Apr 25, 2022
Seattle-ish
This looks like a cool product. It's nice to have options.

I second the recommendation to try and get exposure through YouTube. The Know Your Gear guy makes good, thoughtful videos.