Join Strat-Talk Today

How is possible I missed this guy.. Rory Gallagher?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by groaner, Oct 6, 2019.

1. Miotch

Miotch Senior Stratmaster

I, also, honestly never remember having heard of him until I joined this site. Sad, but true.

2. usul1978

usul1978 Guitar bricolo Strat-Talk Supporter

Oh come on, you must know him...Wonderwall is such a huge hit !

PCollen and WhiteWabbit like this.
  3. Smylight

Smylight Strat-Talker

Pierre

4. BallisticSquid

BallisticSquid Senior Stratmaster

Back in the late 80's I bought a box of LPs at a garage sale for $10. Among the familiar stuff was a double album called Irish Tour '74 by Rory Gallagher. Never heard of him and it didn't really impact me at the time but years later I saw his name mentioned in a guitar forum so I put it on again. This time it blew me away!!

Cradle Rock is amazing. A Million Miles Away blew me away too. The entire album is just fantastic and Rory is on fire! He played with amazing passion.

There's a video also.

groaner and Willmunny like this.
  5. Silvercrow

Silvercrow Senior Stratmaster

Supposedly Jimi played the 26th, and Gallagher the 28th (August 1970). So I guess Jimi might have been aware of him, but probably not to the extent he would think Rory's playing exceeded his. Not to mention Jimi was dead in Sept. 1970, 3 weeks +/- after the Wight festival.

Hendrix interviewed and played Cavett twice (or maybe 2 segments?)- the last one in 1969. When Cavett said "You're considered one of the greatest guitarists in the world..." Jimi said "Oh. Here we go..."and put his head down. Jimi then said "How about one of the greatest guitarists sitting in this chair..." During the interview previous to this it was clear Jimi did not relish the idea of music being a competition.

But the competitiveness between Clapton and Hendrix is fairly well documented...and apparently Clapton didn't think he was greater than Hendrix although his comments about Jimi at the time were ambivalent, Eric later said (much later interview...LOL) that he was in awe of Jimi's combination of showmanship and musicianship.

All this to say / Point being, Jimi was "quoted" as saying this of Phil Keagey, Clapton, and Gallagher and probably others I'm not yet aware of. None of it supported by video / audio or other testimony.

NONE of this to take away anything from Rory- a phenomenal musician and performer who, like Hendrix, was taken from us WAY too soon...

Brian

6. fezz parka

fezz parka Making a record.... Strat-Talk Supporter

Jimi went to London in 66. Rory went to London in 68. They both knew of each other. It was a small clique of musicians. Played the same clubs. Taste opened for the farewell Cream shows. Toured with Blind Faith. ;)

7. CigBurn

CigBurn Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

The mountain of largely unrecognized yet great guitarists is as big as Everest.

Silvercrow likes this.
  8. Stark

Stark I’m still an idiot and I’m still in love Strat-Talk Supporter

My all-time Rory fave:

9. ToneRanger

ToneRanger Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

The latest version of the story I heard was regarding Terry Kath of Chicago, although Jimi didn't say it in an interview, and feels a little more believable - not as much an urban legend.
    Chicago's manager said Jimi had shown up to one of Chicago's gigs (band members back it up that Jimi was there,) and was in the back watching the band and talking to the manager about how much he would love to record/produce them, and supposedly he said (regarding Terry,) "You do realize he is better than me, right?" The manager said he was dumbstruck by the comment, but said, "who was I to argue with Jimi Hendrix?"

10. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Most Honored Senior Member

yeah baby.. Missing Roy in the world of guitarists is kinda like missing a Cat 5 hurricane while in your 16 foot day sailer....

rk

11. Silvercrow

Pretty safe to say Clapton knew him...;)

I think at one point they were on Polydor or another label at the same time together.

I love seeing those old concert posters...especially from that 60-70s time frame. And the prices associated with the venues back then... And yeah, I do realize $2 to $5 was a bigger sum, comparatively, back then. Still- the artwork involved with some of the tour posters was outstanding!

Brian

groaner likes this.
  12. Malurkey

Malurkey Senior Stratmaster

Our very own @simoncroft knew him a bit as well. Apparently Rory Gallagher was a very sweet guy.

Stark and Silvercrow like this.
  13. guitarface

guitarface Most Honored Senior Member

I don’t mean to pick on you, but the jimi- Rory Gallagher comment never happened. It’s an urban legend. Same goes for the Eric Clapton/prince comment.

My work here is done.

Silvercrow and fezz parka like this.
  14. guitarface

guitarface Most Honored Senior Member

I’ve heard it with billy gibbons too.

Silvercrow likes this.
  15. Blackmore Fan

Blackmore Fan Senior Stratmaster

I've heard the same "Jimi" story but with Billy Gibbons as the punchline.

guitarface likes this.
  16. CigBurn

CigBurn Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Pretty sure Jimi actually said it about John Mayer.

I'll get my coat.

17. Nubs

Nubs Strat-Talker

I also recently discovered him. Amazing talent all-around. Really wish I would've known about him sooner.

Silvercrow likes this.
  18. van lifeson

van lifeson Strat-Talk Member

Saw Rory open for Rush on the Signals tour. Amazing.

19. fezz parka

fezz parka Making a record.... Strat-Talk Supporter

It's safe to say Hendrix knew/knew of him. ;) ;) ;)

They all knew or knew of each other. Green Taylor Clapton Hendrix Valentine Davies Hayward Trower...the list is endless.

In late 70's LA...we all knew each other. Played the same clubs hung out in the same places. You also wanted to know who your "competition" was. Cavazo Rhoads Ed Averre Munoz Collins Alvin Me...we all knew each other.

68 London = 79 L.A. Same thing.

FWIW I always heard the ask Terry Kath version. LOL

20. Silvercrow

DANG! I knew Jimi was into some...mind expanding...things but to foresee Mayer?!? He WAS ahead of his time!

LOL...then and now! I have a youngt friend that's been doing session work in Nashville right out of high school. Very humble guy (as many greats are)- monster bass player. He tells me all the time that he goes to these 'jams' that turn out like the old head-cutting sessions. Fantastic guitarists that are your mailman, the bag-boy at the local A&P...LOL.

I suspect it was like that since the advent of rock & roll. Probably before...

Brian

CigBurn likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.