How long does it take for a D-28 to open up?

Discussion in 'Acoustic Soundboard' started by EC Strat, Mar 4, 2020.

1. telepraise

telepraise Strat-Talker

Stratboy, If you're looking for a guitar that shines for fingerstyle, then the OM/Grand Auditorium bodies are where you want to be. The tighter waist and often shallower body push the mids out more to the front. There's still plenty of bass in them (especially if you amplify them) without the boominess of a dred. Some OMs also are slightly wider in the nut and/or the bridge to facilitate fingerstyle.

For flatpicking the D28 is the undisputed icon, but they do vary more than you'd expect. Many boutique builders have successfully built on that model and are more consistent, albeit at twice the price. And yes, nitro finished acoustics do take time to open up (kind of like guitar amp speakers). IME, the biggest changes happen in the first 3 years. Nitrocellulose is chemically related to wood, and over time melts its way into the wood, especially spruce- instead of just sitting on the surface. Thus, in guitars many years old, you'll see grain lines telegraphing through to the surface where it was totally gloss flat when new. This process makes for a very lively, harmonically complex instrument 40 years down the road. Probably TMI for you, enjoy the hunt!

Violeiro likes this.
  2. telepraise

telepraise Strat-Talker

duplicate post

3. Nate D

Nate D Most Honored Senior Member

My OM has been great since day one. This sounds silly though, strings matter on acoustics. I find a lot of strings to be dull sounding and don't compliment the guitar.

EC Strat likes this.
  4. clydethecat

clydethecat Strat-O-Master

A shop here had a Martin event last fall. I was unimpressed by any of the new models until they pulled out the D28 Authentic 1937, which had everything I was wanting, but not hearing, from the others. Of course it's three times the price I'd be willing to pay for an acoustic...

EC Strat likes this.
  5. Violeiro

Violeiro Strat-Talker Silver Member

They do open up beautifully. A few months ago I bought a standard D-28 and it sounded just like you described but after a month or two it is a whole different guitar...it rings and rings, beautiful.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk