How long does it take Olympic white to turn yellow?

nullaccount

Senior Stratmaster
Jan 12, 2022
Florida
I’ve really been digging Olympic white Strats, but I don’t care for the look of them when they turn yellow.

I have an old Inca silver that is now greenish. I don’t want the same thing to happen if do get an Olympic white one.

Does anyone have photos of their’s or tell if it has turned yellow, and say how old it is.

Torvald

Senior Stratmaster
May 3, 2019
Northwest
I don't care for the yellow ones either. I painted one GM White (Duplicolor). Just an off white. I'm hoping the clear coats won't turn it yellow.

Hanaywhat

Strat-Talker
Mar 23, 2022
Vancouver Island
I’ve really been digging Olympic white Strats, but I don’t care for the look of them when they turn yellow.

I have an old Inca silver that is now greenish. I don’t want the same thing to happen if do get an Olympic white one.

Does anyone have photos of their’s or tell if it has turned yellow, and say how old it is.
2001 MIM Strat

Attachments

• IMG_20220515_193218279.jpg
    IMG_20220515_193218279.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 22

nullaccount

Senior Stratmaster
Jan 12, 2022
Florida
Depends on the specific paint and the environment. If you want white that doesn't yellow, you should consider arctic white instead.
Ya, but that creamy, off-white, that’s what does it for me. Still, you have a good point. I wonder if cars painted with Olympic white turn yellow, being out in the sun. Probably not. Maybe a different top coat?

Guy Incognito

Senior Stratmaster
May 14, 2019
Here and now

The yellowing is due to exposure to light and or smoke. On the newer guitars it takes as lot longer to yellow but still will if exposed. Just put it away when you're not playing and it will stay the color it is for a very long time.

Stu78

Senior Stratmaster
Apr 20, 2019
Scotland
The yellowing is due to exposure to light and or smoke. On the newer guitars it takes as lot longer to yellow but still will if exposed. Just put it away when you're not playing and it will stay the color it is for a very long time.
Or play it in a hermetically sealed, smoke & UV free bubble. Although putting it back in it's case would probably be easier. 🤣

bluejazzoid

Strats Amore
Silver Member
Aug 14, 2009
Southeast USA
tenor.gif

Guy Incognito

Senior Stratmaster
May 14, 2019
Here and now
Or play it in a hermetically sealed, smoke & UV free bubble. Although putting it back in it's case would probably be easier. 🤣
I personally am not one to keep guitars in cases as I like having them out. However, it does slow down the aging if you do it.

My current favorite guitar was exposed to at least a lifetime of smoke and light. IMO it has turned the perfect color.
IMG_20220413_130409843~2.jpg
This started as a Heritage Cherry. The only hint of Cherry now is where the pickguard was.

dirocyn

Most Honored Senior Member
Jan 20, 2018
Murfreesboro, TN
Ya, but that creamy, off-white, that’s what does it for me. Still, you have a good point. I wonder if cars painted with Olympic white turn yellow, being out in the sun. Probably not. Maybe a different top coat?

Fender used the same paint as GM, back in the early days. An Oly White 59 Fender would have used the exact same paint as an Oly White 59 Cadillac. And yes, they did yellow, rub off etc. Which is part of why most of the cars from back then are rusted-out hulks--or were garage kept and may have been resprayed, too.

Modern paints are generally better at holding their color and are generally longer lasting.

This Squier P-Bass has been slowly yellowing since 1991 (I bought it in 1993). It's been in a few smoky bars, but rarely in direct sunlight.

1652731200439.png