1. Enter to Win one of two Strats we are giving away! An American Pro II Strat HSS and a Squier Classic Vibe Strat. To see the prizes and rules: https://www.strat-talk.com/pages/2020_Fundraiser_giveaway/ To enter: https://www.strat-talk.com/account/upgrades To enter, simply upgrade to silver (1 entry), gold (2 entries), platinum (5 entries), or double platinum supporting membership (10 entries). November 5th is the last day to enter!

How long for nitro to relic?

Discussion in 'DIY Strat Forum' started by JazzyB, Sep 23, 2020.

1. JazzyB

JazzyB Strat-Talk Member

Hey everyone,

Looking to sell my current Strat and get one of the Mary Kaye starts in white blondehttps://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/prod...MInPzXw-_96wIVjentCh32zQa3EAQYASABEgKiqvD_BwE. The body and neck are finished in nitro and I really like the relic look but only through genuine wear and tear. Just wondering how long it would take for it to look road warn like paint rubbing off to reveal wood etc

Thanks a lot!

Scott Baxendale likes this.
  2. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Dr. Stratster

it depends entirely how much you play it, and how rough you are on it.

There are 50s strats that still look pristine, and there are probably 2018 nitro finished strats that look beat.

Nate D, CB91710, JazzyB and 1 other person like this.
  3. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh needs you to go ahead and come in on Sunday, too.

Totally depends on how often and how hard you play it, and how well you care for it. If it's a case queen it won't really "relic" at all except for maybe some checking in the finish as the nitro ages.

Nate D, JazzyB and StummerJoe like this.
  4. StummerJoe

StummerJoe Senior Stratmaster

The previous two replies are spot on.

JazzyB likes this.
  5. Paperback Rocker

Paperback Rocker Do it or screw it.

Honest wear will take a long time.

Chips and dings can happen a heck of a lot faster.

If that's your main guitar and you play a lot, it will all happen naturally. Don't be overprotective of it, that's for sure.

Nate D, StummerJoe and JazzyB like this.
  6. JazzyB

JazzyB Strat-Talk Member

Thanks for the quick replies, the strat I’ve got atm is poly and I just think it’s never gonna look aged. Just hoping that with w nitro in a couple years will have a nice hit of wear, I look after pretty well but definitely not a case queen lol

Nate D and StummerJoe like this.
  7. Agtronic

Agtronic Strat-O-Master

I can attest to poly not aging. I've played my '99 so much, I wish it had an hourmeter on it. I've worn the frets down to unplayable, I've hit it, dropped it, bitten it (don't ask), accidentally hit ceilings with it etc. I respect it, but I'm not really careful with it.

From about 5 feet away, it looks brand new. The only thing that has changed over the years is that the maple neck has darkened considerably and the paint on the body has yellowed unevenly, and the pickguard too. If this were a nitro-finished guitar, no doubt it would look beat.

1.jpeg 2.jpeg

8. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh needs you to go ahead and come in on Sunday, too.

Hey man, nobody's judging here.

Agtronic, StummerJoe and JazzyB like this.
  9. JazzyB

JazzyB Strat-Talk Member

I’ve gotta ask thanks for the pics!

10. Believer7713

Believer7713 The Pink Bunny Frankenstein Silver Member

If you want to speed it up a bit then wrap some 600 grit sandpaper around your forearm when you play. Then borrow a couple if Dolly Parton's fingernails for your pick hand. You should start to see some results in no time.:p

Jerseystratfiend and Stonetone like this.
  11. JazzyB

JazzyB Strat-Talk Member

Haha I’ll give it a try

Believer7713 likes this.
  12. Paperback Rocker

Paperback Rocker Do it or screw it.

Exactly right. Poly will probably stay looking new for a very very very very very very very very long time.

A couple years with your nitro guitar will no doubt be showing some aging. The adhesion of the lacquer over the white stain will determine a lot of how it ages, too, as far as chips go. Sometimes white pigment will lessen the adhesion because it lies between the coating and the wood, but the Mary Kaye has minimal pigment, so the adhesion may not be affected. I have had adhesion problems on sunbursts, for example, in the black area where the pigment is heavy. I had a Classic Series Lacquer that was aging FAST due to that.

The coating may yellow, especially if it's put in the sunlight. And that's not reversible.

You can crack the nitro yourself, if you want the spiderweb look. It may or may not happen on its own over time.

Nate D and JazzyB like this.
  13. fezz parka

fezz parka fezz parka

If you live where it gets below freezing, take it in and out of the house a few times. It'll check like nobody's business. Playing wear takes time...so get to work. :D

14. vid1900

vid1900 Most Honored Senior Member

Fender "nitro" from the last decade wears very fast.

Let it get super cold in the trunk of the car, then open the case under the stage lights; instant checking.

StummerJoe and JazzyB like this.
  15. Mr C

Mr C Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

Those AM original series will not relic like an old guitar so if that's what you are after look elsewhere - the original series was done as an answer to the previous pure vintages super thin hard paint being too easily damaged. These have a poly base coat under the nitro. Try and find a used PV series strat would be my advice - they're better guitars all around if you're into the vintage vibe... There will be heaps available on ebay or used through a dealer in the UK...

Alexb1090 and JazzyB like this.
  16. JazzyB

JazzyB Strat-Talk Member

Oh that sucks I didn’t know that, was hoping it was the same as the old nitro finishes and maybe thinner cause it was see through

thanks for all the replies!

17. scooteraz

scooteraz Senior Stratmaster

The guitar in my avatar is “relic ready”. When I inquired into that, I was told it had fewer coats of actual nitro in order to age faster. Not something I was looking for, but the guitar is quite nice, nonetheless.

JazzyB likes this.
  18. dirocyn

dirocyn Senior Stratmaster

A fair amount of natural relicing is not from playing, it's from touring. Back in the 50s and 60s artists would pretty much live out of a car. The guitar goes in the trunk while they drive to the next town for the next show. Even with a good case, if you play for 2-3 hours per day and keep the guitar in the trunk of a car the rest of the time, it really won't take many years for nitro to show some serious wear.

Some of the forearm wear you see in old, naturally reliced guitars may be finish damage caused by a reaction between the guitar finish and DEET in insect repellent on the player's arms. That stuff eats nitrocellulose.

JazzyB likes this.
  19. Jigawatt

Jigawatt Strat-Talker

If you use it on a few gigs in the winter, cold car, warm venue. My AV 62 Hot rod was covered in checking over night. Mine is very delicate though. If you knock it you’re guaranteed to have a chip.

JazzyB likes this.
  20. BlacknBlue

BlacknBlue Strat-O-Master

I have a 2013 AV 62 Hot Rod with a Nitro finish, aside from a few dings which none are too the wood it looks pretty much brand new. I don't play it every day but it has seen some gigs, some of which were outdoors and VERY hot.

The Olympic White finish has darkened just a bit but other than that you really can't see any wear unless you look at it under a bright light at just the right angle, then you can see a lot of surface scratches especially above the pickguard, I sometimes strum pretty hard.