1. Enter to Win one of two Strats we are giving away! An American Pro II Strat HSS and a Squier Classic Vibe Strat. To see the prizes and rules: https://www.strat-talk.com/pages/2020_Fundraiser_giveaway/ To enter: https://www.strat-talk.com/account/upgrades To enter, simply upgrade to silver (1 entry), gold (2 entries), platinum (5 entries), or double platinum supporting membership (10 entries). November 5th is the last day to enter!

How long for nitro to relic?

Discussion in 'DIY Strat Forum' started by JazzyB, Sep 23, 2020.

1. StummerJoe

StummerJoe Senior Stratmaster

I have a 2012 Wildwood '54 thinskin. While the finish isn't thick, it has been taking me years of hard playing to get wear on it.

2. mistermikev

mistermikev Strat-Talker

take it to your local jam night and loan it out to everyone. it'll get relic'd faster! don't be surprised to find some dents and dings but they'll be real for better or for worse. I've got a jem that I bought in 2000 that was made in 89. still has the sm dings it had in 2000 and I play it a couple times a month and it has sat on my wall the whole time. I suspect that if I had bought a 60's strat 30 years ago it'd look pretty good... probably not even a lot of checking because I never gig. it's the temp changes that do the checking. you could have a brand new strat (as long as it was nitro) and leave it out in the cold for a couple of hours... bring it indoors and let it warm up fast... blamo. checking everywhere.

3. DJGranite

DJGranite Strat-O-Master

If you really Want it to have the relic look just leave on a stand in a living room occupied by 3 children under the age of 5 and a big happy dog.
    About a week should do it.

mistermikev and jvin248 like this.
  4. Nate D

Nate D Most Honored Senior Member

The real vintage guitars back in the 50’s and 60’s were around when everything else was vintage. Cars didn’t have AC and climate control in houses was spotty at best. Most of these guitars were the players’ only guitar and subsequently, if it was owned by a studio or gigging musician, it got played a lot under these less than controlled temperatures and humidity levels like we have today. That all caused these guitars to age more rapidly. Oh and they were around when everybody smoked everywhere.

If you want to really age your guitar you’ll need to play it in hot muggy environments a lot. You gotta get sweaty.

Paperback Rocker likes this.
  5. Guy Named Sue

Guy Named Sue Censored

Just keep putting the body it in and out of the freezer till you're satisfied. Dont do that with the neck it might cause it to warp

Nate D and Paperback Rocker like this.
  6. jvin248

jvin248 Senior Stratmaster

Wear a biker jacket festooned with big zippers and buckles and the sleeve snaps ... you'll have it in no time.

Stick strips of 80 grit sandpaper to your sleeves and play your favorite songs.

7. amstratnut

amstratnut Peace thru Music.

Why wait?

tumblr_noe58tf1Ft1ts6xbro1_1280.png

Nate D likes this.
  8. Guy Named Sue

Guy Named Sue Censored

Thats how Stevie did it when he wanted to gain some street cred as a heavy blues player. Not many people know that about him.

Nate D and amstratnut like this.
  9. Nate D

Nate D Most Honored Senior Member

Huh?

10. Guy Named Sue

Guy Named Sue Censored

Yeah you don't know that? He used to ride his truck round Dallas with his strat hooked liked that so it would get bruised up.

Nate D likes this.
  11. Scott Baxendale

Scott Baxendale Strat-O-Master Gold Supporting Member

That all depends on you. How hard you play, how much you play, how much you baby your guitar and how much extreme environmental changes the guitar goes through Over a given time. A guitar in the road for a 3 hour show 5 nights a week will “naturally” relic Much faster than if it lives in a studio. Gig your butt off and it will age faster.

12. Mr C

Mr C Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

This technique worked on all of my guitars (and on me come to think of it, I remember being new and shiny before the kids too)

DJGranite likes this.