How many guitars is too many???

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by Tdurden032, Jun 28, 2020.

1. Ebidis

Ebidis Providing the world with flat bends since 1985

13 is unlucky. So you need to dump one, or get one more. :D

2. JB74

JB74 Senior Stratmaster

The "N+1" rule of acceptable ownership standards applies to Guitar acquisition.

Extrapolation of variable N:

"N represents the number of guitars you currently have a financial interest in, or own outright"

;)

Jesse414 and Lewbypls like this.
  3. 3bolt79

3bolt79 Dr. Stratster

Well, I had 20. However, are for my kids and grandkids. I also sold one to a friend, and I have a Squier that I’m saving for Secret Santa this year. So that will leave me with a grand total of 14. I have four that were expensive, and of those four I could have bought a brand new Toyota Corolla with the money that I spent on them. Those four guitars will follow me until I die. The rest of them were cheap to mid-priced.

I’m gonna try not to get any more guitars until next summer. My wife lets me buy guitars whenever I want., as long as we’ve got money to pay the bills, she doesn’t mind. I bought 2 on credit at 0% interest. So no more for me unless I have the cash. Luckily, those two guitars are the only debt I have, and one was a limited edition that I just had to have, and the other one is a tool for gigging, and at a price I couldn’t refuse.

I guess that too many guitars for me would be if I have more guitars than I have hard cases for them. The only guitar that I don’t have a case for is my Squier Bullett, but that one is going away at Christmas time. And for my Kramer’s, I have 3 cases on back order. So I will be all set to move in the Spring.

They all get played. So I don’t know actually a number that constitutes “Too Many”. However, the “Right” number of guitars always tends to be just one more!

Jesse414, Tdurden032 and nickmsmith like this.
  4. exactopposite

exactopposite Strat-Talk Member

I have 7 but I've never been one to buy and sell a lot of stuff. When I buy a guitar I intend to keep it for life.

In 20 years of playing, I have only ever sold 2 of them. 1 was my very first guitar that had a floyd rose monstrosity I grew to hate. The other has been given to me by and ex and I didn't want it around anymore.I have also only sold 4 amps. I own 4 amps now and 2-3 of them need to go.

Jesse414, 3bolt79 and Lanaka like this.
  5. Lanaka

Lanaka Strat-Talk Member

Hoooboy, I'm probably one of the worst person to answer this question but I take a shot at it based on my experiences. I'd say that its possible to have too many guitars, however the exact MAX numbers WILL vary from person to person depending on a variety of variables. Such limiting variables can include income to support such acquistions, space available to house said acquisitions, quantity tolerance of the significant other, to name a few chief examples.

As long as every guitar has its own unique voice/tone, each guitar will work best in a specific areas of music, unless its built to be musically versatile. BUT those guitars tend to be more complicated to operate and not as intuitive. I should know, I've rebuilt quite a few guitars with as many as 4 push/pulls, 8 toggles, or 6 pups. ...NOT all in the same guitar, even I'm not that crazy or a glutton for self-inflicted torture trying to install all THAT in a single guitar, hell I don't know if they CAN fit in a single guitar, LOL! Altho I DID try cramming a HSSH, 2 p/p, 4 pots, 4 toggles into a strat. Don't think I'll do THAT again, LOL.

At this point, methinks ye are on a sensible path. I'd think "the one" would either stop ye from buying more guitars, or more likely, slow down the expansion of your tonal palette of guitars. Exactly where in that range ye fall depends on the type of guitarist ye are. If ye just play one "genre/style/song" then yer more likely to be satisfied with that "one," and may keep a few others just for variety (altho I know a FEW "pro" guitarist who claims to stick to JUST one guitar out of fear the others may contaminate/dilute their playing).

OTOH, if ye play a variety of "genres/styles/songs" (which I interpret as ye being in this camp), then it might be more advantageous to have a few more guitar to cover a broad section of musical tastes. Exactly how many? That depends on the earlier limiting variables balanced to the following growth variables: How many genre/styles ye play, how many dedicated guitars ye want for each of those genre/styles, can ye afford getting/keeping said numbers of guitars (both financially and space-wise), how serious are ye about expanding yer skills/abilities to play those different genre/styles, etc.

In the professional guitarist world, it is rare indeed to find one with just one guitar the entire career. More likely are those having a few, with one axe being their main weapon of choice (which may change over time) with others serving specific purposes like just one song! Also not uncommon are those who has dozens or even hundreds of guitars, but even they only have a few that is part of what I like to call their active rotation. This is especially true if said artist tours or travel extensively. It cost a lotta $$$ to ship a bunch guitars, amps, and other paraphernalia!

I currently own 71 instruments, between mostly electrics, a few acoustics and some ukuleles. I'm in Hawaii, so that's expected, yes? ;)

A general breakdown without being too specific (which would fill an entire thread by itself) are as follow:

19 Acoustic Guitars
    03 classical parlors
    01 standard parlor
    02 full sizes and
    01 dreadnought
    10 Acoustic Ukuleles
    01 Banjolele
    01 Mexican Vihuela
    (tuned as a 5-string baritone ukulele)

(Of these 6 are in my active rotation, 4 ukulele and 2 parlors, my dreadnought is being repaired.)

51 Electrics
    06 Angular "Metal" Types
    Vs, Explorers & similar
    04 Bass Types
    06 Les Paul/Singlecut Types
    04 Vintage Offset Types
    04 Oddball Types
    03 SG Types
    21 Strat Types
    01 Tele Type
    02 Electric Ukuleles

(Of these, 19 are Active Rotation: Jackson JRR-94 Concept V, Cort Flying V, Kramer/Epiphone Voyager Hybrid, Samick short-scale bass, Univox 'Lectra violin bass, Ibanez 6-string long-scale bass, Agile AL-3010 LP, Austin AU-766 LP, "Concert" MIJ Jazzmaster, Yamaha SC-300T Beach Banana, Yamaha EGV-103C Flying Samurai, Epiphone Ltd Ed Genesis Pro DX, Fender MIM Standard, Fender MIJ Tribute Standard, Squier Stagemaster HSH DX, Fender Starcaster S1, Charvel Model 4, Stage CS-327, Aria II Pro "The Cat," Austin AU-731 Strat and a Washburn Pro X12. Technically, 6 of them are more accurately Active Projects that I'm currently working on now.)

Honestly I don't think I have any that can solely be called my "Number One." My Agile AL-3010 is currently the King of the Singlecuts (which may soon be dethroned by an upcoming acquisition, a PRS SC 10-Top). My Jackson JRR-94 Concept V and Yamaha SC-300T will ALWAY have a place of honor in my collection as being my FIRST electrics (bought them both on the same day and place). But it helps that they are rulers in the Extreme Angular and the Offset set. The Cort Flying V and Concert Jazzmaster are close seconds in those groups. The Strat Camp is lead by the Stage and the 4 Fenders/Squiers. I suspect the Aria II Pro "The Cat" and the Charvel Model 4 I'm currently working on may well end up on my active strat list too!

Nadnitram, Tdurden032 and 3bolt79 like this.
  6. Torvald

Torvald Strat-O-Master

Damn, you're right! I better do another count. I might need another one.

Ebidis likes this.
  7. Lanaka

Lanaka Strat-Talk Member

Wow, when I started composing my response (I tend to be slow and deliberate with many rereading and proof reading) the thread was only 1 page and a few responses. When I uploaded it was 3 pages long, LOL! Well some of the interim responses are also valid IMO, especially the one about giving satisfaction. That is the reason why I don't plan liquidating my collection anytime soon, even tho some family and friends (who are NOT musicians of any type) keep urging me to downsize. Altho I may let go some of the excess ukuleles as I actually need only a couple sopranos, concerts and tenors. Still looking for a few baritones tho, lol!

8. Ian Ashdown

Ian Ashdown Strat-O-Master

No one questioning why 42?

Ian

9. Lanaka

Lanaka Strat-Talk Member

TBH, I think 13 being unlucky is just a superstition, especially as it is also a favorite number with me (along with the other members of the Prime number series; 1, 3, 5, 7, 11, 13, 17...).

BUT, any excuse to get another guitar... :D

10. Lanaka

Lanaka Strat-Talk Member

Don't forget yer blanket!

11. 3bolt79

3bolt79 Dr. Stratster

A couple of years ago, I got to talk with Brad Gillis for a couple of hours after a show. He stated that he has over 120 guitars. I wouldn’t have room to store 71 guitars, let alone 120, in my current house. I am moving next spring to live with my son. His garage has been converted into a large room. It was a three car garage, and he wants to build a studio in it, and hang guitars all over the walls. It should be a lot of fun.

We are going to buy a humidifier/dehumidifier for the room. How do you keep your guitars from being excessively humidified? The guitar I worry about the most is my Brian May replica. I am worried about over humidification in the spring and fall, and too little humidity in the summer and winter. So far it has been living in its case with a couple of desiccant packs, and has been fine, as the humidity here is 40% to 55% most of the year. My luthier built classical lives in a Humicase Metro II with D’Addario Humidipaks.

Lanaka likes this.
  12. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon

OK then, if that's the way we're counting...

7 guitars (including 2 1950s archtops requiring major surgery)

1 Bass

1 Mandolin

1 Mandola

1 Ukulele-banjo

Ebidis and 3bolt79 like this.
  13. tinkertoy

tinkertoy Strat-O-Master

I have 9 total, but 1 almost never gets played.

I had 10 until I gave my daughter one.

I have a nice variety that more than covers what i do.

But somehow I feel like I need another RG and another strat.

That said, I think 10 is the limit.

I'd like to offload a few but I can't. I truly like everything I own. If I dont buy them in the first place, I cant get attached to them, and I won't have that problem.

Simple:cool:

14. RaySachs

RaySachs Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

There’s obviously a different answer for everyone, for me four is the most I ever want to own and I’ve happily gone very long periods with two. Gotta have one good acoustic and if I have the right one, I don’t need another. I’m very happy with one now, but I’ve had two at times. I play a strat about 90% of the time so I could get by with one electric too - I had just one strat for a very long time too. One strat, one Martin is all I need. I also REALLY love P90s too, though, so I like to keep something with P90s around. I have a fairly new Epiphone SG with P90s that’s a great second electric. So, for me, five is too many but I have to get below 2 to have too few. 2-3 seems to suit me best. Any more and I spend too much time playing sounds and not enough playing music.

-Ray

Last edited: Jun 29, 2020
    Ruscio and 3bolt79 like this.
  15. Bladesg

Bladesg Funk Meister Silver Member

The number doesn't matter. In my opinion what matters is if they get played and I'll own as many as I'll continually rotate and play. I don't sell guitars either so I consider pretty seriously when I buy whether it will get played or not. If I suspect it won't get played then I don't buy. Simple

Thrup'ny Bit likes this.
  16. fommof

fommof Strat-Talker

I have "only" three electrics and I feel like I have a lot of guitars already and I play for 30 years now. One of them, my oldest, is kinda retired (the last couple of years has only seen a couple of days of use on some of my recordings, only one song to be honest) while the other two are my #1's and active.

The truth is that the last month I've been using only one of them both for playing and recording but idealy, two guitars would be plenty enough for me.

I never liked any instruments that are not getting played and just collect dust so I was never owned more than 3 guitars at the same time. And I would really love to get rid of my third one, the retired, but after almost 3 decades of modding and customizing it to my taste it could only be sold for peanuts and I am not willing to do that.

Obviously, anyone's MMV.

17. HighwayStar106

HighwayStar106 Senior Stratmaster

I think the minimum I could thin my collection down to would be 4:
    Fender Lone Star Strat
    Esquire partscaster, although I'd probably put a neck pickup in it
    Epiphone Dot
    Acoustic

But really, I couldn't bring myself to do it. Plus if I sold some, I'd have 3 empty stands and some money burning a hole in my pocket...

18. OldGuitarPlayer

OldGuitarPlayer Senior Stratmaster

I have never been one to hoard guitars. Currently I have 2 inexpensive guitars. One vintage mid 70's Japanese made dreadnaught acoustic and one made in China strat copy that right now gets played through a crappy practice amp. Even when I was gigging I never had more than 2 electric guitars and one amp. I love electric guitars as much as anyone else here but once I find something I like I tend just stick with it.

19. grritz

grritz Still 17 between the ears Silver Member

93. I'd say 93. Yeah, 93 is a good, round number. So, I'd go with 93. I mean, 93 is good. Anything more is just too many!

20. eclecticsynergy

eclecticsynergy Senior Stratmaster

I follow this method for thinning the herd:

"Pick up one of your guitars and if it doesn't bring you joy, get rid of it."

Deafsoundguy and Gridlock like this.