How many guitars is too many???

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by Tdurden032, Jun 28, 2020.

1. guitarchaeologist

guitarchaeologist Artist Formerly Known as π Strat-Talk Supporter

The answer is three- three is one too many... unless you ask Douglas Adams (author of the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy), then the answer is 42.

2. RobZ69

RobZ69 Senior Stratmaster

I use RobZ equation.

Gmax = H + (S - 1) + C

Gmax - Maximum feasible number of guitars in my possession
    H - number of available wall hangers
    S - number of available stands
    C - number of cases I can consciously store in the house*

Then it becomes obvious that:
    Gtoomany = Gmax + 1

* There are those who think they have proof that replacing C with
    (Fa * fFc)
    would lead to a better approximation of Gmax. But I think, in that case one would need to also factor in the willingness to spend more money on cases, which would make it the same as C, just more complicated....

Hippieway likes this.
  3. RobZ69

Indeed. I've just given the underlying scientific evidence for Enough in my previous post.
    It's practically a law of nature!
    ;)

4. Hippieway

Hippieway Strat-Talker

There is no correct answer to how many is too many. For me I would think about ten would be a good number. However I own twenty and not the kind of guy to ignore GAS. I am in a heartless phase of selling some off, actually sold an acoustic this weekend. If I could sell a couple more I would be in market for a nice upgrade.

Nick-O likes this.
  5. RobZ69

I would say almost any answer except 0 is the correct answer...:whistling:

6. Hanson

Hanson Strat-O-Master

Bonamassa may have to many. I’m guessing he’s not done yet.

Nick-O likes this.
  7. Lone Woof

Lone Woof Senior Stratmaster

71 instruments and no bass, no lap steel, no resonator, no 12-string, no Bajo Quinto? Pfffft.

8. axejock

axejock Senior Stratmaster

I currently have 33 guitars, all electrics except for one acoustic. More than half of those are Strats and Teles. I sell/trade/buy quite a lot in a quest to increase the quality and desirability and brands of the guitars on hand. I have good storage, have a rotation procedure so all get played, displayed, and maintained, and I am getting close to being satisfied with the "collection" I have put together. It is a hobby and passion for me and I'm always looking for an upgrade, but that has slowed as I close in on having most "itches scratched". It's a great pastime for a retired, senior citizen with the only downside being increasing arthritis in my fingers, which certainly limits my playing capability. But that is just a nuisance that doesn't impact my guitar fetish!!

Nick-O likes this.
  9. Nick-O

Nick-O Senior Stratmaster

Wow...I am amazed at some of the numbers y'all have. Not a bad thing, just amazed. I only have a 1200 sq ft house so I didn't have much room, then I sold almost everything over the past year and I have empty racks and even an empty case!! Working on getting back up to 3, but so far not doing well!! hahaha..

10. 98bigapple

98bigapple Strat-Talker

As long as you can afford them, and the number you have does not cause stress in your relationships whatever you have is fine. Me, I have 12 electrics and two acoustic guitars. It's a lot for me. I may pare down at some point. I play most of them but I don't gig anymore. One almost never gets played but it was my first Gibson that I bought in 1986, a 1977 RD artist. So I guess it's a personal choice.

11. ZlurkCorzDog

ZlurkCorzDog INMATE #7XX7XX7 Strat-Talk Supporter

12. gretev

gretev Strat-Talker

I think the only answer is: more than you want to own. If you own 100 guitars and play 100 guitars, that‘s cool. If you are a collector and never play and own 100 guitars and want to own 100 guitars, that‘s cool too. If you own 100 guitars and they bug you and just take up space and you wanna get rid of em, that‘s not cool and it‘s too many!

13. Stratoman10

Stratoman10 Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

I have six. They're all different enough that they aren't duplicates. All the bases I want covered are covered . I wouldn't mind an EJ Strat but I'm not currently looking and won't be anytime soon. But if one fell into my lap at an awesome price I could be swayed

14. circles

circles Resident Pinball Enthusiast Strat-Talk Supporter

15. BuckNekkid

BuckNekkid Strat-Talker

Well, let's see... guitars, cars, cameras, guns... do I detect a pattern here?

RL21980 likes this.
  16. chicago slim

chicago slim Strat-O-Master

I currently have 7 Strat's, 4 PRS guitars and a Takamine acoustic. I was a working guitarist, and I separated my guitars into: ones I would use for important shows when playing for recording artists, ones that I would use for the band that I front, ones that I would use while giving guitar lessons (I always tried to use guitars that my students could afford), and ones that I would use when playing for free.

I did however, play enough that I could wear frets out in a year, if I liked playing a guitar. As I was playing for a living, I wouldn't risk damaging a favorite guitar, while playing for free. As a Music Director at church, I would work on new songs each week, trying them on a guitar tuned to Eb. I had learned to preserve my voice, as well as my favorite guitars. Then if I decided to do the song, I would then work on my vocals in standard pitch.

I still tend to keep some guitars in Standard pitch, and some detuned to Eb and a whole step down in D. This pretty much helps me justify my multiple Strat's. Recently, instead of buying more Strat's, I started upgrading them. My Mexican Strat's now have American loaded pickguards, and my Classic Vibes also have upgraded loaded Guards.

17. ThebiggestJerk

ThebiggestJerk Strat-O-Master

Just give me one more.

18. Otisblove

Otisblove Senior Stratmaster

You just got an honest to goodness laugh out loud from me, my friend.

Antstrat likes this.
  19. slowesthand

slowesthand Senior Stratmaster

Two more guitars than you already have is too many,
    Just one more is enough.

20. Dadocaster

Dadocaster Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

As far as playing goes, after about 4 you stop regularly playing some.